Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
Frustrated by Calibre startup- freezes

I have installed Calibre 0495 on my Windows XP machine. Uploaded to DB something like 2000 books, majority .lrf formats, few .epubs.
After this process Calibre started to hang, dead. Had to kill the process. Restarted, Calibre does not respond for smthg like 10 minutes now, than works ok though it hangs for 5-10 sec periods. So I do compact the DBase. All fine. Turn it off, back on, hangs again. While I am writing Calibre is booting up (white screen ->system says-> Calibre does not resond -> its now say 15 minutes since I started. Any Help here?

Overall fantastic piece of software, hoped to move away from Connect due its ability to edit formats, info, etc.

Kovid, anyone, any idea whats wrong? Too many books (that would be stupid

Another q. Books bought at Connect are LRX which I gather DRM'ed. Their file name is just a string of letters/numbers. Anyway to change it in Calibre ie. update the metafile to title/author etc?

Apppreciate your views
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm it shouldn't be that slow. Even with 10000 books it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to startup. There is something on your system interfering.

And no, there is no way to edit the metadata of LRX files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Where is your library located? Is it on a network drive or a removable media? Somewhere in the cloud?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Arek_W
Connoisseur

Nope, on the local HD, on the same drive as Calibre is located although different folder.

Kovid, any chances I can truck down the slowing down process? Can my AntiVir slow down the process (Kaspersky Home Edition 2007). I have checked the process readout:
Calibre uses during startup 2% of the CPU, memory usage round 58 000K. Windows manager immidtiately after programs starts notifies me that that programs does not respond.

Thx

PS could file a ticket so let me know if you want to go through this channel
Old 10-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
Arek_W
Connoisseur

Kovid, this may be for your FAQ section:
It is necessary to adjust settings in your AntiVir to make Calibre trusted software without any application restrictions.

That's what I did and Calibre is responding better, faster ond without majour hickups. I will monitor this further.

Request though, possibility to extract info into the table for LRX files. Basically would like to have them with similar info as non-DRM files. (dreaming

Thx
Arek
Advert