Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #16
rtiangha
Addict
rtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybook View Post
Thanks for the link! I downloaded it to the path you recommended (\Windows\system32), but where do I put the PATH info? There is no penelope.py file that I could find.
Don't worry about it. PATH is a Windows environment variable of which the system32 folder is already a part of. If that's where you put the file, then you don't have to do anything else.

You can test to see if it works by opening a command prompt and running dictzip.exe and see if something happens.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #17
skybook
skybook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Nope, nothing happened when I typed in dictzip.exe except this message:

'dictzip.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
skybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #18
rtiangha
Addict
rtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitrtiangha with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Nope, nothing happened when I typed in dictzip.exe except this message:

'dictzip.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Try logging out/logging in or reboot the computer? Or open up a new terminal if you're still using the same one? That really should work...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #19
skybook

I logged in and out, as well as rebooted the computer, but same problem.

The file I downloaded and placed into system32 was called dictzip-win32-1.12.1-win32-1.0.zip

I unzipped it, but there was no executive file. What was supposed to happen?

(BTW, thank you so much for all the help you've given me! I'm not usually this computer illiterate -_-')
Old 01-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
rtiangha
Addict

You downloaded the wrong file. You want this one.
Advert
Old 01-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit I tend to never place code in any of the Windows directories; I normally create a C;\Tools directory and add that to the path, then any executables without installers get placed there (and of course I've added C:\Tools to the path).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #22
rtiangha
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit I tend to never place code in any of the Windows directories; I normally create a C;\Tools directory and add that to the path, then any executables without installers get placed there (and of course I've added C:\Tools to the path).
You can write the How-To for that!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #23
skybook

Good news: it worked!

Bad news: it's definitely the CSV file that's the problem. I'm going to have to figure out another way to create dictionaries.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #24
rtiangha
Addict

Quote:
Good news: it worked!

Bad news: it's definitely the CSV file that's the problem. I'm going to have to figure out another way to create dictionaries.
Maybe try creating a Stardict dictionary via a TAB file (rather than CSV) using stardict-editor and use penelope to convert that to Kobo format instead. Here's an example (it's using Linux instead of Windows though, but the Windows procedure should be similar; an editor/converter is included in the Windows package):

https://languagehopper.blogspot.com/...oldendict.html

You can Google for more examples too; you wouldn't be the first person who wanted to create their own Stardict dictionary.

Last edited by rtiangha; 01-20-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #25
skybook

Update: So, I created a StarDict dictionary (and checked that it worked using GoldenDict), then I archived the 3 files in a zip and used penelope to convert to kobo format...and it *still* doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #26
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Can you PM me the dictionary file? Also, what did you name it, and how did you install it?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #27
skybook

Also, I just realized: every file I tried to make with penelope output a file that's 40960bytes.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #28
skybook

@geek1011: sent the link to the files, thanks in advance for taking a look!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #29
skybook

@geek1011: whoops, ore info:

I named the output file dicthtml-e3.zip, and I installed it using the method found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273820

I managed to install 2 different dictionaries I found here using that method
Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #30
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
@geek1011: whoops, ore info:

I named the output file dicthtml-e3.zip, and I installed it using the method found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273820

I managed to install 2 different dictionaries I found here using that method
Can I see the output file itself? And also, did you enable any of the dictionary patches?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote