Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #91
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This site does not follow the US rules which is what you are quoting. The site owner is worried about His personal liability and thus we use his rules. Check our wiki for Copyright and the page MobileRead.

Dale
Ok, thanks. I was guessing that it's life+70 given the location of the server but I didn't see it specifically stated in this thread.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #92
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Ok, thanks. I was guessing that it's life+70 given the location of the server but I didn't see it specifically stated in this thread.
The Notices at the top of every page in this thread isn't specific?

(Although the date could ude some updating.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #93
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Notices at the top of every page in this thread isn't specific?

(Although the date could ude some updating.)
There isn't anything in this particular thread about life+70 being the rule for uploads, that is, this thread we're reading titled "General Book Uploads Posting Guidelines." But yes, in all of the threads where a book has been uploaded it's there. What was sort of perplexing to me is, for example, the second post in the thread we're in, from HarryT titled "What is in the Public Domain?" where he explains the complexity of the copyright laws in the US. Perplexing because, on the one hand, the US laws don't matter for what's legal to upload here. But on the other hand, if I'm in the US, then I should know what's legal for me to download to my computer before I work on it and upload it here.

And then to add to my confusion, I saw some books on Project Gutenberg (which seems to follow the US copyright laws) where the author had died in the 1970s but were published in that period where they needed to have their copyright renewed and hadn't so they're PD. Being literal minded and with this thread talking about public domain, I was wondering perhaps if I could upload them and there is a different disclaimer for uploaded books that are public domain in the US. Which in retrospect doesn't make sense (now that I think about it) because the MobileRead server is in Switzerland (or Germany) so they have to conform to those laws.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-07-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #94
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
OK, I see that is confusing (but I still insist the "Notice" is at the top of every page in this particular thread, if not inside the over 12 year old posts at the start of the thread). Sometime in the years after the first posts and some years before now, the locations of mobileread servers changed from North America to Europe. Maybe a moderator or HarryT himself can be persuaded to add a message at the top of the first 2 posts that the information in those posts is somewhat obsolete.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #95
lumpynose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
OK, I see that is confusing (but I still insist the "Notice" is at the top of every page in this particular thread, if not inside the over 12 year old posts at the start of the thread). Sometime in the years after the first posts and some years before now, the locations of mobileread servers changed from North America to Europe. Maybe a moderator or HarryT himself can be persuaded to add a message at the top of the first 2 posts that the information in those posts is somewhat obsolete.
Even though I was reasonably sure that life+70 is the rule for uploads I wanted to ask the question so that anyone else like me who saw this thread and was wondering and assumed that this thread would have the answer may hopefully now see this answer. To me this is a bit of an odd thread since it never has, until now, explicitly said that the rule is life+70 (ignoring, for the sake of argument, that the uploads all have that notice on them). And it's a prominent thread.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:24 AM   #96
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've tweaked the first two posts. Please let me know if you think I've got anything wrong.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote