Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
phossler
Guru
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Q: Calibre on a mapped drive?

Win10, 64 bit

Right now I have my library, etc. on my local C:

I also have a networked PC with a drive on it mapped on my local PC as

M: = \\pc2\C:\

Since it's not a NAS, so can I safely move my library to "M" so long as there's no other user accessing it?

Not sure I want to do that, but I'd like to know just in case
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
NO!
Only HARD CONNECTED DRIVES (internal or external), IDE, (e)SATA, USB , firewire...

read the FAQ (again?)
Shares (aka Mapped drives) are right there with NAS with issues.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
networked filesystems are flaky, if you value your data dont put it on one. Instead put it on a local drive and mirror it to the network drive.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
phossler
Guru
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
NO!
Only HARD CONNECTED DRIVES (internal or external), IDE, (e)SATA, USB , firewire...

read the FAQ (again?)
Shares (aka Mapped drives) are right there with NAS with issues.
Point taken and noted

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

Quote:
Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive.

A filesystem is a complex beast. Most network filesystems lack various filesystem features that calibre uses. Some don’t support file locking, some don’t support hardlinking, some are just flaky. Additionally, calibre is a single user application, if you accidentally run two copies of calibre on the same networked library, bad things will happen. Finally, different OSes impose different limitations on filesystems, so if you share your networked drive across OSes, once again, bad things will happen.
I have read the FAQs (again)

I thought that since Win10 was the OS on both (and I didn't consider it a network system [possibly wrongly]) the PC2 attached drive mapped to PC1 wouldn't be an issue. Since I only use Calibre from PC1 and no one uses it on PC2, I thought it might be OK.

Since I use Robocopy to make a backup from PC1 C: to external HDs, it's not going to be a problem not doing what I thought I might not want to not do

As an aside, "mapped" is not in the FAQ

Last edited by phossler; 01-13-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
phossler
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
networked filesystems are flaky, if you value your data dont put it on one. Instead put it on a local drive and mirror it to the network drive.

Using Robocopy already to keep a b/u on the currently mapped drive, as well as several other locations in fact
Advert
Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Point taken and noted

Since I use Robocopy to make a backup from PC1 C: to external HDs, it's not going to be a problem not doing what I thought I might not want to not do

As an aside, "mapped" is not in the FAQ
True. But Mapped is most commonly used with a Networked drive. (And I have been using them for so long that I just associate the name with Networked drive. In DOS it was NET USE

Does Robocopy fail if Calibre is running?
I know Synctoy (what I run frequently) has problems with metadata.db if it is running.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Win10, 64 bit

Right now I have my library, etc. on my local C:

I also have a networked PC with a drive on it mapped on my local PC as

M: = \\pc2\C:\

Since it's not a NAS, so can I safely move my library to "M" so long as there's no other user accessing it?

Not sure I want to do that, but I'd like to know just in case
I do it all the time with a networked drive. I've been doing it for years and it works perfectly. The only things you have to watch out for is not to try to use the same library from multiple machines and if it's a laptop, close Calibre before you put the laptop to sleep or if it's set to sleep.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does Robocopy fail if Calibre is running?
I know Synctoy (what I run frequently) has problems with metadata.db if it is running.
Robocopy doesn't require exclusive access as far as I know so reckon it's fine.

I just use the following for mirroring Calibre library folders and it has no problem copying metadata.db even when Calibre's running and has the library open.

Code:
robocopy source target /mir /fft /dst /r:0 /w:0

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-13-2020 at 05:55 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Robocopy doesn't require exclusive access as far as I know so reckon it's fine.

I just use the following for mirroring Calibre library folders and it has no problem copying metadata.db even when Calibre's running and has the library open.

Code:
robocopy source target /mir /fft /dst /r:0 /w:0
I might change...later
Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
To backup my Calibre library, I use FreeFileSync. Works very well. Plus, I only have to copy new or changed files.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote