Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #196
lowsense
lowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Hadn't tried listening when the phone is locked. Tried it after reading your post and had exactly the same experience. Played around in Settings. Nothing seemed to work. Was very frustrating.

Then thought that maybe the @VoiceAloudReader was somehow being routed through the Music app. Opened the Music app and went into its setting. Set the music close time for 90 minutes. Then I went into Settings and white listed the Music app... It played a bit longer, but eventually stopped.

Then in Settings, I decided to completely turn off the automatic cleaning settings even though I had white listed both the @VoiceAloudReader and the Music app. That seems to have done the trick. It is still playing after more than 10 minutes.
Thanks for trying! I will give a try
lowsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #197
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsense View Post
Thanks for trying! I will give a try
No problem. Seems you don't have to do anything with the Music app. All you need to do is disable the automatic Memory Cleanup function. For some reason, simply white listing the @VoiceAloudReader doesn't do the trick.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #198
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Go figure, an Android device has issues with heavy-handed memory management.
(That said, at least it's not iOS with a walled garden ecosystem complete with heavy-handed curation)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #199
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Hisense A5-Equivalent WITH Google Play coming up

For everybody who is (like me) craving for an E-ink smartphone WITH Google Play services working:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...ore-cpu-video/

Enjoy!
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:22 AM   #200
patjee
patjee began at the beginning.

Device: hisense a5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
For everybody who is (like me) craving for an E-ink smartphone WITH Google Play services working:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...ore-cpu-video/

Enjoy!
The site says:
> Like Onyx’s other new reading and note-taking devices, the Onyx phone runs Android 9.0 with (unofficial) Google Play support and it’s powered by an octa-core processor.

We'll see how that works. The first videos of Hisense A5 had Google maps on it...
patjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #201
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Did you hear about Fairphone? I've learned about it recently and immediately asked on their forum whether they ever considered e-ink screens https://forum.fairphone.com/t/e-ink-...lacement/57011

For what it is, Fairphone 3 sounds a perfect phone if only they make an e-ink screen for it.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #202
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
jjlll
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
A color eink monitor isn't going to work well for things like video. Heck, even web browsing static text pages might be painful due to having to scroll on a screen whose refresh rate might be measured in seconds per fram.
The color hisense phone looks pretty good in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVZL83k5aU

If you look at 2:15 where he uses the internet, it looks pretty similar in terms of eink performance, to current models like the a2 or a5 does it not? I personally don't mind videos on my a2pro so colour would defintely be a plus, at least on that device.

Edit screwed up this post, I completely forgot we were talking about monitors...still won't they be the same as the phone? Perhaps not.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 01-25-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #203
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
Guys did we all hurry up and not wait for a New hisense color e ink phone?
What do you think?
Depends on the price of the colour phone. I would already have the a6 if it weren't for the higher price. A colour eink phone will be hard to resist though.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #204
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Depends on the price of the colour phone. I would already have the a6 if it weren't for the higher price. A colour eink phone will be hard to resist though.
It's amazing! I'll wait.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #205
slanotran
slanotran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindke 3
Hello !
Can someone tell me more about browsing experience. Is it enough smoothly and convinient to scroll the web pages. I want to read articles in different sites. Whether the refresh rate is sufficient for this purpose, because some other devices, including my kindle, are very annoying.
It would be great if someone upload video with browsinng.
slanotran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #206
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjee View Post
...I also did install microg.

The lack of Google Play and GMS is definitely annoying for some things, but going through a shortcut on a browser usually does the trick, for Uber for instance. I got Whatsapp and Viber to work fine, as well as my bank, internet service provider, security and email app. Only one specific app doesn't send notifications.
I added the microg repository to f-droid and installed it but it says the Hisense rom doesn't support signature spoofing which is a requirement of microg.

Could you please explain the steps you followed to install microg in order to get notifications from apps installed via the Aurora store.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #207
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by slanotran View Post
Hello !
Can someone tell me more about browsing experience. Is it enough smoothly and convinient to scroll the web pages. I want to read articles in different sites. Whether the refresh rate is sufficient for this purpose, because some other devices, including my kindle, are very annoying.
It would be great if someone upload video with browsinng.
The browsing experience in smooth mode is brilliant. Nothing like on a Kindle. I'm sure you could find videos on youtube.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #208
Waiting4somethin
Addict

I just received the a5 from cect shop. Some thoughts and answers to the questions I had...

-The screen is as good as a regular ereader, almost no reflectiveness (edit: I think due to matt protector).
-Screen is also much whiter than the a2, very white beautiful eink screen.
-It does NOT have dual sim cards. (But has microsd like previous models)
-There is an extra button called the eink button.
--combined with a volume button it turns on/off frontlight
--supposedly it can switch to an application (edit: but only in the default launcher I think)
--holding opens "voice assistant" :/
-It has its own "recent apps" page which has a sideways visual movement when swiping apps
-The touchscreen feels about as responsive as the a2 pro to me
-Touchscreen might be more responsive if you remove protector, but it looks to me like it will reflect
-Frontlight can be turned on/off or adjusted in notification area
-Phone sleeps and wakes simply like a normal phone (unlike the awkward double screen versions)
-Apps are automatically added to smooth refresh mode
-The screen is near enough an inch larger in height than the a2pro, and a fraction wider.

This phone is excellent. The only nitpick is the poor customization of the eink button. Really sad waste of a button. Everything else is perfect (though I haven't tested if it has fast charging, I will post an update).

Later notes:
-Video looks a bit more faded than I'm used to on the a2pro, perhaps because of matt protector?
-Video is more like on yota2. It does have the benefit of not reflecting, which is annoying on the a2pro.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #209
patjee
patjee began at the beginning.

Device: hisense a5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
I added the microg repository to f-droid and installed it but it says the Hisense rom doesn't support signature spoofing which is a requirement of microg.

Could you please explain the steps you followed to install microg in order to get notifications from apps installed via the Aurora store.
Ah yes, I was quite imprecise in my post, sorry. I downloaded microg and it did indeed signal the problems you mention. I then downloaded the Google suite from the Hisense store, which installs 3 apps. The store didn't work so I removed it but Google Play Services and Google Services Framework seem to. Uber can for instance get my location, at least when I'm on their mobile sire (m.uber.com). I get notifications from Viber and WhatsApp.
patjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #210
Thepilator
Thepilator began at the beginning.

Device: None
How do you get WhatsApp notifications in the notification bar, can you explain?
Thepilator is offline   Reply With Quote