Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hellinger, Mark: Mark Hellinger's Broadway 1940s, v2

Mark Hellinger (1903-1947), Broadway producer, columnist and later movie producer, died at the early age of 44. His Broadway newspaper columns, for many years appearing daily, were presented as short stories with a twist in the tale, in the manner of O Henry; indeed, the second Book collection of his cloumns was entitled "The Ten Million" (1934) in homage to O Henry's book "The Four Million."

Much of his staggering output can be found only in the files of the newspapers which published them: The New York Daily News and the New York Daily Mirror, and in synidcation in, it has been reported, 174 other newspapers. Many of the syndicated stories appeared in Australian newspapers in the 1930s and 1940s.

From these Australian newspaper sources I have collected two volumes each of 100 stories, from the 1930s and 1940s respectively.

*This is now version 2 with above bugs sorted and a slightly better cover. V1 had 76 views.

Mark Hellinger's work has been in the PD in Life +70 countries since January 1 2018, and in the PD in Life+50 countries since January 1 1998.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Mark Hellinger's Broadway 1940s - Mark Hellinger.epub (328.6 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 12-20-2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Version 2
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Is there any reason why there are about 1800 instances of words/numbers being marked up with <span lang="RU"> when the text is clearly English ?

Also the index seems limited to 50 entries although as noted there are 100 short stories.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:51 AM   #3
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have a look. Where the "lang" markup comes from I don't know. I'm nowhere near Russia and have only English, and so does my PC! Weird.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:22 AM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably comes from the source you have used - the 1930 book also has similar issues.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Pulpmeister
Wizard

The sources for the stories in both volumes are Australian newspapers online at the Australian National Library, through the portal known as Trove, which has online OCR text files. Each story is from a different newspaper or issue. It's odd, looking at the HTML, that only the second 50 stories have the RUS span. I made the original version as two separate 50 stories volumes, then decided to do a single one. It was obviously in the second, but...

My route is OCR TXT file/RTF in Word/Word HTML conversion/Kompozer to create links, anchors etc/Calibre to create books. Not ideal, but it's the only one I can handle easily.

I can't see how RUS can creep in. I checked my language and proofing stuff in Office and it's all English (Australian). I don't think the RUS code does any harm; I've not noticed anything when reading; but it is puzzling. I'll dig through some other HTMLs and see if it's in them too.

I blame Putin.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
BobC
Guru

Now that you say that Trove was your source I think I can see how this has come about. I have used Trove in family history research for newspaper cuttings. IIRC it supplements its OCR by on-line user edits.

Perhaps if it then takes the language declared by the web browser doing the editing and wraps that text in "lang" spans to match the browser that would explain it.

Certainly in reading the epub there is no problem - it's only if you open it up with an editor (in my case to try to sort out the atrophied index) that you see the mark-up.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Pulpmeister
Wizard

Many thanks, BobC. I couldn't find the RUS tag in any other recent stuff I've done, from other sources, so it must be a weird one-off. As for the active Contents links, I'll redo them from scratch and see if they work properly. They are all there and work fine on my Calibre reader. Before that I'll load it onto my Kindle and give it a road-test as well.

Can't have a dicey product in this Library,