Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
Non-working touch on PW3

The touch stopped working after an accident involving my purse and a water bottle.

The kindle is out off warranty, but Amazon offered me an discount that covers about 70% of a Kindle.

The point being, the message they send says the kindle will be deactivated. But now I found a replacement screen for sale.

There is any point on repairing and keep this kindle? Or now it will be fully blocked?

I am able to change the screen, but hacks involving welding tools are a bit above my pay grade....

This kindle can be used again, or should only be used for parts?

Enviado de meu XT1635-02 usando Tapatalk
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
The kindle will be deactivated when you return it. If you have the tools and the skills to repair it, you can try. Note: if you try and fail, Amazon will not give you 70% towards a new ereader.

Personally I would just send the kindle back to them and get a new one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
saluli
Connoisseur

They said I don't need to send the e-reader back, I can dispose of it how I see fit.
That's why I am asking.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
The touch screen part may be the screen, and it may be the logic board.

The "display" part plugs into the logic board at a different spot from the "touch" part.
( I know this, because I broke the touch part of my logic board while trying to repair water damage.. my replacement logic board works with the same screen )

So without knowing if the touch layer is broken, or if the logic board is broken, I would not recommend order a replacement screen.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
saluli
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
The touch screen part may be the screen, and it may be the logic board.

The "display" part plugs into the logic board at a different spot from the "touch" part.
( I know this, because I broke the touch part of my logic board while trying to repair water damage.. my replacement logic board works with the same screen )

So without knowing if the touch layer is broken, or if the logic board is broken, I would not recommend order a replacement screen.
If the logic board is broken, I would still manage to add new books and force reboot using the power button? Cause these parts are working, but I have no idea on how to discover if it is the screen or the logic board.

Thanks for all the info

Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
If the logic board is broken, I would still manage to add new books and force reboot using the power button? Cause these parts are working, but I have no idea on how to discover if it is the screen or the logic board.

Thanks for all the info

Your best bet is get a new kindle. Oh and you do have that 70% off offer in writing.

Some kindles don't like hot bubble baths either.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
saluli
Connoisseur

A new PW3 will be arriving in 2 days. But I fell kinda bad simply throwing it away if there is still anyway to use it.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

There probably wasn't anything you could do.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post

Thanks for all the info

Yes, I may not have explained very well.

On the logic board are little controllers for many different features:
The light, touchscreen, battery, display, memory, etc.

I managed to break just the controller that controlled my touchscreen, the rest of the kindle was working properly when I did that.

the way I broke it is quite complicated, and probably not the same way your touch screen stopped working, but it is possible, just a warning that a replacement screen may not work if that is the case.

And the only good way to find out is to buy a replacement touch screen, and a replacement logic board - but at that point you have a whole new kindle :-) :-)
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote