Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #256
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
I received mine yesterday as well - loaded it up with the odd 400 books I have on my Voyage. Read for half an hour last night. I love the larger screen! I'm just a bit wary of the aluminium back, that it will get scratched, of course I did not have that problem with the Voyage.

Is anyone using a film back protector, instead of a case? I usually like to use my Kindles without cases, I feel it makes it too bulky...
Many people use skins. I use strips from Talon Grip sheets, they feel very nice and are resilient (they're actually meant mainly for gun grips). Talon Grip ships internationally and is pretty cheap. Granted, skins look prettier.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #257
azt33
Enthusiast
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Voyage
Thanks for the tip Sirtel. I will look into skins as well, although I like the look of the O3 as is, but just want to avoid scratches / dings as much as possible!

And good idea on the Talon Grip sheets - let me look into that too
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #258
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3 BasicK/Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis2
I had used my O2 for over a year with no cover. I use it only in the house though. But I laid it down anywhere and everywhere. When I send it for trade in it didn't have even one mark on it. The back and front for that matter looked brand new ones I wiped my fingerprints off. I don't that that back scratches easy. But again, i am not throwing it into a bag with keys next to it, but I have put my keys on top on occasion and other items. I tend to put my kindles with the face down. A habit.

I am going to treat the O3 the same way. But a skin, maybe a grippy one would make it maybe easier to hold? What I need and don't even know what to look for are small corner bumpers. Just small silicone or such corners on the side I am holding it into my palm. But as I don't know what that would be called or if there even is such a thing, I am not sure how to go about it. It just sometimes digs a bit into my palm in those 2 spots.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #259
azt33
Enthusiast
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good to know. I do take it with me, but I'm quite careful about putting it in my backpack or purse. Perhaps I'll get a simple sleeve for it when it goes in my purse, as I have a separate, padded space for it in the backpack.

Thanks for sharing your experience Atunah! and I like the idea of the corner bumpers, please do share if you come across anything!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #260
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I had used my O2 for over a year with no cover. I use it only in the house though. But I laid it down anywhere and everywhere. When I send it for trade in it didn't have even one mark on it. The back and front for that matter looked brand new ones I wiped my fingerprints off. I don't that that back scratches easy. But again, i am not throwing it into a bag with keys next to it, but I have put my keys on top on occasion and other items. I tend to put my kindles with the face down. A habit.

I am going to treat the O3 the same way. But a skin, maybe a grippy one would make it maybe easier to hold? What I need and don't even know what to look for are small corner bumpers. Just small silicone or such corners on the side I am holding it into my palm. But as I don't know what that would be called or if there even is such a thing, I am not sure how to go about it. It just sometimes digs a bit into my palm in those 2 spots.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0771L5HN5 ? Might need some adjusting. Or just get a tube of clear silicone and put some on it. For me a strap in the back works fine, it hangs on my fingers instead of resting in my palm.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #261
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0771L5HN5 ? Might need some adjusting. Or just get a tube of clear silicone and put some on it. For me a strap in the back works fine, it hangs on my fingers instead of resting in my palm.
Hmm, those look somewhat promising, but of course are way to thick as they are for tables. I didn't think to look for baby proof items. But I am glad you knew what it was I was looking for.

I think I might get a strap type thing for the back so instead of the corner in palm, I have the palm behind the device. I think someone posted about one they use. You have a link to the one you use? Or the name? So I can research. Only thing is once they stick they are there and it will be a pain to find the right spot.

Thanks for the help though Duckie
Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #262
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm, those look somewhat promising, but of course are way to thick as they are for tables. I didn't think to look for baby proof items. But I am glad you knew what it was I was looking for.

I think I might get a strap type thing for the back so instead of the corner in palm, I have the palm behind the device. I think someone posted about one they use. You have a link to the one you use? Or the name? So I can research. Only thing is once they stick they are there and it will be a pain to find the right spot.

