Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-31-2021, 11:38 AM   #16
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know what these are going to sell for?
See www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341231 for these mundane details.

For me, the liberty offered by such open hardware is priceless and i'll happily pay whatever they'll ask for it, even if exceeding the limits of my humble economic means.

Last edited by orebmur; 10-31-2021 at 11:55 AM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Let's break this down by device:

Kindle DX Graphite:

* Large size, which is good for some books and PDFs and would be good for manga.
* Page turning buttons
* Gyroscope for reorienting display
* Displays book cover on sleep screen.

Kindle Touch:

* Active Content
* When clicking on a footnote, it goes directly to the footnote section.
* It does not auto-hyphenate words.
* Ability to filter monthly deals by sub-category
* Back button
* Keeps track of % read and time to finish book or chapter
* Wikipedia integration
* Snap button case
* Audio port

Nook Simple Touch:

* Rootable
* Runs Android apps

Kindle Paperwhite 4:

* Full support for custom fonts
* Ability to change a font's weight
* Ability to filter monthly deals by sub-category
* Ability to filter library
* Smooth page turning
* 300 PPI E-ink display
* Goodreads support
* Searches each dictionary until it finds the word it is searching for.
* Wikipedia integration
* Good size for portability
* True dark mode
* Displays book cover on sleep screen.
* More reliable than Kindle app.

Likebook Mars:

* 300 PPI E-ink display
* Support for multiple ereading formats and stores, including Amazon, Kobo, Nook, and Google Play.
* Direct support for Overdrive
* Ability to run manga, music, and other apps.
* Sunken screen.
* Cool and warm lighting that can be mixed together.
* Good size for reading most books.
* Audio port

Kindle App on Likebook Mars:

* Ability to listen to and read an audio book at the same time.
* Wikipedia integration

Moon+ Reader on Likebook Mars

* Fine-tuned precision control over font sizing and line spacing.
* Support for custom fonts.
* Keeps track of % read.
* Fast, smooth page turning.
* Page numbering based on how many virtual pages will appear on my screen.
* More reliable than Kindle app.
* Supports Android dictionaries.

Kindle Fire:

* Support for true color images
* Runs apps
* Works with USB keyboard

Last edited by fduniho; 11-01-2021 at 02:37 PM.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #18
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Perfect reader for me would be with one with Booken Odyssey shape but 7" or 8", and page turn buttons (i love odyssey's page turn buttons), Pocketbook's epub reading software, Kobo's customization and community patches and Kindle's quality control.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:05 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, a Frankereader...

The formfactor of the Kobo Aura One, with the internals of the Kobo Sage. I don't need the buttons, but I'd love the pen, the USB-C en extra memory. Add wireless charging and I'd be standing first in line to buy it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Wireless charging is inefficient and it's actually inductive. An induction plate to carry as well as wired charger, so not wireless. It has to be resting on the plate. It's just hipsterism. Adds weight and cost to gadget; bulk, cost and weight to charger. Wastes up to 20% of electricity.

A charging dock makes more sense. Some things have docks, like DECT phones, mobile radio, some tablets. You can read when something is on a cable or in a dock, not when it's on a charging plate.

One of the stupidest ideas in the last 40 years. Yes, it's at least that old. It also can be a cause of radio interference.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #21
endemion06463
Enthusiast
endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook P78
You know, I doubt many will read any or most of other people's Frankenreader's wishes. Especially if you're going to include device X, device Y and device Z's unique features. Keep it simple stupid... You think we all have a stack of e-readers lying around? Those things are expensive you know.

Let me try to keep it simple:
- Physical buttons are nice (preferably in a way that is easy to keep clean)
- No rubber coating
- Properly tested software
- Proper file system (a library on top of a file system is redundant)
- Proper attention for the limitation of e-ink displays (browsing generally sucks on e-ink)
- etc...

Oh and lets put in a inflatable element so that it can float in a proper upright positing while relaxing in a bath. Guess it should be waterproof too
endemion06463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endemion06463 View Post
Oh and lets put in a inflatable element so that it can float in a proper upright positing while relaxing in a bath. Guess it should be waterproof too
Can my ereader be used as a flotation device?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You know, I doubt many will read any or most of ...
TLDR

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

- Properly tested software
I presume you mean error free software? I can test something and just document all the issues; testing doesn't imply I have to fix them

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
- Proper file system (a library on top of a file system is redundant)
I have to wonder about this endless fascination with the file system used on an ereader. Given that a even a sloppily implemented search is a lot more efficient at finding content based up multiple criteria, worrying about a file system is so 1980s.

So just perhaps I don't need ZFS on an ereader though having a data store of 2^128 bytes might come in handy if I could figure out how to make it portable. The exercise of calculating the weight of 2^128 hydrogen atoms is left to the reader.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #26
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I have to wonder about this endless fascination with the file system used on an ereader. Given that a even a sloppily implemented search is a lot more efficient at finding content based up multiple criteria, worrying about a file system is so 1980s.
I disagree as it is more of personal preference. MY preference is having the ebook files displayed in Calibre date format/sequenct; it is more convenient than doing a search of any sort as the ebook would most likely be on the first page without doing any search.

Also if I use OPDS to get the books from Calibre, the Calibre date sequence would make it easier to download. MapleRead for IOS has that option. Moon+Reader pro does not have an option to have getting the books in Calibre date sequence. For getting one book, it does not matter, but still prefer not to do any search to find the book when I can just select the ebook on the 1st displayed page.

Just my preference as others may not want to read the book so early but just storing the book on the tablet for reading as in "TBR".
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Total and complete charge via solar energy. And ONLY solar energy.

On all ereaders that have screens as superb as the one on the Kindle Voyage - regardless of screen size.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-04-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #28
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Large e-ink screen. (Kindle Dx, Likebook P10).

Keyboard. (Kindle Dx, Story Hd).

Page-Turn Buttons. (Kindle Dx, Kindle 5).

Can reliably open Pdfs. (Likebook Mars, Likebook P10).

Works with Duet Display. (Likebook Mars).

Can run Eink Browser. (Likebook Mars, Likebook P10).

Can easily move files into "Reading" and "To Log" lists. (Kindle Dx, Kindle 5).
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote