Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question I Need Help With Author & Title Sort, Please

Hello:

I thought I understood the Author Sort thing but now I am completely confused. I think I need a set of parameters and where they must go. Here's what I want Calibre to do with every book I add to any library:

1. I want Author Name and sort to be based on First Name Last Name, as in Lee Child NOT Child, Lee.
2. I want Titles to sort like The Summer Home, Not Summer Home, The.

If I could configure Calibre Portable (I am using Portable because I keep it with my library on a flash drive and I don't have to try to get multiple Calibres on different machines to look the same!) to read all books that would be such a help.

I write because I just entered a whole folder of books and ALL of them are Last Name, First Name and I really don't want to have to change each one individually - that's the only way I know to do it!

Thanks in advance,

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are tweaks for that (even for Portable)
Code:
ID: author_sort_copy_method
Code:
ID: categories_use_field_for_author_name
Code:
ID: title_series_sorting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There are tweaks for that (even for Portable)
Code:
ID: author_sort_copy_method
Code:
ID: categories_use_field_for_author_name
Code:
ID: title_series_sorting
OK - two & three I wasn't aware of. But, I changed 2 & 3 and restarted Calibre, but nothing happened! How do I force all of the entries in a library:

1. Change ln, fn -> fn ln.
2. Fix the titles.

Or, will this only work when adding titles which means I have to delete all of them and re-add?

Sorry I am so dumb but most of this is very, very confusing to allow for everything but it's awful confusing - The three you mention I still don't understand - I simply had to guess from among the remaining choices because I knew the one that was there didn't work like I wanted it to!!

Thanks for your help.

Sparky
Old 08-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
OK - two & three I wasn't aware of. But, I changed 2 & 3 and restarted Calibre, but nothing happened! How do I force all of the entries in a library:

1. Change ln, fn -> fn ln.
2. Fix the titles.

Or, will this only work when adding titles which means I have to delete all of them and re-add?

Sorry I am so dumb but most of this is very, very confusing to allow for everything but it's awful confusing - The three you mention I still don't understand - I simply had to guess from among the remaining choices because I knew the one that was there didn't work like I wanted it to!!

Thanks for your help.

Sparky
(a setting change only affects NEW adds)

Fot Authors, there are 2 ways:
use the same procedure for Titles (but tick: Automatically Set Author sort)

OR
Open the Tag Browser right Click on Authors: Manage Authors: <see the buttons at the bottom>

For Titles there are 2 ways

Use the Quality check PI to detect Author sort errors.
then select all results, use the FIX section

or
select all (or just wrong): tap 'E" for bulk metadata edit: TicUpdate title sort (near the bottom)
Select All books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Still No Success :>((

Hello:

I guess I must be as thick as two planks. The things you suggested that I could figure out didn't work. I could not figure out what the "Quality check PI" was and I couldn't find it when I searched the manual. I guess I'm going to have to do it all manually.

I am very frustrated because Calibre provides all kinds of ways to put the authors in "ln, fn" format from just about anything but convert from "ln, fn" to "fn ln" I can find nothing!! I want both the authors and the author_sort to be that format and I can find nothing that does that.

Thanks for your help.

Sparky
Advert
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@TheArtfulDodger - the Quality Check PI is an optional plugin, all such plugins are documented in the Plugins sub-forum right here at MR. When someone mentions a Plugin (PI), likely as not they'll be referring to an optional PI.

See Index of plugins - as you'll see there are lots of optional plugins, you install them from Preferences->Advanced->Plugins.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Thank you to all of you that proposed solutions. I have finally mastered the "fix" in Quality Check" which will fix things that are already in the database, but I cannot do anything to get around using it - in other words, when I Add books, I still know of no way to force "Author" to "fn ln" (if I could I can make "Author_Sort" = "Author"; nor do I know how to force the same effect as the "fix" "Author Initials" on input!

Thanks again.

Sparky
Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Thank you to all of you that proposed solutions. I have finally mastered the "fix" in Quality Check" which will fix things that are already in the database, but I cannot do anything to get around using it - in other words, when I Add books, I still know of no way to force "Author" to "fn ln" (if I could I can make "Author_Sort" = "Author"; nor do I know how to force the same effect as the "fix" "Author Initials" on input!
The following Preferences settings are germane to your main issue.

Tweaks->Author sort name algorithm

Adding Books->Reading metadata->Swap author firstname and lastname when reading author from filename

Adding Books->Reading metadata->Regular Expression

AFAIK - the option in the Quality Check plugin is the only way to 'fix' inconsistent initials, other than adjusting them manually when you add new books.

BR
Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Hello, BR:

a. "Tweaks->Author sort name algorithm" - From what I can tell, this is simply the way Calibre determines the "Author_Sort" value from the "Author" field. I have already set this value and it works properly but I need to change the way Calibre 'reads' in the "Author" value.
b. "Adding Books->Reading metadata->Swap author firstname and lastname when reading author from filename" - From what I can tell, some books are read in as "fn ln" and some as "ln, fn". This tweak simply reverses it - I need to force Calibre to always enter it as "fn ln", regardless of the order it's in in the file.
c. "Adding Books->Reading metadata->Regular Expression" - it's been a long time since I have studied regular expressions (they were all in Latin then :>)) so I don't know if this is a possibilty, but I'm going to work on it now.

I'll let you know what I learn. Thanks for your help.

Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The following Preferences settings are germane to your main issue.

Tweaks->Author sort name algorithm

Adding Books->Reading metadata->Swap author firstname and lastname when reading author from filename

Adding Books->Reading metadata->Regular Expression

AFAIK - the option in the Quality Check plugin is the only way to 'fix' inconsistent initials, other than adjusting them manually when you add new books.

BR
Old 08-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
sammayor
Enthusiast
sammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trolls

Device: KPW3
You can create rules to transform author names.
Preferences->Adding books->Adding actions.
I am not near my PC now but if you are familiar with regex you can do it. I will post the rule when I am near my Pc. Note that this is recent feature, you will need updated Calibre.

Last edited by sammayor; 08-22-2018 at 02:02 PM.
sammayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If all your author names are of a fixed format, you can create a rule as sammayor pointed out, otherwise you have to do it by hand.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
sammayor
Enthusiast
sammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trolls

This can be also configured for Metadata download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	authorrules.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	165795  
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammayor View Post
You can create rules to transform author names.
I had not remembered that

BR
Old 08-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #14
sammayor
Enthusiast

I found it while adding new tag rule.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Question Many Thanks to Everyone!!!

Hello:

I wanted to thank everyone for the valuable help you all provided to me in my "hour" (actually much more) of need. I think I have everything working now, but in the last day or two, I have generated another question.

I recently installed version 3.31 (Portable) of Calibre and when I added books, much of what I had working stopped! When I checked, Count Pages had disappeared, and some of my tweaks had likewise changed. Is this normal behaviour or did I do something wrong during installation?

Again, many thanks for the help!

Sparky