Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Comics aren't meant for children, at least not if you mean the likes of Marvel or DC. Whereas The Hobbit is a children's book on the level of Alice in Wonderland. There is a difference.
I'm not considering wether it is children's book or an adult book; to me it looks like it could follow the original story fairly closely, and still be an appealing to all ages movie that would do very well at the box office.

FWIW, I reread The Hobbit recently, and enjoyed it much less than my previous read. Even so, I can imagine it would adapt very well to the screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Yes, they were bad movies. Peter Jackson milking the franchise for all he can.
Don't blame Petey for that. Poor guy accidentally changed the business model for movies. He struggled for years to get a studio to invest in producing two Lord of the Rings movies (originally, that was all he thought he could get).

When that became so successful and he wanted to follow-up with The Hobbit, the studio demanded it be expanded into a trilogy.

Now, one thing I do blame PJ for is needlessly amping up the action to cartoon levels. The mountain pass where the stone giants were fighting and the barrel ride both made me throw up my hands. They weren't just different from the book, they were ludicrous. Fat homebody Bilbo made Indiana Jones look like a wimp.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The animated version of the The Hobbit was much closer to the original book.
I'm also a fan of the animated Hobbit film.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sadly the Animated Hobbit only available in Ireland from North America, either in 480 line "NTSC" with English, or much better 576 line PAL (no 3:2 artefacts with interlace). Except the PAL version is dubbed into Spanish.
Or a pirate version in two parts on Dailymotion (kind of French originally version of YouTube). I'm only assuming the Dailymotion one is pirate.

Never seen it and always wanted to. I thought the Animated 1st part of LOTR (ends at Helm's Deep?) I saw in 1979 in Cinema was good. I have the PAL DVD of it now.

I can play any region. There isn't a PAL version sold in Australia or somewhere else?

I found the Jackson LOTR OK, though last episode not so good and some gratuitous changes re: Aragon and Women.
The Jackson Hobbit maybe OK if you'd never read LOTR or the Hobbit. Too much changed and stretched. One or two movies better. However I think "The Wheel of Time" should have been 4 to 6 books, though I like epic and long series, so maybe I'm wrong about the Hobbit 3 part movie.
I liked the Studio Ghibi take on Wyne-Jones's Howl's Moving Castle, I've the book, so interesting there is a connection to the Animated Hobbit.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Sadly the Animated Hobbit only available in Ireland from North America...

Never seen it and always wanted to. I thought the Animated 1st part of LOTR (ends at Helm's Deep?) I saw in 1979 in Cinema was good.
The animated Hobbit is completely unrelated to the animated Lord of the Rings.

The Hobbit (and later, The Return of the King) were animated TV specials done by Rankin Bass. The Lord of the Rings was a feature film by Ralph Bakshi (of Fritz the Cat, Fire and Ice and American Pop fame).

I haven't researched it in a while, but the Bakshi film was supposed to have a sequel, though for various reasons, it was never made. So Rankin Bass did The Return of the King.

If you've ever seen the animated The Last Unicorn or Flight of Dragons, they are very similar in style to the animated Hobbit and Return of the King. All were done by the same people: Rankin Bass and Topcraft (later Studio Ghibli).
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The animated Hobbit is completely unrelated to the animated Lord of the Rings.

The Hobbit (and later, The Return of the King) were animated TV specials done by Rankin Bass. The Lord of the Rings was a feature film by Ralph Bakshi
Yes, I knew that. I was just remarking that Animation isn't inherently poorer than Live action. I was disappointed that Part II wasn't made. I suspect Disney live action remakes were just exploiting the animated titles (Jungle Book, Dumbo, Beauty & Beast and Lion King). I'm not sure about re-watching the Jackson LOTR, but may re-watch the 1/2 story of the animated one. I have both. Read the books 1st in late 1960s. Time to read yet again soon. My TBR pile of unread is though about 3 years high.

Quote:
If you've ever seen the animated The Last Unicorn ... [clipped] ... Rankin Bass and Topcraft (later Studio Ghibli).
Yes and have the book. Excellent. Yes, I read about Topcraft and Ghibli.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Sadly the Animated Hobbit only available in Ireland from North America, either in 480 line "NTSC" with English, or much better 576 line PAL (no 3:2 artefacts with interlace). Except the PAL version is dubbed into Spanish.
Or a pirate version in two parts on Dailymotion (kind of French originally version of YouTube). I'm only assuming the Dailymotion one is pirate.

Never seen it and always wanted to. I thought the Animated 1st part of LOTR (ends at Helm's Deep?) I saw in 1979 in Cinema was good. I have the PAL DVD of it now.

I can play any region. There isn't a PAL version sold in Australia or somewhere else?

I found the Jackson LOTR OK, though last episode not so good and some gratuitous changes re: Aragon and Women.
The Jackson Hobbit maybe OK if you'd never read LOTR or the Hobbit. Too much changed and stretched. One or two movies better. However I think "The Wheel of Time" should have been 4 to 6 books, though I like epic and long series, so maybe I'm wrong about the Hobbit 3 part movie.
I liked the Studio Ghibi take on Wyne-Jones's Howl's Moving Castle, I've the book, so interesting there is a connection to the Animated Hobbit.
It's actually available on Amazon Prime Video in the US, $3 to rent, $7 to buy. It's on Apple TV as well for the same prices. An hour and 18 minutes long.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
...I suspect Disney live action remakes were just exploiting the animated titles (Jungle Book, Dumbo, Beauty & Beast and Lion King).
This is now a derail of a derail, but those Disney remakes are just the most cynical new money for old rope cash grabs.

I've been fortunate enough to avoid all but a few (Maleficent, Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book).

Aside from Maleficent and the two Tim Burton ones, the remakes seem to follow the originals so closely that there is scant reason to even bother. And The Jungle Book and The Lion King don't even count as live action. And who thought replacing Robin Williams with Will Smith was a good idea?
Old 01-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's actually available on Amazon Prime Video in the US, $3 to rent, $7 to buy. It's on Apple TV as well for the same prices. An hour and 18 minutes long.
Which is useless in Ireland and without a sub. I can buy a NTSC version from Amazon Global. Works out near $18 inc. shipping and is ONLY NTSC. The difference between PAL (576 lines and no pull down artefacts) and NTSC 480 lines is amazing on DVD. Most "from movie" transfers are progressive on the DVD, so with an HD player, BluRay HDMI or DVD wiith Component you can avoid the comb artefacts that spoil film to NTSC transfers (3:2 pull down). Sadly I've bought region 1 DVDs of movies to discover the content is interlaced NTSC from a video source and not encoded from a scan of the film. This why the USA had component video progressive DVD players and in PAL regions that was almost unknown.

So I only buy region 1 DVDs if I have proof they are from Film and not Video tape masters and only if no PAL region, usually 2 or 4, (even at ANY price) is available.

I might take a risk on the NTSC version from Amazon Global, but it will look rubbish if it's a video tape source transfer (even if 2" tape). Pity I don't speak Spanish, for the PAL version from USA (I wonder where that's for?)
Maybe the Spanish one is for Argentina as Brasil is Portuguese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_re...NTSC-SECAM.svg

480 interlaced with 3:2 artefacts to 720p is a big improvement. The 576 PAL to 720p (BD or broadcast) isn't much improvement at all if a good DVD, hence almost no HD broadcasts are 720, the 1080 is the norm, even on all our local off air Irish TV channels via an aerial. HD DVDs were never a thing here either.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Which is useless in Ireland and without a sub. I can buy a NTSC version from Amazon Global. Works out near $18 inc. shipping and is ONLY NTSC. The difference between PAL (576 lines and no pull down artefacts) and NTSC 480 lines is amazing on DVD. Most "from movie" transfers are progressive on the DVD, so with an HD player, BluRay HDMI or DVD wiith Component you can avoid the comb artefacts that spoil film to NTSC transfers (3:2 pull down). Sadly I've bought region 1 DVDs of movies to discover the content is interlaced NTSC from a video source and not encoded from a scan of the film. This why the USA had component video progressive DVD players and in PAL regions that was almost unknown.

So I only buy region 1 DVDs if I have proof they are from Film and not Video tape masters and only if no PAL region, usually 2 or 4, (even at ANY price) is available.

I might take a risk on the NTSC version from Amazon Global, but it will look rubbish if it's a video tape source transfer (even if 2" tape). Pity I don't speak Spanish, for the PAL version from USA (I wonder where that's for?)
Maybe the Spanish one is for Argentina as Brasil is Portuguese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_re...NTSC-SECAM.svg

480 interlaced with 3:2 artefacts to 720p is a big improvement. The 576 PAL to 720p (BD or broadcast) isn't much improvement at all if a good DVD, hence almost no HD broadcasts are 720, the 1080 is the norm, even on all our local off air Irish TV channels via an aerial. HD DVDs were never a thing here either.
There are ways to make it work, but hey, I'm just pointing out that it's there. If you don't want to make the effort, no skin off my nose.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Watching the three Hobbit movies and still being willing to give the books a try is an amazing feat. I loved the Lord of the Rings movies and am a Peter Jackson fan in general (since he did Brain Dead/DeadAlive). Also, the Hobbit is my favorite book.

But those Hobbit movies were awful. I imagine it was the studio wanting another trilogy, but there is too much padding and simple scenes from the book were turned into extended action sequences.
I have just completed listening to The Hobbit audio book. It had been so many years since I read it, I didn't realize how different the movies were. However, I found it an entertaining companion, and especially loved the dragon and inside the Lonely Mountain scenes. Being able to see the abandoned dwarf home and all the treasure, was spectacular.

This weekend, we'll start watching my collection of the extended versions of the three LOTR movies. It's going to blow my daughter away. She is already planning to read the books, as well.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote