Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Marx
Marx began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Calibre "read" status

How calibre treat "read" status of book? I can't find such column in default view, and as I see there is no option to mark book read.
I think calibre is for ebooks what xbmc is for movies.
You can catalogue, search, open, scrape (read metadata), manage shelves (use playlist).
Xbmc can use trakt service which seems to be like goodreads for ebooks.
But I miss marring books as read. How it's organized in calibre?
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can add a custom column for that. Or add the tag "read", possibly with a date. Many possibilities.

Or use the reading list plugin.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134856
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I believe you have to create the column yourself. I am using 'Reading List' Plugin, moving a book there from list 'tbr' to 'read' does almost all I need - ticks the 'Read' column (which colors the title green). Then I need only to set an approximate date.
Or I could just right-click to 'Add to list...'

You could choose your 'Read' column to be the date, there are many different options.

What Adoby said

Last edited by travger; 10-02-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Adoby types faster :)
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Never understood using Y/N, Checked or whatever for a custom "Read" column. It only lets you know whether or not you've ever read the book. I prefer using a date so that I know when I last read the book. It comes in handy for longer series where you're likely to have forgotten details since you have not read it in a number of months or years.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Never understood using Y/N, Checked or whatever for a custom "Read" column. It only lets you know whether or not you've ever read the book. I prefer using a date so that I know when I last read the book. It comes in handy for longer series where you're likely to have forgotten details since you have not read it in a number of months or years.
I was thinking of switching to timestamp but then I got thinking:

The Catalog has an option to mark Read books if you configure the field (implies yes/no)
What else in Calibre expects Y/N?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I'm not sure that their are any other fields in calibre's default fields/columns that make use of the Y/N type of data.

I can see any number of possible custom columns where, basically, the user wants to know if certain features are available in the book (illustrated, map, etc). Most of these can, alternately, be handled through tags.

However I think it might also serve some "hidden" functionality such as in plugboards, templates and some of the included calibre functionality, such as being a flag for searches. I am completely guessing on that last one though.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I avoid the use Y/N because I find the Green tick hard to discern in the selected book, unless its in the current cell. As my granny used to say - blue and green should never been seen without colour in between.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-03-2013 at 01:49 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I did consider timestamp, but usually I get around to marking a bunch of books at the same time, later. So I'd have to manually enter the date (mm.yyyy) anyway.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Marx
Marx began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Ok i see it can be done via plugin. It's strange that it's not standard option. Now it's harder question. I use calibre server to export opds catalogue and then use fbreader to open it and read book. How to mark book read from fbreader?
Xbmc mark movie read when you advance for example 80% and it do it automatically. It's it possible in calibre?
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Ok i see it can be done via plugin. It's strange that it's not standard option. Now it's harder question. I use calibre server to export opds catalogue and then use fbreader to open it and read book. How to mark book read from fbreader?
Xbmc mark movie read when you advance for example 80% and it do it automatically. It's it possible in calibre?
Possible: yes. Implemented: no. Probably never will be implemented in fbreader.

No plugin is required. The reading list plugin makes certain workflows easier, but it is not required. For example, I don't use it for my read column.

We will be adding something to support a yes/no column and a read date column to Calibre Companion before the end of the year. It will sync over its wireless device connection.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote