Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
MyNameIsMrBurns
MyNameIsMrBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Running a dedicated online Calibre server?

I'm interested in actually setting up a dedicated public-facing server running Calibre to share e-book files with. (And before anyone asks, yes, a legal one.) I'm curious as to whether such a thing is possible, or whether it's a totally ridiculous idea. Has anyone done this before?
MyNameIsMrBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Been done, even using some NAS devices . (threads scattered about here )

In the Calibre FAQ:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-linux-server

Be sure to review topics with Keyword 'headless'

and remember you will need Port forwarding if not on your LAN
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I do this using a VPS (cheapvps in the uk) so I don't need a machine running 24/7 on my LAN at home. I use dropbox as the transport to copy library updates to the server, and monit on the server machine to restart the calibre server process when the metadata database changes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
MyNameIsMrBurns

I see, so how does that metadata update work in practice? You copy the book to your personal Calibre library, add its description, tags, cover art, etc etc, and then upload it and its .opf file together, and it all updates neatly? I was wondering about that part.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMrBurns View Post
I see, so how does that metadata update work in practice? You copy the book to your personal Calibre library, add its description, tags, cover art, etc etc, and then upload it and its .opf file together, and it all updates neatly? I was wondering about that part.
I think you are posting this question at me.

My entire library is in a dropbox folder. I update the library on the copy on my home machine, adding books, changing metadata, what have you. The changes to the library are copied to my server by dropbox, where they are 'served' by the content server there. The only thing I do that is special on my server is to copy the db file to /tmp and have calibre open that in order to avoid conflicts. I use monit to restart the content server whenever the timestamp on metadata.db in the library changes.

I do not attempt to upload manually the changes. I see that as a recipe for disaster. There are changes one can make to a library that result in non-obvious folder hierarchy changes, and I have no desire to attempt to track these manually. Dropbox and other folder sync programs do this task quite well.
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
MyNameIsMrBurns

So they're actually served from Dropbox itself? I wasn't aware that Dropbox could run a content server like that, how is that possible? That's a brilliant solution.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMrBurns View Post
So they're actually served from Dropbox itself? I wasn't aware that Dropbox could run a content server like that, how is that possible? That's a brilliant solution.
No. Dropbox is the transport. It copies my library from the machine where I do all editing to the server. That server runs a vanilla calibre content server, serving the dropbox'ed copy of the library with the exception that the metadata.db file (the database) is copied to /tmp and used from there.