Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
miyata
miyata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Google Nexus 10
Custom Font fails

Hey there,
I put a font in \fonts, can select it in the fontselector, but only the booktitle of the book gets shown in that font. when I go to advanced font options, the example text gets shown in that font, so it seems to be working.
My guess I did sth. with Calibre to the Epub I shouldn't have. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance
Miyata
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is it only your sideloaded font that doesn't work in this book, or does it prevent you changing the main text to other built-in fonts too?

Edit: If it is only the sideloaded font that doesn't work, then did you remember to turn the device off and restarting it after installing the font?

Otherwise, if you have converted the book with Calibre then there are some things that can go wrong that prevent fonts, margins, line-spacing etc. being adjustable in the new book. This is a problem with the way Calibre creates the .css stylesheet.

But some books are also created by the publisher in a way that prevents the font for the main text being changed. This is really a publishing mistake, and there are a few ways to fix it:

The easiest way is to do an epub-->epub conversion in Calibre, and tick the Look&Feel --> Filter style information --> Fonts box. This is a very heavy-handed solution it as it will remove all the font-family directives from the book, and just use the one font that you select for all text. But if the book only uses a single font family, then this isn't a problem.

A better way is to edit the book's .css stylesheet, removing the font-family directives from the paragraph classes used for the main text and replacing them with a single font-family directive in the body. This way the book will let you select your preferred font for the main text, but still allow other other fonts to be used in other parts of the book, and you can get the original font layout by selecting the "Document default" font if you want. You need to know a ittle bit about .css to do this though. I can explain in more detail if you like.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-16-2014 at 05:17 AM. Reason: restart device after sideloading font.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
miyata
miyata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Google Nexus 10
Thank you so much for this in depth answer and suggestions. Besides solving my problem (It was restarting the device didn't know I had to da that), you gave me many best practice tips which will make my life in the future much easier.
Thank you again
Miyata
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote