Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot buy the same book twice from amazon. When you try to buy a book you've already bought, you are unable to buy it again. Covers get changed all the time. That's nothing new.
Not totally true. Some books in my Kindle library, bought from Amazon, no longer shown as bought. This can be due to the author changing publishers or revising the book to a new or expanded edition. I have two editions of a book by Megan Derr, the second much expanded.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
DuskyRose
Fanatic
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura, Ipad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Not totally true. Some books in my Kindle library, bought from Amazon, no longer shown as bought. This can be due to the author changing publishers or revising the book to a new or expanded edition. I have two editions of a book by Megan Derr, the second much expanded.

I almost bought another book because it's an author I always pick up, but last minute decided to check my list anyway. In case I picked it up somewhere else.

Yup. I already had it, bought at Amazon. Still in my Amazon library. Same title, different cover and Amazon code. Not even listed as re-edited or anything. It was still listed under the old Amazon code, with the label of it already being in my library showing up on the Amazon page.

But the 'new' book was listed under "Recommended for You" even though I'd already purchased the old copy.

I'm glad I checked. I'm going to check them all now.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #18
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
In my experience the "Recommended for You" listings are based on subject matter of prior purchases and are not cross checked against all ready done prior purchases. Buy a history book and a good chance it will be recommended for purchase later, along with other history books.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
In my experience the "Recommended for You" listings are based on subject matter of prior purchases and are not cross checked against all ready done prior purchases. Buy a history book and a good chance it will be recommended for purchase later, along with other history books.
'Recommended for you' is HORRIBLE. It will recommend the Hardback of the book you have bought the Paperback of.
I get the same terrible results with Video Media suggestions (and I am not griping about Extended Cut offers for a standard release owned. that gripe belong with the studio greed and delay).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Traditional publishing has had this happen in the past. An example is the works of Agatha Christie. In England her publisher's had one title for a given book and the U.S. publisher would have a different one (along with a different cover). "Murder in the Calais coach"(U.S) and "Murder on the Orient Express" (U.K.) is an example. It's the same book but with two different titles and covers due to there being two different publishers.
I cannot find any eBook titled Murder in the Calais Coach. I can find in both the US and the UK Murder on the Orient Express.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
And expanded ook is not the same as the book you previously bought. A couple of examples are The Stand by Stephen King and American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Both have expanded versions which I would expect to have a different ISBN and ASIN because they are different. And if the original versons are still for sale, you cannot have two books with the same ISBN or ASIN.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #22
Jo69
Zealot
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does it happen to specific authors you like, or genres? Can you give some examples of specific books you purchased multiple times, please.
Yes no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	176014  
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #23
Jo69
Zealot
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I almost bought another book because it's an author I always pick up, but last minute decided to check my list anyway. In case I picked it up somewhere else.

Yup. I already had it, bought at Amazon. Still in my Amazon library. Same title, different cover and Amazon code. Not even listed as re-edited or anything. It was still listed under the old Amazon code, with the label of it already being in my library showing up on the Amazon page.

But the 'new' book was listed under "Recommended for You" even though I'd already purchased the old copy.

I'm glad I checked. I'm going to check them all now.
Its very frustrating isn't it Happened to me a lot.
Once it was just a week after I had bought the original!
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #24
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
It’s happened to me a few times but it’s usually for a valid reason:

1 One version of the book was an Amazon deal and the other version was part of a bundle (StoryBundle, HumbleBundle etc)
2 One version was part of an omnibus or box set, the other was standalone. (Usually book 1 in a series)
3 Both my partner and I got it in the days before family sharing was available.

Usually, I check Calibre before purchase (or see what’s been loaded on the Kobo if I’m away).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #25
tch65721
Addict
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite, Fire 10", Android phone
I've warned about this a few times on the bargains forum. It happens to me fairly often.
I once trusted Amazon to flag duplicates. Now I never buy without checking "your content and devices" first.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
You cannot buy the same book twice from amazon. When you try to buy a book you've already bought, you are unable to buy it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Open Road Media is notorious for this...re-publishing (for lack of a better word) their books with new ASIN so you don't know that you've bought them before. Jury is out on whether they do it deliberately or not, although it's hard for me to understand why else they would do it.
Yep. Arthur C. Clarke's books are a perfect example of this. I have two copies of Prelude to Space, Rendezvous With Rama, 2061 and 3001. Same cover, same publisher, same everything.

There are several more of his books that a quick glance at Amazon says I don't own, yet the Kindle app says I do.

Quote:
I would expect the ASIN to change when the publisher changes. But if there is a new cover and/or fixes, I would not expect it to be a different ASIN.
Yet it happens.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yep. Arthur C. Clarke's books are a perfect example of this. I have two copies of Prelude to Space, Rendezvous With Rama, 2061 and 3001. Same cover, same publisher, same everything.

There are several more of his books that a quick glance at Amazon says I don't own, yet the Kindle app says I do.

Yet it happens.
I've had a few of these as well, but mostly I notice that I already have it. I do have some duplicates, but it's mostly omnibus books where I make the decision to have multiple copies for convenience sake. I buy from enough different sources (Amazon, Baen, Sony) that I normally will look in my Calbre library first.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #28
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
For people not in the US it's even worse. Often both the US and UK edition of a book are available in my country. In the case of new releases, sometimes the different editions have different release times. And I might already have bought one of them.

And then there's buying elsewhere than Amazon (which I do a lot, because Amazon prices are often the highest for me). Without Calibre I would probably have purchased dozens of books twice or thrice.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #29
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
James Patterson Does that! Pi$$es me off! I keep thinking new book when its old book I already have You think as Rich as he is he would not stoop to trickery with his fans
Sample: Private Down Under aka Oz ....Private Oz aka Down Under [6th book of Private series]
I don't usually let my purchasing be too heavily influenced by moral issues but I make an exception for James Patterson. I have enjoyed a number of his books in the past but when I found out he hires large numbers of writers to write his books and calls the co-authors I quit buying his books. I make many of my purchasing decisions based on the author and when an author isn't the author I thought I was paying for I've been cheated.

Personally I think the biggest crook in James Patterson's novels is James Patterson.

Of course he's not the only one. I first became aware of this issue when I read that V. C. Andrews had written more novels since her death than she wrote during her lifetime. Now I see new Robert Parker novels written by other authors. If they wanted to do that honestly they'd say Spenser novels or novels from other series and give the author's name.

Maybe we should use the same moral sense that prohibits the advocating piracy to prohibit advocating publishing. Publishers sure do a lot of cheating.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #30
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I cannot find any eBook titled Murder in the Calais Coach. I can find in both the US and the UK Murder on the Orient Express.
If you google Murder in the Calais Coach it'll take you to Murder in the Orient Express. I'm just guessing but the first name might have been Muder in the Calais Coach and now the book is so well known under Murder on the Orient Express that now it's publshed that way on both sides of the Atlantic. As I said, I'm just guessing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote