Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #976
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm undecided between Unspeakable Things and I Choose You. I'll wait and see what kinds of reviews they get.
Catlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #977
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm going for Lost Hills as Lee Goldberg is a good author.
Ditto. Plus a cover blurb by Michael Connelly doesn't hurt (if he actually read it).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #978
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Unspeakable Things is a bit too dark for me. ( Perhaps because it's based on real events.) So I'll try " I Choose You."

Thanks again for posting this DrD123 I wish there was a sci fi or fantasy this time too. Maybe next time.

Last edited by Wearever; 12-06-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:52 AM   #979
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook HD+, Paperwhite
This month's Amazon First Reads selections are out, they are:

This month Prime members get to choose two Kindle books for free!

When I Was You by Minka Kent [Genre: Psychological Thriller]
Quote:
A stolen identity leads a woman down a dark and desperate path in a gripping novel of psychological suspense by Wall Street Journal bestselling author Minka Kent.

After barely surviving a brutal attack, Brienne Dougray rarely leaves her house. Suffering from debilitating headaches and memory loss, she can rely only on her compassionate new tenant, Dr. Niall Emberlin, a welcome distraction from the discomfiting bubble that has become her existence.

But Brienne’s growing confidence in her new routine is shaken when she stumbles across unsettling evidence that someone else is living as…her. Same name. Same car. Same hair. Same clothes. She’s even friended her family on social media. To find out why, Brienne must leave the safety of her home to hunt a familiar stranger.

What she discovers is more disturbing than she could have ever imagined. With her fragile mind close to shattering, Brienne is prepared to do anything to reclaim her life. If it’s even hers to reclaim.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
In When I Was You, author Minka Kent turns the time-tested memory-loss narrative on its head. Kent couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if she was someone else. After all, identity theft is a rampant problem in the modern era. In 2017 there were 14.4 million cases of the crime in the US. The result is a twisting novel that is sure to keep you riveted until the very last line.

Brienne Dougray hasn’t trusted her memory since a horrible attack several months before our novel begins. Since then, she’s become a shut-in, isolated from her coworkers and even her friends. The only person she has frequent contact with is her roommate, Niall.

Now there’s someone else out there claiming that she is Brienne Dougray.

But what if the person who stole your identity didn’t just steal your credentials? What if they really became you, right down to the clothes you wear? Is Brienne still herself if someone else is out there living her life, driving her car...and doing a better job at it than Brienne ever did? - Jessica Tribble Wells, Editor

The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock by Jane Riley [Genre: Contemporary Fiction]
Quote:
His life is perfectly regimented. Is there really room for something as unpredictable as love?

Oliver Clock has everything arranged just so. A steady job running the family funeral parlour. A fridge stocked with ready meals. A drawer full of colour-coded socks. A plan (of sorts) to stay trim enough for a standard-sized coffin. And in florist Marie, he’s even found the love of his life—not that she’s aware of it.

When a terrible tragedy takes Marie out of his life but leaves him with her private journal, he discovers too late that she secretly loved him back. Faced now with an empty love life, a family funeral business in trouble, a fast-approaching fortieth birthday and a notebook of resolutions he’s never achieved, Oliver resolves to open himself up to love—and all the mess that comes along with it.

But, with a habit of burying his feelings, can he learn to embrace his lovability and find the woman who will make him feel whole?

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
When this book first landed on my desk, I knew that I had found something very special. Quirky and uplifting, both laugh-out-loud funny and intensely poignant. I was enchanted by Oliver Clock and defy you to not be blown over by him too!

Oliver Clock has constructed a carefully organized world for himself, which is perhaps just a little OCD. He’s lonely, desperate for love, and having just inherited his family’s funeral home business, not the most attractive prospect. But his secret is that he has been in love with Marie, the funeral florist, for fifteen years. He’s never been able to tell her how he feels, and when she suddenly passes away, his opportunity is lost. Devastated by her death, Oliver is given Marie’s diary and discovers that she had secretly harbored a love for him too. This brings on a realization from Oliver that perhaps he is worthy of a happy relationship after all.

This book’s sparkly wit and charm had me from the first chapter. Author Jane Riley has a way of bringing rays of light into the most bittersweet of situations and conjuring up characters who are unforgettable. A truly joyful read! - Sammia Hamer, Editor

Thief River Falls by Brian Freeman [Genre: Suspense]
Quote:
Harrowing loss, psychological trauma, and a deadly mystery test the human will to survive in this electrifying novel from award-winning author Brian Freeman.

Lisa Power is a tortured ghost of her former self. The author of a bestselling thriller called Thief River Falls, named after her rural Minnesota hometown, Lisa is secluded in her remote house as she struggles with the loss of her entire family: a series of tragedies she calls the “Dark Star.”

Then a nameless runaway boy shows up at her door with a terrifying story: he’s just escaped death after witnessing a brutal murder—a crime the police want to cover up. Obsessed with the boy’s safety, Lisa resolves to expose this crime, but powerful men in Thief River Falls are desperate to get the boy back, and now they want her too.

Lisa and her young visitor have nowhere to go as the trap closes around them. Still under the strange, unforgiving threat of the Dark Star, Lisa must find a way to save them both, or they’ll become the victims of another shocking tragedy she can’t foresee.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
I don’t want to spoil this book for you. I want you to dive into the pages of Brian Freeman’s Thief River Falls with the same excitement and eagerness that I did. I want you to worry as Lisa Power shelters a nameless runaway, wondering why these men are after the boy. I want you to question every story as Lisa does, searching endlessly for the truth.

Most important, I want you to experience the ending the way I did: devouring the text, eager for a conclusion to a mystery that was unlike anything I’d read before.

When The Sixth Sense debuted in theaters in 1999, viewers across the globe entered into a tacit agreement: don’t spoil the ending for those who haven’t seen it. When a friend mentioned the twist to me two days before I saw the film, I thought he was kidding. Ten minutes into the film, I knew that he’d spoiled the movie.

Don’t be my traitorous friend. Thief River Falls is a stunning novel with a profound twist that demonstrates what Brian Freeman fans have known for years: he’s a writer who after twenty novels will still surprise you. Please keep the secret safe—spoilers are no laughing matter. - Jessica Tribble Wells, Editor

Last Day by Luanne Rice [Genre: Domestic Suspense]
Quote:
From celebrated New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice comes a riveting story of a seaside community shaken by a violent crime and a tragic loss.

Years ago, Beth Lathrop and her sister Kate suffered what they thought would be the worst tragedy of their lives the night both the famous painting Moonlight and their mother were taken. The detective assigned to the case, Conor Reid, swore to protect the sisters from then on.

Beth moved on, throwing herself fully into the art world, running the family gallery, and raising a beautiful daughter with her husband Pete. Kate, instead, retreated into herself and took to the skies as a pilot, always on the run. When Beth is found strangled in her home, and Moonlight goes missing again, Detective Reid can’t help but feel a sense of déjà vu.

Reid immediately suspects Beth’s husband, whose affair is a poorly kept secret. He has an airtight alibi—but he also has a motive, and the evidence seems to point to him. Kate and Reid, along with the sisters’ closest childhood friends, struggle to make sense of Beth’s death, but they only find more questions: Who else would have wanted Beth dead? What’s the significance of Moonlight?

Twenty years ago, Reid vowed to protect Beth and Kate—and he’s failed. Now solving the case is turning into an obsession . . .

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
Black Hall, Connecticut, is known as a safe place. A small seaside town free of violent crime. So when gallery owner Beth Lathrop is brutally murdered, Beth’s family and friends are left reeling. None more so than Beth’s sister, Kate. With the help of Detective Conor Reid, Kate will dig deep into Beth’s final weeks and days, their attention rarely deviating from Beth’s cheating and opportunistic spouse.

Because it’s always the husband. As we’ve learned from countless crime shows—and actual CDC data—when a woman is murdered, her partner is the likely culprit. So what do we make of a husband with an airtight alibi? Is there such a thing?

That is the question that led me to read page after page after page late into the night. I was completely engrossed in Luanne Rice’s twisted and heartrending story of a horrific murder and its aftermath...and the brutal secrets buried in a tranquil seaside town.

After five years writing young adult fiction, beloved New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice has returned to her roots in compelling family drama for adults! And it is her best—and most thrilling—ever. Luanne has brilliantly combined elements of domestic and psychological suspense with police procedural, resulting in a book I read in one sitting. - Liz Pearsons, Editor

The Future of Feeling by Kaitlin Ugolik Phillips [Genre: Nonfiction]
Quote:
An insightful exploration of what social media, AI, robot technology, and the digital world are doing to our relationships with each other and with ourselves.

There’s no doubt that technology has made it easier to communicate. It’s also easier to shut someone out when we are confronted with online discourse. Why bother to understand strangers—or even acquaintances—when you can troll them, block them, or just click “Unfriend” and never look back? However briefly satisfying that might be, it’s also potentially eroding one of our most human traits: empathy.

So what does the future look like when something so vital to a peaceful, healthy, and productive society is fading away? The cautionary, yet hopeful, answer is in this champion for an endangered emotion.

In The Future of Feeling, Kaitlin Ugolik Phillips shares her own personal stories as well as those of doctors, entrepreneurs, teachers, journalists, and scientists about moving innovation and technology forward without succumbing to isolation. This book is for anyone interested in how our brains work, how they’re subtly being rewired to work differently, and what that ultimately means for us as humans.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
I use social media and technology every single day. Some days it makes me feel informed, comforted, connected; other times, exposed, vulnerable, misunderstood, or just inadequate. The constant is that I feel those feels in front of my screen, alone.

Kaitlin Ugolik Phillips is a journalist who sees empathy as a vital and endangered element of a peaceful, healthy, and productive society, but she is also, like me and many of you, an adapter of the mobile and digital life we all now lead to keep up and keep in touch. Sharing data and expert predictions about what technology—especially, but not only, social media—is doing to our ability to empathize, Phillips will hopefully convince you of our potential as a society to keep innovating without succumbing to personal isolation.

This book is for those who are socially and politically engaged. Those who are actively looking for ways to make or support societal change, either in small ways or more systematically. The Future of Feeling is for anyone who is interested in how our brains and psyches work, how they might work differently in the near future, and what that means for us as humans. - Erin Calligan Mooney, Editor

The Names of the Dead by Kevin Wignall [Genre: Thriller]
Quote:
They locked him up. Now he’s out—for revenge.

Former CIA officer James ‘Wes’ Wesley paid the ultimate price for his patriotism when he was locked up in a French jail for an anti-terror operation gone wrong—abandoned by the Agency he served, shunned by his colleagues and friends, cut off from his family.

Now he is shattered by the news that his ex-wife, Rachel, a State Department analyst, has been killed in a terrorist attack in Spain. He also discovers that his young son, Ethan, is missing. But Wes didn’t know he had a son—until now.

Why was Rachel in Spain? And why did she keep his son secret from him?

Granted early release, Wes takes flight across Europe to search for the truth and exact his revenge. But can he catch the spies who betrayed him before they track him down? In order to find the answers and save his son, Wes realises he must confront the dark secrets in his own past—before it’s too late.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
Kevin Wignall is the master of the intelligent international thriller. As soon as I open one of Kevin’s bestselling books, I know I am going to be immersed in a highly cinematic world with instantly relatable characters, a chase that will traverse the globe, and a pulse-pounding race to the finish that always leaves me breathless.

Former CIA officer James “Wes” Wesley believes he has already paid the ultimate price for his patriotism, locked up in a French jail. But when he learns that his ex-wife, Rachel, has been killed in a terrorist attack in Spain and the young son Wes hadn’t known existed is missing, Wes is released on compassionate grounds to uncover the truth. Journeying across Europe, he will reopen old wounds and uncover long-buried secrets that will push him to the limit.

I suspect that, like Wignall’s previous book To Die in Vienna, which is reportedly coming to the silver screen starring Jake Gyllenhaal, the characters from The Names of the Dead will also soon delight fans on the big screen. - Laura Deacon, Editor

In a Field of Blue by Gemma Liviero [Genre: Historical Fiction]
Quote:
From the bestselling author of The Road Beyond Ruin comes a novel about a family torn apart by grief and secrets, then pulled back together by hope in the wake of World War I.

England 1922. It’s been four years since Rudy’s brother Edgar went missing in war-torn France. Still deep in mourning and grappling with unanswered questions, Rudy and his mother struggle to move on. When the enigmatic Mariette arrives unexpectedly at the family’s manor claiming to be Edgar’s widow, and the mother of his child, Rudy urges her to stay, hoping she’ll shed light on the missing pieces.

Captivated by Mariette, Rudy finds that their mutual loss and grief bind them…as does the possibility of new love. But Mariette’s revelations bring more questions than answers about Edgar’s death. Suspicions threaten to divide Rudy’s already fractured family, setting him on a quest for the truth that takes him from England to France and beyond.

In his search, Rudy is forced to confront the tragedies of war and the realities of the brother he’s lost and the woman he’s found. Will the truth set him free to find peace, or will it forever shadow his future?

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
This beautiful story of love and devotion opened my eyes to the lasting trauma that so many soldiers carry off the battlefields. We’ve made great strides in treatment. But during World War I we didn’t have a clear understanding of the phenomenon. Many blamed the soldiers themselves, accusing them of cowardice and malingering.

In 1918, Rudy’s brother Edgar goes missing in France. Unable to shake his grief, Rudy is determined to unravel exactly what happened to his brother. Suspicion surrounds his death, and Mariette, the woman who claims to be Edgar’s widow, complicates Rudy’s quest for the truth. He falls hopelessly in love with her, but he’s tortured by guilt and unanswered questions. If Edgar is still alive, where is he? If he’s not, how can Rudy and his family make sense of his death?

In a Field of Blue both cast a light on the lasting effects of war and filled me with hope, showing how far a man will go to fulfill his promise to honor and protect those he loves. - Jodi Warshaw, Editor

Bird Hugs by Ged Adamson [Genre: Children's Picture Book]
Quote:
Bernard isn’t like other birds. His wings are impossibly long, and try as he might, he just can’t seem to fly. He’s left wondering what his wings are good for…if they’re even good for anything at all. But a chance encounter with a dejected orangutan leads Bernard to a surprising discovery: that maybe what makes him different is actually something to be embraced.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
I often think the world would be a kinder place if we embraced the sentiments found on the pages of picture books. Just take Bernard, a bird with impossibly long wings. He can’t fly, try as he might, and his friends fly off. But does he feel sorry for himself? Well, yes, for a bit. But when he comes upon a sad orangutan, he stops thinking about himself and focuses on how he can help, which as it turns out is with a great big hug.

The next thing he knows, there’s a parade of lions, giraffes, bats, and even a very brave worm waiting for a chance to tell him their problems and get one of his famous hugs. In the end, Bernard discovers that the thing that makes him different not only brings him purpose and joy, but lifts up so many others too. One hug, this charming book reminds us, can make all the difference. - Kelsey Skea, Editor
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #980
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As it turns out I didn't get a book last month afterall. Need to think about this months selection. Leaning towards " In a Field of Blue "( Historical Fiction ) I've read a book by this author and enjoyed it.

Thanks Manabi for posting this !
Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #981
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
As it turns out I didn't get a book last month afterall. Need to think about this months selection. Leaning towards " In a Field of Blue "( Historical Fiction ) I've read a book by this author and enjoyed it.

Thanks Manabi for posting this !
And remember you can get TWO this month! (Even if, like me, you almost never read them.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #982
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
And remember you can get TWO this month! (Even if, like me, you almost never read them.)
Thanks for the reminder badgoodDeb I forgot it was two books this month.

That's true some I've read and others are still on my TBR list. I believe the Historical Fiction book this month was the same author of a book also featured last year as a Kindle First selection. I did actually read that one and liked it. So I think I'll pick another one by her as a safe pick. Then I'll need to look at the others a bit more.

Last edited by Wearever; 01-08-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #983
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I went for Name of the Dead by Kevin Wignall as my first choice, because I've read some of his other books and enjoyed them.

And for my second choice I took a chance on The Future of Feeling by Kaitlin Ugolik Phillips - mostly because it mentions empathy as a central issue. And whenever I think about the polarization we are seeing today (without blaming one particular side, since we're supposed to stay away from politics here), I tend to think that a lack of empathy is one of the causes. So, I'll be interested to see what Phillips says about it.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #984
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook HD+, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I went for Name of the Dead by Kevin Wignall as my first choice, because I've read some of his other books and enjoyed them.

And for my second choice I took a chance on The Future of Feeling by Kaitlin Ugolik Phillips - mostly because it mentions empathy as a central issue. And whenever I think about the polarization we are seeing today (without blaming one particular side, since we're supposed to stay away from politics here), I tend to think that a lack of empathy is one of the causes. So, I'll be interested to see what Phillips says about it.
That's the two I got, although I don't foresee reading either of them. At the moment I'm rereading some of Isaac Asimov's scifi.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #985
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle First Reads for February

In an Instant by Suzanne Redfearn (Contemporary Fiction)

A deeply moving story of carrying on even when it seems impossible.

Life is over in an instant for sixteen-year-old Finn Miller when a devastating car accident tumbles her and ten others over the side of a mountain. Suspended between worlds, she watches helplessly as those she loves struggle to survive.

Impossible choices are made, decisions that leave the survivors tormented with grief and regret. Unable to let go, Finn keeps vigil as they struggle to reclaim their shattered lives. Jack, her father, who seeks vengeance against the one person he can blame other than himself; her best friend, Mo, who bravely searches for the truth as the story of their survival is rewritten; her sister Chloe, who knows Finn lingers and yearns to join her; and her mother, Ann, who saved them all but is haunted by her decisions. Finn needs to move on, but how can she with her family still in pieces?

Heartrending yet ultimately redemptive, In an Instant is a story about the power of love, the meaning of family, and carrying on…even when it seems impossible.

The Silence by Daisy Pearce (Psychological Suspense)

She’s broken. She’s vulnerable. She’s just what Marco was looking for.

Stella Wiseman was a child TV star, but there’s nothing glamorous about her life now. Alone in her thirties, she’s lost her parents and her friends and she’s stuck in a dead-end job. But just as she hits rock bottom she meets Marco, a charismatic older man who offers to get her back on her feet. He seems too good to be true.

Is he?

She appreciates the money he lavishes on her. And the pills. But are the pills just helping her sleep, or helping her avoid her problems?

With Stella’s life still in freefall, Marco whisks her away to a secluded cottage where she is isolated from everyone except him. But the closer he pulls her, the worse she gets. He tells her it’s all in her head, and she just needs time away from the world.

No longer sure what’s real and what’s not, Stella begins to question whether she was wrong to trust Marco. Was she wrong to trust herself? Is the one person she thought was fighting for her survival actually her biggest threat?

A Drop of Midnight: A Memoir by Jason Diakité (Author), Rachel Willson-Broyles (Translator) (Memoir)

World-renowned hip-hop artist Jason “Timbuktu” Diakité’s vivid and intimate journey through his own and his family’s history—from South Carolina slavery to twenty-first-century Sweden.

Born to interracial American parents in Sweden, Jason Diakité grew up between worlds—part Swedish, American, black, white, Cherokee, Slovak, and German, riding a delicate cultural and racial divide. It was a no-man’s-land that left him in constant search of self. Even after his hip-hop career took off, Jason fought to unify a complex system of family roots that branched across continents, ethnicities, classes, colors, and eras to find a sense of belonging.

In A Drop of Midnight, Jason draws on conversations with his parents, personal experiences, long-lost letters, and pilgrimages to South Carolina and New York to paint a vivid picture of race, discrimination, family, and ambition. His ancestors’ origins as slaves in the antebellum South, his parents’ struggles as an interracial couple, and his own world-expanding connection to hip-hop helped him fashion a strong black identity in Sweden.

What unfolds in Jason’s remarkable voyage of discovery is a complex and unflinching look at not only his own history but also that of generations affected by the trauma of the African diaspora, then and now.

A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains Book 1) by Victor Methos (Thriller)

From the bestselling author of The Neon Lawyer comes a gripping thriller about a prosecutor confronted with the darkest part of her past and the worst fears for her future…

Fourteen years ago, prosecutor Jessica Yardley’s husband went to prison for a series of brutal murders. She’s finally created a life with her daughter and is a well-respected attorney. She’s moving on. But when a new rash of homicides has her ex-husband, Eddie, written all over them—the nightmares of her past come back to life.

The FBI asks Jessica to get involved in the hunt for this copycat killer—which means visiting her ex and collaborating with the man who tore her life apart.

As the copycat’s motives become clearer, the new life Jessica created for herself gets darker. She must ask herself who she can trust and if she’s capable of stopping the killer—a man whose every crime is a bloody valentine from a twisted mastermind she’s afraid she may never escape.

This Terrible Beauty: A Novel by Katrin Schumann (Historical Fiction)

From the bestselling author of The Forgotten Hours comes an unforgettable story of one woman’s journey to reclaim what she lost in a country torn apart by the devastating legacy of WWII.

On the windswept shores of an East German island, Bettina Heilstrom struggles to build a life from the ashes. World War II has ended, and her country is torn apart. Longing for a family, she marries Werner, an older bureaucrat who adores her. But after joining the fledgling secret police, he is drawn deep into its dark mission and becomes a dangerous man.

When Bettina falls in love with an idealistic young renegade, Werner discovers her infidelity and forces her to make a terrible choice: spend her life in prison or leave her home forever. Either way she loses both her lover and child.

Ten years later, Bettina has reinvented herself as a celebrated photographer in Chicago, but she’s never stopped yearning for the baby she left behind. Surprised by an unexpected visitor from her past, she resolves to return to her ravaged homeland to reclaim her daughter and uncover her beloved’s fate, whatever the cost.

Hide Away (A Rachel Marin Thriller Book 1) by Jason Pinter (Mystery)

From the bestselling author of the Henry Parker series comes a page-turning thriller about a vigilante who’s desperate to protect her secrets—and bring a killer to justice.

On the surface, Rachel Marin is an ordinary single mother; on the inside, she’s a fierce, brilliant vigilante. After an unspeakable crime shatters her life, she changes her identity and moves to a small town in Illinois, hoping to spare her children from further trauma…or worse. But crime follows her everywhere.

When the former mayor winds up dead, Rachel can’t help but get involved. Where local detectives see suicide, she sees murder. They resent her for butting in—especially since she’s always one step ahead. But her investigative genius may be her undoing: the deeper she digs, the harder it is to keep her own secrets buried.

Her persistence makes her the target of both the cops and a killer. Meanwhile, the terrifying truth about her past threatens to come to light, and Rachel learns the hard way that she can’t trust anyone. Surrounded by danger, she must keep her steely resolve, protect her family, and stay one step ahead, or else she may become the next victim.

The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom Book 1) by Jeff Wheeler (Fantasy)

Survivor of a combat school, the orphaned Bingmei belongs to a band of mercenaries employed by a local ruler. Now the nobleman, and collector of rare artifacts, has entrusted Bingmei and the skilled team with a treacherous assignment: brave the wilderness’s dangers to retrieve the treasures of a lost palace buried in a glacier valley. But upsetting its tombs has a price.

Echion, emperor of the Grave Kingdom, ruler of darkness, Dragon of Night, has long been entombed. Now Bingmei has unwittingly awakened him and is answerable to a legendary prophecy. Destroying the dark lord before he reclaims the kingdoms of the living is her inherited mission. Killing Bingmei before she fulfills it is Echion’s.

Thrust unprepared into the role of savior, urged on by a renegade prince, and possessing a magic that is her destiny, Bingmei knows what she must do. But what must she risk to honor her ancestors? Bingmei’s fateful choice is one that neither her friends nor her enemies can foretell, as Echion’s dark war for control unfolds.

World So Wide by Alison McGhee (Author), Kate Alizadeh (Illustrator) (Childrens Picture Book)

Somewhere in the world
the world so far
the world so wide
someone is the youngest person alive.

What will be the first sights they see?
Sun and moon and sky…
the love in someone’s eye?

From the magic of a baby’s first sights and sounds to a wish for a far-off day, evocative text and gorgeous illustrations are imbued with the tenderness felt between parents and child. A perfect gift for new mothers and fathers and anyone who cherishes those unforgettable moments—or dreams of a time when their children will see their own little ones smile at them for the first time

Last edited by DrD123; 02-02-2020 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fixed one description
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #986
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
For me The Killing Fog. Not the first time Jeff Wheeler was picked for Kindle First. Got his book the last time as well.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #987
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
For me The Killing Fog. Not the first time Jeff Wheeler was picked for Kindle First. Got his book the last time as well.
I got that one too.
I also got " In An Instant " ( Contemporary fiction ) on my husbands account.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 AM   #988
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, Samsung GS7, Laptop, Desktop. RIP: Palms, NOOK Tablet, SGS4
I chose In An Instant, too.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #989
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There hasn't been anything even remotely interesting to me for months now - very glad to have something from a good author.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #990
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
There hasn't been anything even remotely interesting to me for months now - very glad to have something from a good author.
If this series of his is anything like his other ones, you will want to continue on with the next books.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote