Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 02:26 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Kobo Aura Edition 2 officially gone?

It looks like Kobo is no longer displaying the Kobo Aura Edition 2 on their Device page. I'm guessing that means it's gone for good. So... do you think they will release an Aura Edition 3 (hardware match to the new Tolino Page) or will the Clara become their new "bottom of the line" Kobo? Is it possible that a water "proof" Clara could be coming out and the "old" Clara will sell for about $100 (when not on sale)? Just speculating. Apparently there's no new Kobo hardware announcement, so I'm guessing that Kobo may just be dropping their old low-end (the Clara was priced the same as the Aura Edition 2 in the last half of last year anyhow, except on Walmart).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
There is still the Kobo Aura (Walmart Exclusive). Is that the same as the Aura Edition 2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is still the Kobo Aura (Walmart Exclusive). Is that the same as the Aura Edition 2?
It's the same reader. But they've been disappearing and reappearing for the last couple weeks at Walmart. It looks like they've disappeared again (as of now anyhow), so I'm guessing they'll be gone completely from Walmart soon.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's the same reader. But they've been disappearing and reappearing for the last couple weeks at Walmart. It looks like they've disappeared again (as of now anyhow), so I'm guessing they'll be gone completely from Walmart soon.
If that's true, it's too bad as it's a good price and better then the Kindle Basic.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i read in another article a few days ago ( suprised it has not ended up copied here), a speculation that K are cutting the reader range to 3 models, same as amazon
so there will be entry level, mid range & deluxe ?
seems sensible.
if I can find it again I will post a link

UPDATE: i think this was it
https://goodereader.com/blog/kobo-er...aura-edition-2
"Kobo has basically discontinued all of their legacy e-readers and is adopting a 3 SKU strategy. They have the entry level Kobo Clara HD with a 212 PPI screen, the recently released Kobo Libra H2O that is waterproof and 7 inch Carta screen and it is also waterproof. They also have their premium Kobo Foroma, which has an 8 inch screen and normally costs around $299 to $399.

The 3 SKU strategy is the same system that Amazon employs with the Kindle. They have the entry level Kindle Basic, Kindle Paperwhite and the Oasis. It looks like Kobo is basically doing the same thing, and I believe this is best, it is easier to sell a base, mid-range and premium model, then to have 4 or 5 different devices in your portfolio."

Last edited by stumped; 01-21-2020 at 01:12 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
I'd take anything good(sic)ereader says with a grain of salt. But this isn't out there like some of the clickbait things that they say so it could be true
binaryhermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
ps67
Addict
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i read in another article a few days ago ( suprised it has not ended up copied here), a speculation that K are cutting the reader range to 3 models, same as amazon
seems sensible.

"Kobo has basically discontinued all of their legacy e-readers and is adopting a 3 SKU strategy. They have the entry level Kobo Clara HD with a 212 PPI screen, the recently released Kobo Libra H2O that is waterproof and 7 inch Carta screen and it is also waterproof. They also have their premium Kobo Foroma, which has an 8 inch screen and normally costs around $299 to $399.

The 3 SKU strategy is the same system that Amazon employs with the Kindle. They have the entry level Kindle Basic, Kindle Paperwhite and the Oasis. It looks like Kobo is basically doing the same thing, and I believe this is best, it is easier to sell a base, mid-range and premium model, then to have 4 or 5 different devices in your portfolio."

Clara has 300 dpi
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
rtiangha
Addict
rtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Clara has 300 dpi
Glad to see the quality and accuracy of that place hasn't changed!
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
When I stumbled across that article I came here, on the day, to see if it was being discussed but nothing. So I figured it might not be the best of sources.
A 3 device strategy does make sense though
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #10
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And Kobo still has the Aura One in stock on the website (the H2O2 is out of stock).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
seems sensible.

Do you have an actual reliable source? They posted that the Clara HD is 212 DPI and we know that's wrong.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And Kobo still has the Aura One in stock on the website (the H2O2 is out of stock).
I can understand the H2O2 being dropped as there is the Libra H2O at 7" while the H2O2 is 6.8". Plus the Libra H2O supports Overdrive.

But I can understand some wanting an H2O2 because of the SD card slot.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
ps67
Addict
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In which country there is still the Aura One? Here in Italy there are only Clara, Libra and Forma.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #14
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
In which country there is still the Aura One? Here in Italy there are only Clara, Libra and Forma.
I'm looking at the U.S. website. It is the 32GB version.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
When I stumbled across that article I came here, on the day, to see if it was being discussed but nothing. So I figured it might not be the best of sources.
A 3 device strategy does make sense though
I guess it's possible (maybe probable?) that Kobo has gone to a "3 SKU strategy" but their bottom line Clara is a PaperWhite competitor, not a Kindle Basic competitor. And Kobo does use a "4 SKU strategy" in their Tolino line. What GoodEReader says doesn't mean much to me, but the fact that the legitimate blogs haven't mentioned a new Kobo going through the approval process seems more conclusive. Unless the hardware approval process for the Tolino Page 2 can be applied to a hypothetical Kobo Aura Edition 3? (I'm guessing not.) I guess we'll see.