Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Do you mean what I'm doing with div class="block poem"?
Or p+p, or any CSS for that matter. KF7 is all HTML, all the time.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #32
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
Is there anything that runs on a PC or an Android tablet that displays KF7? I'm curious to see what my stuff looks like on it.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #33
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Is there anything that runs on a PC or an Android tablet that displays KF7? I'm curious to see what my stuff looks like on it.
Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.2 for Windows

(You'll have to wait a couple of seconds for archive.org to retrieve mobireadersetup.msi.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The way to do it is to have the cleanest CSS. You don't want it too complicated or with extra bits that you don't need.

I've seen lots of CSS from commercial eBooks that has lots of extra rubbish in the classes that are being used. If I bother to strip out the rubbish, I end up with pretty good CSS. The class names can still be rubbish. The class names from In Design are not nice and sometimes there are multiple classes used that could be changed to be just one class. But I'm too lazy to do that.

I don't do the P + P as I do like to see <p class="noindent"> so I know what's what by looking as the HTML code. It's amazing how easy it can be to take an ePub that's not nice and make it nice. Now if only I could get paid for it. I'd be happy to take the finished ePub and make it even better. I could make it smaller, better code so less change of causing a glitch. Sometimes these overly bulky CSS files can cause some programs to not work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's Mobipocket format, not KF7. So if you've seen Mobipocket Code and how it looks, then you've seen what's incorrectly being called KF7.

The Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines 2019.1 mentions KF8 (aka Kindle Format 8) but there is no mention of KF7 or Kindle Format 7. Amazon calls it Mobi. ##

Now if anyone can show me on Amazon where KF7 is used, I'll happily stop saying KF7 is incorrect.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's Mobipocket format, not KF7. So if you've seen Mobipocket Code and how it looks, then you've seen what's incorrectly being called KF7.

The Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines 2019.1 mentions KF8 (aka Kindle Format 8) but there is no mention of KF7 or Kindle Format 7. Amazon calls it Mobi. ##

Now if anyone can show me on Amazon where KF7 is used, I'll happily stop saying KF7 is incorrect.
Not KF--but it was absolutely called Mobi7 by KDP/Amazon. I have the 2012 formatting Guidelines (along with all the others) and it's referred to as Mobi 7 there. Under Section 3, Formatting guidelines, page 10. To wit:

Quote:
Kindle Format 8 (KF8) is the next generation file format (replacing Mobi 7) for Kindle books and supports HTML 5 and CSS 3.
That's why, if memory serves, we all stopped calling it Format 6 and started calling it 7, right? Does everybody remember that? The arguments on here as to whether the old mobi was 6 or 7? Sheesh.

Hell, it's STILL called MOBI 7 by amazon. That's in the 2019 Guidelines. Do a search in 'em. It's hardly surprising that we all say KF7 instead of "mobi" given the conflation of the terms by Amazon, using "mobi" to mean anything over time. Hell, in the 2019 Guidelines, they still reference .prc. When's the last time anyone here created a prc file?

Wolfie, dear, I know that pedantry is near and dear to your heart, but you GOTTA let that go. You're beyond beating a dead horse. That horse has been dead so long it's petrified now.

Hitch
Old 08-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not KF--but it was absolutely called Mobi7 by KDP/Amazon. I have the 2012 formatting Guidelines (along with all the others) and it's referred to as Mobi 7 there. Under Section 3, Formatting guidelines, page 10. To wit:

That's why, if memory serves, we all stopped calling it Format 6 and started calling it 7, right? Does everybody remember that? The arguments on here as to whether the old mobi was 6 or 7? Sheesh.

Hell, it's STILL called MOBI 7 by amazon. That's in the 2019 Guidelines. Do a search in 'em. It's hardly surprising that we all say KF7 instead of "mobi" given the conflation of the terms by Amazon, using "mobi" to mean anything over time. Hell, in the 2019 Guidelines, they still reference .prc. When's the last time anyone here created a prc file?

Wolfie, dear, I know that pedantry is near and dear to your heart, but you GOTTA let that go. You're beyond beating a dead horse. That horse has been dead so long it's petrified now.

Hitch
The horse can be dead for as long as it wants. Mobi means it's a crappy obsolete format that should go away forever. KF7 sounds like it's a more modern format that's OK to have. So I'd rather stick with Mobi so others will know that it's an obsolete format.

Yes,they still call it Mobi 7. But they also say "The file delivered to Amazon should be a Mobi 7 EPUB with self-contained audio and video or a Mobi 7 .prc file with self-contained audio and video." There is no such thing as a Mobi 7 EPUB. I have not ever seen Mobi referred to as KF7. Sure, call it Mobi 7 if you want because that's what Amazon calls is. But KF7 is never referred to by Amazon. KF8 or Kindle Format 8 sure.

KF7 is unofficial and incorrect and I will mention it's wrong when I see it used.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #38
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@JSWolf Whether you refer to the old MOBI format as KF7 or Mobi7 is beside the point.

lumpynose is looking for an app to test the old MOBI format and Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.2 for Windows will display the old MOBI format contained in hybrid mobi files generated by KindleGen just fine.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@JSWolf Whether you refer to the old MOBI format as KF7 or Mobi7 is beside the point.

lumpynose is looking for an app to test the old MOBI format and Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.2 for Windows will display the old MOBI format contained in hybrid mobi files generated by KindleGen just fine.
Gang:

what about just using an older KP? Previewer (old style) shows KF7/mobi/prc/whatever. I still have it AND use it

Hitch
Old 08-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #40
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Gang:

what about just using an older KP? Previewer (old style) shows KF7/mobi/prc/whatever. I still have it AND use it

Hitch
Forget that I asked and I withdraw that question. I already went down that road the last time Hitch brought up the "Mobi 7" issues. Back then the suggested solution was to use kindleunpack on the dual Mobi, but kindleunpack gave me problems whereupon I realized that I wasn't that interested in seeing how that ancient format looks.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #41
lumpynose
Guru

Quote:

Hitch
So if Mobi 7 is all HTML does that mean that kindlegen (in my case) is figuring out all of the CSS (precedence, combinators, cascade, etc.) in the epub it's being fed and generates pre-CSS HTML that closely matches as possible what the CSS specified?
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #42
lumpynose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Now you've intrigued me; I'll probably waste some time installing and trying that. But hey, I'm retired and time is what I have lots of.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Now you've intrigued me; I'll probably waste some time installing and trying that. But hey, I'm retired and time is what I have lots of.
Well, there are still many readers out there that read this format. Older Kindles but also other devices that claim to support MOBI format typically can't go beyond 7 and some are at 6.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #44
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's exchanges such as this that leads into posting responses such as this

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 AM   #45
lumpynose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I regard Kindle's as health hazards, so my knowledge is scant.
So far I haven't seen anything to induce me to believe that your knowledge is scant.