Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Nook Glowlight Plus $159.99

This is a better sale than Black Friday. Don't know how long this price will last.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594829720
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Thanks, I was hoping to see it go on sale again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Wow. Hell of a deal on hardware like that.

I really wish I liked Nook software more
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Too bad the software is lousy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too bad the software is lousy.
Apparently the newest upgrade has helped, according to folks who actually own and use these. And, since the Nook Glowlight + is based on Android it could probably be jailbroken and used with other applications, while retaining the very nice hardware and extremely good screen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
Ryzir
Enthusiast
Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Apparently the newest upgrade has helped, according to folks who actually own and use these. And, since the Nook Glowlight + is based on Android it could probably be jailbroken and used with other applications, while retaining the very nice hardware and extremely good screen.
Apps can be sideloaded without root using ADB. If you install a launcher and a file manager you can install apps by copying from computer and using the file manager to install.

However, the biggest downside is there is no back button on the Nooks which almost all android apps need. I have rooted my GL3 and re-mapped one of the hardware buttons to be a back button. In the past I've used Button Savior on the ST which should work on the recent glowlights. It adds a touch screen back button without needing root.

I use Calibre Companion on my GL3 and it works really well. Best library/browser out of all the readers I've used. I alternate between the Nook reader and ALreader. There are things I like and dislike about both.

Also with root I've been able to use Calibre Companion to set the screensaver to use the cover of the book I'm currently reading.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ordered one of these at this $159.99 price. IMO the price is right considering the storage limitations and the real possibility that B&N might not survive. Wasnít at all interested in it at the full retail price.

Overall I like it a lot and it compares well to my Oasis 2017 in performance and readability. Wish there was a more generic Android e-ink device that worked as well and was as easy to read.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rhari79 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
However, the biggest downside is there is no back button on the Nooks which almost all android apps need.
This app helps with this :VirtualSoftKeys
I usually install from F-Droid repo(via app or download).
There should be other similar apps available elsewhere, but i prefer f-droid.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
"If you're in the kitchen, Mabel, come back in the front room." [Dan Rather]

The sale is now OVER.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"If you're in the kitchen, Mabel, come back in the front room." [Dan Rather]

The sale is now OVER.
Itís too bad.

Honestly that should probably be the normal retail price to really be an attractive option. I think the Nook software places their hardware and the overall package in a distant third place behind both Kobo and Amazon.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Itís too bad.

Honestly that should probably be the normal retail price to really be an attractive option. I think the Nook software places their hardware and the overall package in a distant third place behind both Kobo and Amazon.
The problem (as I see it) is that the sale price is still too high given that the nook software is rubbish.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #12
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem (as I see it) is that the sale price is still too high given that the nook software is rubbish.
Fair point and hard to disagree. The software is such a huge part of the experience for any e-reader.

Barnes and Noble needs to seriously step up their software game or it really wont ever matter what hardware they release.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Fair point and hard to disagree. The software is such a huge part of the experience for any e-reader.

Barnes and Noble needs to seriously step up their software game or it really wont ever matter what hardware they release.
Exactly. B&N doesn't care. If they cared, the would never have removed the eBook download from the website. That has hurt sales of eBooks.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Nook, Onyx, Boyue, Kindle
I'm running a rooted 6" nook gl3 with relaunchx and koreader. Wonderful device. Wonderful reading experience. The comfort light in night mode is amazing on the super excellent screen. Best screen I've ever had. But yes, the software is cranky, even rooted. But it works. Love it. Not sure I need a 7.8" though. If the Bluetooth worked with a keyboard I might consider it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
Lparsons21
Zealot

The shame of the Glowlight Plus is that while being superb for reading ebooks, it is really only so for Nook Books. And I agree with those that say it is about the best reading screen out there, it really is. Even better than the superb Kindle Oasis IMO.