Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
TortoiseAvenger
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Xray like feature possible for non-Amazon books?

Wasn't sure where to post this, since it's "anything other than Amazon."

Is there a way to get Xray like features (I'm especially interested in Character lookup) without a kindle book? Is this done through the device, or through the file itself?

FYI: I have a kindle and a kobo... experimenting with both. I'm starting to use Calibre a lot.
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If you use microsoft windows this thread supports an application to build Xray files from arbitrary books.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245754
Xray files are separate files that are sqlite databases. Accessing Xray features requires reading the book on an amazon kindle with Xray support (all modern kindles going back at least 6 years).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
TortoiseAvenger
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm Mac only...
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post
I'm Mac only...
The application in the thread I listed is the most actively maintained so that is the one I mentioned, but there have been others written in python. I have never used any of them, including the first, You can search on threads tagged x-ray, see what comes up, and give those a try.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've found that most of the benefits of X-Ray can be had by using text search. I rarely use X-Ray since I began doing that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #6
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've found that most of the benefits of X-Ray can be had by using text search. I rarely use X-Ray since I began doing that.

Barry
I do both and I've found that the additional benefits of X-ray are worthwhile for me. I frequently use X-ray. However, I am annoyed that the X-ray files for most books have a lot of errors.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
HLS
Groupie
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
NO. For x-ray is unique to Amazon specifically
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote