Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Upgrade to Kobo Aura One from Kobo Aura H2O?

Hey guys..

I have been thinking a long time about getting the Kobo Aura One (due to screen size, which I really really like). I have the Kobo Aura H2O from 2-3 years ago but would like to maybe upgrade.

I have read previous threads on how Kobo Aura One was having issues with uneven lighting and other problems. This was a while back though.

How are the issues with the Aura One these days? Has anyone bought one recently and found it to be OK?

Also, anyone else owned a H2O and upgraded to the One? I would love some input please if you have. Just want to know if it really is worth the jump.

Thank you so much.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The regular light on the KA1 has been good from the start. It's only the natural light that can be patchy, so if you don't care that much about it don't worry about lighting. I find the H2O soooo small when I change back to it now from the KA1.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
KA1 has a bigger screen, which is nice if that's what you're after. It's also waterproof without having to worry about the flap. For those to whom it matters, it has the flush bezel. The H20 you already have is better in every other way.

Lighting on the H20, although only of a single colour tone, should be perfectly even. The supposedly improved resolution of the A1 is not apparent, (unlike the bygone Glo HD which was immediately noticeably sharper.). The touch screen on the H20 is much more responsive and accurate than the A1. The optional SD card makes the memory as large as you want it, and the battery life more than twice as long.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #4
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you guys for helpful input. I caved and bought one today. I'll test it out and see if there's anything wrong with it, and if I really do like it or not. If it doesn't work I'll let it go and keep my trusty H2O. :P Otherwise, time to start selling some things to make up for my expensive purchase. Haha.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #5
Amiieey
Connoisseur

Update: The one I bought had a very odd unevenness in natural light setting. Instead of green blotches, they were dark orange and orange blotches. Bottom part of screen was an odd mix of white and orange. So weird. Uneven so I exchanged it.

Now I have a good one that is evenly lit up BUT one of the LED's is projecting green instead of orange. Just that one single LED, if it wasn't for that one then it'd be perfect. Unlike the first unit, it's totally evenly distributed apart from the one crap LED.

Now I have to exchange it again because of the green blotch. If the third one is gonna be like this too then I'm returning it for good and maybe waiting until things clear up. If things ever do.

Which sucks because a) I feel bad opening and using the Kobo for like 5 minutes, but then returning it with the box untaped (wonder if they can still sell these), especially doing this 3 times.. And b) it's a super nice e-reader. I really like the feel of it and the way it looks. Both units I had- excellent regular lighting overall. Just a shame about the comfort light option.

I would tell myself to suck it up and get over it but I paid ~279$ CAD (and I'm a student so I really want an OK product for the price).. I really hope I can try getting a decent one this next try.
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
Update: The one I bought had a very odd unevenness in natural light setting. Instead of green blotches, they were dark orange and orange blotches. Bottom part of screen was an odd mix of white and orange. So weird. Uneven so I exchanged it.

Now I have a good one that is evenly lit up BUT one of the LED's is projecting green instead of orange. Just that one single LED, if it wasn't for that one then it'd be perfect. Unlike the first unit, it's totally evenly distributed apart from the one crap LED.

Now I have to exchange it again because of the green blotch. If the third one is gonna be like this too then I'm returning it for good and maybe waiting until things clear up. If things ever do.

Which sucks because a) I feel bad opening and using the Kobo for like 5 minutes, but then returning it with the box untaped (wonder if they can still sell these), especially doing this 3 times.. And b) it's a super nice e-reader. I really like the feel of it and the way it looks. Both units I had- excellent regular lighting overall. Just a shame about the comfort light option.

I would tell myself to suck it up and get over it but I paid ~279$ CAD (and I'm a student so I really want an OK product for the price).. I really hope I can try getting a decent one this next try.
If it helps, when I bought my Aura HD back in 2013, got one with a beautiful screen, but the front light had a bad flickering problem. Back it went. Next one had pinholes in the light layer. Back it went. Third one was not the color I had ordered, but no other issues. I kept it, grew to like the color and it's still working great.

Hope 3rd try is the charm for you!

I was relatively lucky with my Aura ONE. The comfort light isn't totally even in color, but it's more of a slight gradation, it's not blotchy or bothersome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
So many stories of Kobo's quality control issues--it really pumps the brakes to try them out. I really want the big screen but will wait a couple of more months to see if Amazon will have a 2017 surprise ready for the holiday. The surprise had better be about a bigger screen. If not, it's full speed ahead with the KA1. Fingers crossed.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle users have had to play the exchange game since the Paperwhite was released in 2013.

It's a luck of a draw with lighted readers it seems. I have a Glo HD and it's perfect but I know someone in the UK had to exchange theirs four times before they got a good one.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Kindle users have had to play the exchange game since the Paperwhite was released in 2013.

It's a luck of a draw with lighted readers it seems. I have a Glo HD and it's perfect but I know someone in the UK had to exchange theirs four times before they got a good one.

Sent from my XT1528
Actually, it's the luck of the draw with front light capacitive touch. The screen issues didn't happen with front light IR touch. It's the capacitive layer that's the problem.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the Nook ST and Paperwhite and both were good from the get-go. No exchanges needed.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
my original Kobo Aura light very good from the start and it still works 100% perfectly.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I have the Nook ST and Paperwhite and both were good from the get-go. No exchanges needed.
Sadly, those who have good experiences are not, for the most part, those who post about their experiences. You seldom see posts such as "I am very happy with my xxxxx which came with a perfect display and has always worked perfectly!".

I do remember one gentleman who was complaining that Amazon only exchanged his Kindle Paperwhite 5 times before they said "no more" in his attempt to get a device with no blotches or pinholes. A very unusual experience IMO.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly, those who have good experiences are not, for the most part, those who post about their experiences. You seldom see posts such as "I am very happy with my xxxxx which came with a perfect display and has always worked perfectly!".

I do remember one gentleman who was complaining that Amazon only exchanged his Kindle Paperwhite 5 times before they said "no more" in his attempt to get a device with no blotches or pinholes. A very unusual experience IMO.
I understand the nature of the beast and I obviously do not have any hard data to back it up, but reading here and elsewhere, complaints about the KA1's lighting and screen issues seem to be more than just unusual or uncommon. I can't or don't remember reading as many complaints about the NST or Paperwhite when I was doing pre-purchase research. I'm not saying every review or experience was positive but there wasn't the same preponderance of complaints about one or two weak areas. That's what I get when I read up on the KA1. Generally people love it, but even for some of those who do--they jumped through quite a few hoops to settle on something that worked for them.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I understand the nature of the beast and I obviously do not have any hard data to back it up, but reading here and elsewhere, complaints about the KA1's lighting and screen issues seem to be more than just unusual or uncommon. I can't or don't remember reading as many complaints about the NST or Paperwhite when I was doing pre-purchase research. I'm not saying every review or experience was positive but there wasn't the same preponderance of complaints about one or two weak areas. That's what I get when I read up on the KA1. Generally people love it, but even for some of those who do--they jumped through quite a few hoops to settle on something that worked for them.
If you don't remember reading a lot of complaints about the lighting on the Paperwhite, then maybe you didn't go back far enough. When the Paperwhite first came out, there were many many more complaints about it than what I've seen about the Aura One.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
If you don't remember reading a lot of complaints about the lighting on the Paperwhite, then maybe you didn't go back far enough. When the Paperwhite first came out, there were many many more complaints about it than what I've seen about the Aura One.

Shari
I seem to recall all lighted devices have had about the same amount of complaints.
I lose count every time a new device comes out.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote