Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Everyone that would likely listen to an audiobook has a smartphone. Over half of eBooks are read on phones.
An eink ereader is awkward while driving, gym, jogging, cycling, "working" etc, a phone is simple, easier to carry or have on car / bike and less obtrusive.

I do like to listen to audio books, but neither have a mobile nor a car, nor do I run or go to the gym. And when I bike I prefer to not block my ears, but prefer to be able to hear what is going on around me, so I will hopefully survive biking in Berlin without ending up under a lorry. Thankfully I own an ereader that does audiobooks.

Hope this doesn't crush your obviously rigid views too hard now.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
It must have loud loudspeakers. Also I'm curious as to how you afix the ereader to the bicycle? Also what make/model? I think some very old kindles had speakers, but they are rubbish for audiobooks and poor as it's basically earphone drivers used as speakers.

There are many over ear headphones that don't block sound and also the in-ear ones fall out at the bumps on the road.

My views are not rigid. I was musing on what the logic of Kobo or Nook might be.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Best Buy sells 10 inch Fire Tablets
A crippled almost locked to monopolist Amazon, Android tablet. You'd get a decent real Android tablet at a similar price and the Amazon app (if you want their spyware) is like the one built in on a Fire. I'd use Calibre and a plugin in on laptop to convert any Kindle docs to ePub. Pocketbook on Android seems good for PDFs and ePub. I have a 256 G micro SD card in my Lenovo Tablet. It's also got fabulous battery life.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #19
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I been reading on Tablets since my 1st Fire I also Read on the 10" & my Cell Phone. for your advice. I keep it in mind while I KEEP Reading
Hahaha my bad, I meant "reading" as reading a book. Sure you can use a tablet for reading but if I can choose, I prefer e-ink over a screen that projects light. It's way less taxing for the eyes from my point of view (!!).
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:09 AM   #20
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Listening to audio book from a tablet puts me to sleep with it's monotonous reading or I stop paying attention.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2020, 04:20 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Listening to audio book from a tablet puts me to sleep with it's monotonous reading or I stop paying attention.
i have the same problem, but my wife likes audiobooks in the car and has not fallen asleep at the wheel yet!

i have to do the "borrow mp3 from library, copy to usb stick" bit, for the car. Bluetooth from phone would work in car also, but she likes to keep that free for traffic apps

i tried various narrators and some of my favourite novels but I just don't get on with audiobooks. i even tried with a smart audio book app that lets me vary the reading speed. playback at 1.1x was a little better but still, I prefer the ebook
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
It must have loud loudspeakers. Also I'm curious as to how you afix the ereader to the bicycle? Also what make/model? I think some very old kindles had speakers, but they are rubbish for audiobooks and poor as it's basically earphone drivers used as speakers.

There are many over ear headphones that don't block sound and also the in-ear ones fall out at the bumps on the road.

My views are not rigid. I was musing on what the logic of Kobo or Nook might be.

No, it doesn't have speakers. And I do not wear ANY kind of headphones while biking. As I said, I need all my senses to stay alive. Biking in a big city that was designed for cars is no endeavour for wimps or daydreamers, even though I do see the occasional suicidal texting on their bikes

One thing I really do not understand is how and why people can not just do one thing and one thing alone. When they go jogging, they listen to music. Most people I see walking their dogs talking on their mobiles, even in the woods. For me the allure of walking through a forest is the quiet and the sounds of nature. I prefer swimming to every other sport because no one is bothering me with their mostly uninteresting conversation.

With some books I like to switch back and forth between reading and listening. And because I do not have many devices, I use my reader or my tablet for it. And as I don't do this while out and about but when I am at home (or in a car, plane or my friends RV), the reader is not awkward to use at all.

As for my comment on having rigid views, I must have been really grumpy las night, so sorry for that
Old 01-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #23
HLS
Groupie
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
Quote:
I have a 10" Fire its too big to read on with comfort. I ended up using it for movies.
fire is a tablet not a true ereader.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:01 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
wow. really?

I've been using one for 2 years and never noticed, so thankyou for that late but helpful post
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The post was not about a tablet s a Reader but that a 10.3" screen was found to be too large for reading.

Some may like it if they read a lot of PDF, manga, comics, or graphic novels and some may not like it if they read just regular text based eBooks. Personally, I think 8" is as big as I'd like ot do for a Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #26
tschucha
Enthusiast
tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The post was not about a tablet s a Reader but that a 10.3" screen was found to be too large for reading.

Some may like it if they read a lot of PDF, manga, comics, or graphic novels and some may not like it if they read just regular text based eBooks. Personally, I think 8" is as big as I'd like ot do for a Reader.
I've got a Forma with an 8 inch screen. I'd still like to see one bigger . The Forma performs very well and it's weight is very light. I'd just like to see an e-reader that was even bigger.

I have a 10 inch google tablet and have read a few books on it. It is a bit tiring on the eyes. and a bit heaver than I would like but size-wise it is just about perfect.

An e-reader with 300DPI resolution and a 10 inch screen weighing just a bit more than the Forma that has the amber night lighting would be perfect.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:13 AM   #27
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
An e-reader with 300DPI resolution and a 10 inch screen weighing just a bit more than the Forma that has the amber night lighting would be perfect.
Pocketbook Inkpad X

[https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1580368107558]

Resolution is 227 ppi, but all the reviews I've seen say there is no discernible difference.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Inkpad Pocketbook X unavailable here, closest seems to be Germany, €419. At least it's the same currency we use in Ireland, unlike UK which what Amazon wants us to use. Will Brexit fix that? Though Amazon.de has added four other languages as well as the previous English option.
Periodically various Pocketbooks appear and vanish on Amazon.co.uk However many items to Ireland only ship from UK Amazon and the real shipping costs are nearly the same. Only recently did Amazon add option to change to USA for Kindle ebooks instead of UK, but you can't use both. You don't see Amazon UK shipping costs to Ireland or Euro price till you go to checkout. For a Global company, they are idiotic.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #29
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In the U.S., they/Kobo do sell audiobooks. They have for a while ( a couple of years?). I was a little surprised that the Forma and Libra didn't have audio support.
They do in Canada as well.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote