Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
By default the top button (on both sides) is forward and the bottom is backwards, but they can be reversed in a software setting...
I forgot that part when I bought the Glowlight 3. I thought it or the ePub were broken. I'd be embarrassed to admit the work I did checking the book for errors and resetting the device.

The bottom button seems to be the obvious choice for page forward. I doubt many users hold their device from the top.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #47
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Suggest you buy on you can Write on ...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I forgot that part when I bought the Glowlight 3. I thought it or the ePub were broken. I'd be embarrassed to admit the work I did checking the book for errors and resetting the device.

The bottom button seems to be the obvious choice for page forward. I doubt many users hold their device from the top.
I did (do) but the Nook ST was my first eReader, so I got used to it. I guess I hold it higher because the top button for forward seems more convenient for me. (I did experiment with changing them around.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
When I read one-handed on my Oasis, I hold the bottom edge of the device in my palm, and my thumb then naturally falls on the upper page-turn button, which by default is page forward.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I like the Nook ST's buttons as well. To make the pressure needed to click the page turn the buttons seems about perfect.
I do think that the nook STR's buttons require too much pressure to press. So someone has issues with his/her hands/wrists, the buttons are worthless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think that the nook STR's buttons require too much pressure to press. So someone has issues with his/her hands/wrists, the buttons are worthless.
Luckily it has touch screen too and as you've argued before, page turn buttons are unnecessary.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I guess so, but if they can't press those buttons, they've got a lot of issues they have to work around. Fortunately – as ZodWallop mentions – if the buttons become prohibitive, they can also use the touchscreen.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #53
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I guess so, but if they can't press those buttons, they've got a lot of issues they have to work around. Fortunately – as ZodWallop mentions – if the buttons become prohibitive, they can also use the touchscreen.
Well, maybe. But I always found the buttons on my Sony PRS 300, terribly stiff to use, and I was a healthy, reasonably young man at the time. After about 30 minutes, my finger got sore! The PRS350 was great in my eyes! (Though my 350 died years ago, and my 300 can still crank along!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, maybe. But I always found the buttons on my Sony PRS 300, terribly stiff to use, and I was a healthy, reasonably young man at the time. After about 30 minutes, my finger got sore! The PRS350 was great in my eyes! (Though my 350 died years ago, and my 300 can still crank along!
You need one of these babies
Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #55
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
You need one of these babies
Can you turn that up all the way to 11?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Can you turn that up all the way to 11?
The one pictured doesn't dare have such a setting. But as you get better at it, you'll be able to work it with ludicrous speed. Just don't go to plaid.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #57
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Suggest you buy on you can Write on ...
Good idea. Stylus with buttons.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of my Lenten reading on a 300. I like the buttons because, to go to a page number, I just push the numbered keys and hit the Enter key. On the 350 (which I also like and use), I have to hit the Options key, Goto, Select Page, Enter Page and hit Go. (Now that I look, I see I can just hit the bottom of the page, Page Number, and Go – at least I learned something.) 350s are plentiful on eBay now. You could probably find one selling pretty cheaply. Someone even has 29 of them (in zippered cases) selling for $300 (from a school, supposedly in good condition).
Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #59
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From the pictures, it look like two buttons on each side, so I assume a forward and backward on each side. That should give more flexible holding positions than say the Sony's with their buttons at the bottom.

Maybe they are just scared of the hat.

I thought the Sony buttons at the bottom were BRILLIANT, absolutely perfect for either hand, given I always used to hold my paperbacks from the bottom, so that was my natural hold on my Sony readers as well.

The Sonys were the only devices I had with buttons where I would actually sometimes USE the buttons when reading one-handed. But I truly prefer touchscreen to buttons, buttons cause me pain after awhile and are best avoided entirely as much as I read.

Case of different strokes for different folks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #60
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I prefer buttons. Just rest my thumb there and push it every time I need to turn the page. On a touchscreen only ereader, I get a cramp in my thumb from continually having to move it to touch the screen to turn the page and then move it out of the way so I can read the page.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote