Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
arooni
Groupie
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
speeding up searches from PW4

I have fuzzy search enabled, and only the GNU english collaborative dictionary enabled and lookups seem to take *forever*. only sore spot in my opinion for koreader.

i would turn off fuzzy search but it seems if i do, and i want to cancel the lookup half way thru (for taking too long) there's no way to do it.

any ideas?

thanks!
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
I don't even have time to see the 'Searching dictionary for...' toast on my Forma, so, err, I don't know? .

Even on the H2O, with its terrible storage performance, it's pretty decent.

I imagine it could possibly be a weird performance issue with the way the userstore is implemented on Kindle... but I'm also not seeing anything wrong on my PW2, which sits neatly between the H2O and the Forma in terms of performance, as expected (although, mostly closer to the H2O, which, again, makes sense, given the age).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which leads me to wonder if it's not simply the Kindle system that's simply spinning like an idiot in the background...
Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You could also check how things behave with the device plugged in, as that *may* help bumping the CPU frequency in a more consistent manner.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What specifically are you looking up? I don't think I can trigger anything slower than a couple of seconds (which may feel like a small eternity but you still hardly even have time to cancel it) but perhaps specific search terms might yield worse results?
Frenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
arooni
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
What specifically are you looking up? I don't think I can trigger anything slower than a couple of seconds (which may feel like a small eternity but you still hardly even have time to cancel it) but perhaps specific search terms might yield worse results?
Just words I don't know really. would turning off fuzzy search be helpful? the last time i did that i found i crashed koreader a lot especially when it couldn't find a definition.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It mostly appears to simply skip drawing the 'Searching dictionary for...' toast on my end. It's probably faster, too, but since it's not slow to begin with over here... .
Old 07-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Frenzie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Just words I don't know really. would turning off fuzzy search be helpful? the last time i did that i found i crashed koreader a lot especially when it couldn't find a definition.
I don't know why the PW4 would be so problematic. But yes, turning off fuzzy search is significantly faster. But unless you have a ton of dictionaries it really shouldn't take more than a few seconds anyway.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
arooni
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I don't know why the PW4 would be so problematic. But yes, turning off fuzzy search is significantly faster. But unless you have a ton of dictionaries it really shouldn't take more than a few seconds anyway.
Trouble is; I look up a word like "viral" with fuzzy search turned off. And there's no way to cancel a lookup for a word that is taking too long. opened a feature request for this feature.

the paperwhite isn't exactly a speed demon

Last edited by arooni; 07-28-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:35 AM   #10
Frenzie
Guru

Quote:
the paperwhite isn't exactly a speed demon
Not compared to a similarly priced 2018 cellphone, where perhaps the screen takes a smaller cut of the budget or the profit margin is smaller, but that depends a bit on your frame of reference.

Any on-device results I mention are based on my 2014 H2O, which will (or should) be quite appreciably slower in CPU and I/O than the PW4. Like @NiLuJe said, it's the difference between seeing "searching dictionary for…" for a second and not seeing it at all.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 AM   #11
Alan_S
Addict
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
And there's no way to cancel a lookup for a word that is taking too long. opened a feature request for this feature.
Tap outside dictionary window should stop search, if I remember correctly. Anyway, tapping somewhere should stop search, I'm sure, as I also get a lot of too long searches I know that I use search stop pretty often.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote