Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-20-2022, 03:31 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1 View Post
Surgically enhanced, perhaps. Aesthetically attenuated. But edited? No frogging way.

[Not sure what it is with me and frogs today, but they're my go-to profanity substitute.]
I've got 6 frogs here. None are alive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Accessibility says use html not images. So I'll do that. I only have two columns for most. It's the row count that's knocking me off the page.
The best way to handle the table is let it drop if it needs to. You cannot know how the page's will layout. There are just too many variables. line-height, font, font size, margins, etc. will make the pages different. So just...

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #153
roland1
Connoisseur
roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been looking at the tables and they look pretty good and anyone who is motivated to learn what I'm talking about will make the effort — they have it way easier than the people using toothbrushes to clean off dinosaur bones in the hot sun for months on end.

And if they don't like it, well then frog them!
roland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:56 AM   #154
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Accessibility says use html not images. So I'll do that. I only have two columns for most. It's the row count that's knocking me off the page.
It always is. Our in-house rule is 10 rows and 3 columns--anything larger than that will tend to cause issues.

I'm not saying you can't do HTML, don't get me wrong; but if you want to force your table to remain on a single screen, you can use the page-break before method, of course, but that only works intermittently--your reader decides and chooses, not you, around font sizes, etc., and how they orient the reader (for example, what can you do around someone who rotates their device to landscape? Not much!).

The other reality is, most people are smart enough to know how to zoom and read a table. Are you absolutely SURE that the table has to be seen on a single "page" (screen)? Or are you imposing your print view onto an Reading device user?

And yes--for accessibility, HTML is better.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:15 PM   #155
roland1
Connoisseur
roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hitch, I don't have to have tables on one page. I just thought it might be a better experience for the reader to have it all in one place—if I could manage it somehow with code.

The table splitting looks a little savage at times. The split is not always a full row but maybe just enough of it to get the text on. Or maybe 1.5 rows. So it always has a "broken" look to it. That's what I'd like to get away from.

But in general, I don't have an issue with splitting—if someone wants to read stuff on a phone, they know what they're getting in to.

Last edited by roland1; 04-21-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #156
roland1
Connoisseur

Well, you know the apocalypse is nighe when something positive happens in the world.

Today I received an email reply that they have fixed the technical issue at ebooks.com that caused my ebook preview to be structurally massacred. It actually looks pretty normal now —*if you don't read the content.

--- exhibit A:

19 May 2022, 17:37 GMT+8
Dear Roland,

I apologise for such a late reply.

Our developers found the issue and have now resolved it. The book is now displaying correctly in the Online Reader.

Sincerely,

[Tech supporter's name retracted out of my automated Canadian politeness reflex.]

Ebooks Support

www.eBooks.com

--------

I did create another CSS edited version of my ebook, but have only uploaded it to Amazon so far. But it definitely seems the issue was at their end and not with my CSS — although the code was definitely "heavy-handed" for ebook use.

Last edited by roland1; 05-19-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #157
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Hoorah for eBooks.com! Well done by them.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote