Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I'm waiting for this to arrive now. The ReTrak cable management and ability to plug it into any USB wall charger made it really attractive. With a bit of luck, it will also work to charge my BlackBerry and I'll be able to weed out one cable from my travel kit.

http://www.emergeretail.com/Products...ETPSPCHGW.aspx
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I'm waiting for this to arrive now. The ReTrak cable management and ability to plug it into any USB wall charger made it really attractive. With a bit of luck, it will also work to charge my BlackBerry and I'll be able to weed out one cable from my travel kit.
Nice, I have this philips USB charger with battery pack for offline charging. The internal battery is definitely a lifesaver when you are in the sticks and you run out of juice.

acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Nice, I have this philips USB charger with battery pack for offline charging. The internal battery is definitely a lifesaver when you are in the sticks and you run out of juice.

You can also buy an inexpensive Sony PSP data/power cable, and use it with this to charge the Reader. The cable will also work to charge with any computer (thru the power plug), and can also be used to transfer ebooks (thru usb). These cables run under $10, sometimes less than $5.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
You can also buy an inexpensive Sony PSP data/power cable, and use it with this to charge the Reader. The cable will also work to charge with any computer (thru the power plug), and can also be used to transfer ebooks (thru usb). These cables run under $10, sometimes less than $5.
The one in the picture unplugs from the wall adapter and would plug into his charger. A little more pricey, but really convenient for travel.

I have one of those battery packs too, with two USB connections. A necessity with the Palm and very convenient with everything else.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
solyfugo
solyfugo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Philips looks really cool and seems very useful but it is really expensive for me, I mean, for my needs. Anyway, it's good to know.
solyfugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solyfugo View Post
The Philips looks really cool and seems very useful but it is really expensive for me, I mean, for my needs. Anyway, it's good to know.
If you travel a lot, it becomes more valuable

Today I took the cheap knockoff PSP charger I bought, lopped off the barrel tip and spliced that with a USB cable. The resulting frankencable works fine for both charging solo from USB port or USB charger (via USB to barrel tip) and charging+data transfer (mini-USB and computer). Hacked cables FTW!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I know this has been discussed lots, but I have yet to see a definitive answer I think.

I want a cheap mains charger for my PRS-505 (£20 from Sony seems a bit much), will any Sony PSP charger work?

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 09-13-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #23
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
The one in the picture unplugs from the wall adapter and would plug into his charger. A little more pricey, but really convenient for travel.
Yup. My point was, you could also buy just the PSP data/power cable alone, and use it with any usb charger or pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Today I took the cheap knockoff PSP charger I bought, lopped off the barrel tip and spliced that with a USB cable. The resulting frankencable works fine for both charging solo from USB port or USB charger (via USB to barrel tip) and charging+data transfer (mini-USB and computer). Hacked cables FTW!
OK, but my time is worth more than that. Which is why I simply bought a combo data/power cable for around $4. They come pre-made, y'know--no need for hacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I know this has been discussed lots, but I have yet to see a definitive answer I think.

I want a cheap mains charger for my PRS-505 (£20 from Sony seems a bit much), will any Sony PSP charger work?
Yes, ANY PSP CHARGER WILL WORK WITH A SONY READER. (Is that definitive enough for you? ) It has been discussed and stated definitively here, many, many times.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #24
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
OK, but my time is worth more than that. Which is why I simply bought a combo data/power cable for around $4. They come pre-made, y'know--no need for hacking.
I am aware they come pre-made (except I didn't see any in the local shops and ordering a $4 cable online seems excessive). I enjoy fiddling with cables. I'm probably going to extend it to make a hydra-cable with a DS/PSP/USB/phone head. ONE CABLE TO RULE THEM ALL.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #25
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

In a word, yes. Natch once went to a Sony event and found all the staff charging their readers with PSP chargers. A generic one will work too, but make sure that it is 5 or 5.2 volts, and from a fairly reputable supplier.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #26
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thanks Patricia.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Or even a disreputable supplier, provided that you check the voltage...
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #28
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Just to experiment a bit, I bought an USB cable with double tips- one "yellow" (i.e. ps3 charger) and one USB. Works like a charm with any USB power adapter and Willemstad charge my Cybook too (well, not at the same time ).

my two cents
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 AM   #29
Hajemi Hassan
Hajemi Hassan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I just got myself a compatible PSP charger (exactly like the photo posted by JSWolf) with the SONY sticker attached to the unit! Cost me about USD14.00, with 1 month warranty. According to the seller, the charger life span (he was only referring to the compatible units) can be prolong if we switch off the charger right after the red charging light on the reader goes off. Do not leave the charger idle with the power on.
Hajemi Hassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #30
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
However, adding the barrel-shaped, PSP tip to a 5 volt charger has been reported to work.
I can indeed verify that this works. I picked up the right tip from Radio Shack and wired it into a USB connector. I did this to charge a PSP as well as the PRS-505 via a solar battery I've got that charges via a standard USB port.

It certainly charges MUCH faster than just the USB data cable alone -- I have no idea how fast it would charge via an AC outlet as I've only charged via solar or a USB data connection.

Anyway -- PSP tip to a 5v source (such as USB) does indeed work. Quite nicely as well!
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote