Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #31
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Sorry , but being responsible For customer support is not something I am interested in.
And it would be a thankless task for anyone without tech resources, guys who can actually get bug fixes released.

But there's no shortage of talented people on this board, ask around for volunteers.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Since I was not the initial creator of the app I lack the knowledge of how everything was created by the previous owners. Since I am not a developer I don't see the nitty-gritty of how it exactly works. When users experience issues I send them all to the team but when it comes to responding I am not much help. Almost all responses would end up something like. "I'll get that fixed"... This is not helping. Do you have an interest in running customer support? You seem to know far more than me by the looks of your responses to other posters. I would love to chat (we can type) on skype and maybe you would be helpful to speak directly to the development team yourself. I'm happy to work something out. This forum is tremendously useful and losing it would be detrimental. I remember coming to it when I couldn't figure something out and just lurking on posts. Let's make this work.
Sam - why don't you let your developers do the support.

FX: The two people providing the support and development for the Sigil ePub editor are not the original developers either, I think they're the third. They adopted it after it was 'abandoned' by the previous developer.

The originators of CC ran the project as if it were an open source project; they provided the quality, timeliness & responsiveness you'll see from Kovid Goyal for Calibre, KevinH and DiapDealer for Sigil, willus for k2pdfopt… etc.

You should have discovered this as part of your due diligence process, the main reason many takeovers fail is because of a mismatch in buyer and seller cultures and work practices.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2020 at 04:08 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 AM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

effective support needs to be setup to receive and interpret cc log files

because support pages have not been updated, anyone following instructions therein will probably send them to Chaley/ his son, which is not fair to them...

Chaley said ( in #24 above) that he cannot edit any support pages because he passed on full control and access to Sam as part of the handover.

surely that can be fixed ? the URL that needs attention is in #24
Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #34
bferrell
bferrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Wow. Wish I'd come here before I bought the app. Looks good, but I can't login to my secure server when on the road. Looks like I might be waiting awhile...
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Can you do it (use the app to log on) when home?
If Yes, then your port forward / firewall is the issue (or a needed part of the network is asleep)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #36
bferrell
bferrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you do it (use the app to log on) when home?
If Yes, then your port forward / firewall is the issue (or a needed part of the network is asleep)
I can CONNECT, it won't let me enter my credentials. I get the login pop-up, but the "OK" button is greyed out and won't let me enter them, dude.

Doesn't matter, I moved to Marvin 3 and am pretty happy so far at least.
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferrell View Post
I can CONNECT, it won't let me enter my credentials. I get the login pop-up, but the "OK" button is greyed out and won't let me enter them, dude.

Doesn't matter, I moved to Marvin 3 and am pretty happy so far at least.
Got it. A mess when it won't recognize the entries (meet the required entry patterns with no clue to what was wrong: eg 'Must be UPPER CASE, Date, Digits') and allow the OK.
Anyway glad you got something you can use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #38
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Hey Everyone,

I have read through many of the responses and am collecting these bugs as I go.

Organizing this stuff to be squashed! Hang in there!

Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:50 AM   #39
stumped
Wizard

i am confused. Sam has stated
firstly here in Nov 2019 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324775 new IOS update on the way
and more recently in #12 in this thread, dated 10 jan 2020, that he had collected all the bugs and that they were all being worked on by the development team in late 2019 with a planned super bug fix release before xmas 2019 ( which slipped to ( q1 20)

now you tell us that the bug collection is only just starting

was all the previous stuff about " its being fixed already" just BS ?

what had actually been done by the development team between Oct 2019 and now?

Last edited by stumped; 02-12-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i am confused. Sam has stated
firstly here in Nov 2019 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324775 new IOS update on the way
and more recently in #12 in this thread, dated 10 jan 2020, that he had collected all the bugs and that they were all being worked on by the development team in late 2019 with a planned super bug fix release before xmas 2019 ( which slipped to ( q1 20)

now you tell us that the bug collection is only just starting

was all the previous stuff about " its being fixed already" just BS ?

what had actually been done by the development team between Oct 2019 and now?
Any action is a positive thing. Sometimes you need to stop beating the horse and give it a chance to get up. Give the man a chance to understand what is going on and what needs to be done.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #41
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Any action is a positive thing. Sometimes you need to stop beating the horse and give it a chance to get up. Give the man a chance to understand what is going on and what needs to be done.
Facts would be a positive thing. Spin is not.

On 15 nov 2019 you accepted the status report that all bugs had been identified and were being fixed. you said "I greatly appreciate you letting us know what is going on. I'm looking forward to it ( the by-xmas release) "

Now you want to accept the story that as at 11th feb 2020 someone new is just now starting to make a list of what needs to be done.

and that its somehow unreasonable to ask what has happened between November & February ?

OK - i will walk away from this thread also. But I have a very nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you are interested
Old 02-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

On 15 nov 2019 you accepted the status report that all bugs had been identified and were being fixed. you said "I greatly appreciate you letting us know what is going on. I'm looking forward to it ( the by-xmas release) "

Now you want to accept the story that as at 11th feb 2020 someone new is just now starting to make a list of what needs to be done.

and that its somehow unreasonable to ask what has happened between November & February ?

OK - i will walk away from this thread also. But I have a very nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you are interested
I've worked in the software business and know how these things work. I also know that whacking people over the head just because you are frustrated and want to take your frustrations out on someone is counter productive. Regardless of how you feel about Sam, Alex is new and wasn't involved in that. I'm willing to wait and see if things improve. There isn't much of a choice, to be honest.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #43
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:

Hey Stumped,

Thread coming soon on why dev efforts have taken so long.

My goal is to see if I can win back your trust!

Working daily on getting this thing back up and running.

Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #44
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Android auto-updated my Calibre Companion and broke it. It won't open ebooks in Moon+, but Moon+ can still open the files. Where do I find the previous version of Calibre Companion?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:12 AM   #45
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Android auto-updated my Calibre Companion and broke it. It won't open ebooks in Moon+, but Moon+ can still open the files. Where do I find the previous version of Calibre Companion?
makes no sense. the new guys are only just at the thinking of a beta stage.
what country and what version do you now see
in UK, the play store still says
WHAT’S NEW
V5.4.3.3 (10/Jul/2018)
please post those lines from your play store page