Thanks for the help though Duckie
https://smile.amazon.com/MONET-Unive.../dp/B07LGKGKDC

Don't believe the negative reviews about not sticking. Maybe it doesn't stick on phone cases well, but on the Oasis 2 metal back it doesn't come off very easy. It can come off, and can be reused. Originally it lived on my wife's O2, now on mine. Easy placement just dead center in middle about half inch away from edge. Works with both hands for me and middle and ring finger through, index and pinky out.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #263
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/MONET-Unive.../dp/B07LGKGKDC

Don't believe the negative reviews about not sticking. Maybe it doesn't stick on phone cases well, but on the Oasis 2 metal back it doesn't come off very easy. It can come off, and can be reused. Originally it lived on my wife's O2, now on mine. Easy placement just dead center in middle about half inch away from edge. Works with both hands for me and middle and ring finger through, index and pinky out.
Thanks a lot. Its cheap enough for a try. And glad 2 fingers fit in. I have seen some others with just one finger, I'd need 2 for sure for balance.
If it does need to come off, just keep prying on the edge until it comes off? Like trying to get a sticker off?
Old 08-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #264
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Its cheap enough for a try. And glad 2 fingers fit in. I have seen some others with just one finger, I'd need 2 for sure for balance.
If it does need to come off, just keep prying on the edge until it comes off? Like trying to get a sticker off?
Yes. The back is not stiff, more like fabric or fake leather. It bends pretty easy.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #265
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, PW4, Voyage, Oasis 2, Oasis 3
I've posted about this before, but I used this one. I had it on my Oasis 2 for at least six months, and it held perfectly. I could use it with two or even three fingers (I have small fingers) and it worked great. I liked the fact that the base was grey so it sort of blended in with the back of the Oasis.

I removed it from the Oasis 2 because I decided to use that one as my traveling Oasis when I got my KO3 and wanted it in the Amazon waterproof cover. The handle came off easily when I used an old plastic credit card to separate it from the back as recommended by the manufacturer. It didn't leave any residue or marks. Just for a whim I decided to try it immediately on my Oasis 3 (I'd already bought a brand new one for that Oasis) and amazingly it adhered well. So I'm keeping the new one as a backup should the old one loosen up.

For the person looking for a sleeve, I use this one for my Oasis 3.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #266
Atunah
Wizard

Elspeth, after more research that is actually the one I ended up ordering. Different color. I got the 2 pack with the tablet size one and phone size one. I figured the regular phone size one would not be long enough. Because I position the Oasis so my thumb is on the bottom button, not top. So I grab it more towards the bottom. My hands are short. If I put a shorter one in the middle, it wouldn't be low enough I don't think on either side. I turn it around in my hands to from time to time. So it needs to go down to within an inch or 1.5 inches towards the edges of the Oasis. From top to bottom that is.

That is just based on my holding it and seeing where I need to stick it.

I figure I can use the smaller one on my phone. Assuming it will stick on the case I got on. I think its TPU. Its not silicone, which they say it won't stick to.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #267
Atunah
Wizard

I put the "lovehandle" strap on my O3. The larger one, and i think it will work nicely. I'll have to read with it to make sure i can tolerate the strap for extended periods. Its not super tight, tight enough to keep my fingers in place, but I have to see if its too much. The smaller phone version would not have worked on it for me.
With the strap it takes the pressure off my wrist and the corner in the palm. While still kind of holding it about the same way. It supports the way i hold it, rather than changes it.

And I need to add how nice the color change is at night. I been reading a bit in bed last 2 nights, with a side light. And I have it set to automatically change the warm up to #17 starting at 8pm. Its really pleasant to read on. I don't really notice the warm light much during the day though.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #268
TheSmitty
Connoisseur
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Air 2, iPhone Xs Max
I briefly thought about then learned that magnets removed from back (I like the cover from amazon for some situation) and moved them in the front so the cases I bought does not work. Deal killers given the minor update from my KO2
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #269
azt33
Enthusiast

I decided to order a sleeve from Etsy - that way I can store my Field Notes and pen as well with it (and maybe some cash), so I can wonder to the cafe here in town with just the sleeve. Will also be a relief when I put it in my purse / backpack.

On another note, it seems Whispersync is not fully working between the O3, iPhone and iPad Pro - it syncs between the iPhone and iPad Pro, but somehow doesn't sync with the O3 (my main reading device). Anyone else had issues?
Old 08-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #270
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
I decided to order a sleeve from Etsy - that way I can store my Field Notes and pen as well with it (and maybe some cash), so I can wonder to the cafe here in town with just the sleeve. Will also be a relief when I put it in my purse / backpack.

On another note, it seems Whispersync is not fully working between the O3, iPhone and iPad Pro - it syncs between the iPhone and iPad Pro, but somehow doesn't sync with the O3 (my main reading device). Anyone else had issues?
Strange. I’ve had no problems with the same setup.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote