Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
This seems like a good thing. I thought that everyone agreed that competition is good. And from what is said here, they seem to imply that they can't get the system on the Kindle, because Amazon signed up with OverDrive:

Quote:
They would be readable on the iPad, iPhone, Barnes and Noble's Nook, laptop and desktop computers, and Android devices, among other equipment. Notably, the list does not currently include the bestselling ereader, Amazon's Kindle; OverDrive and Amazon recently announced that OverDrive titles will be readable on Kindles later this year.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's a non-starter. The day my library adopts any system that requires my physical presence to check out an ebook, is the day I start voting against their funding.
Option <> requirement. Lendable device will be good for people who don't have an ereader.

A library is supposed to serve everyone, not just people who can afford gadgets.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
... they seem to imply that they can't get the system on the Kindle, because Amazon signed up with OverDrive:
No such excuse for epub readers, though.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Option <> requirement. Lendable device will be good for people who don't have an ereader.

A library is supposed to serve everyone, not just people who can afford gadgets.
I don't have a problem with loaning out ereaders. I do have a problem if the downloads must be done at the library. There must always be an online option; if not, I'll start voting their dollars away.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #20
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
No such excuse for epub readers, though.
Are you sure that we won't be able to?

From the same source as my previous quote:
Quote:
The ebooks available under the 3M system would follow the one book/one user model, and use the EPUB format as well as Adobe digital rights management (DRM), as OverDrive's ebooks do.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
I don't have a problem with loaning out ereaders. I do have a problem if the downloads must be done at the library. There must always be an online option; if not, I'll start voting their dollars away.
What makes you think that the download must be done at the library?
From the OP:
Quote:
Yesterday, the company announced a new Cloud Library e-book lending service that will allow users to browse and borrow digital books directly from their iPads, Nooks and Android-based tablets.
They say that they also set up a downloading station at the library.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
From the press release:

"Patrons can read and check-out at home or on the go. eBooks are compatible with PCs, Macs, iPads, Nooks, Androids and 3M eReaders. Patrons can browse the digital bookshelf from anywhere or use Discovery Terminal download stations in the library."

I did misunderstand the role of the Terminal. But they are clearly not forcing anyone to buy a whole new device.

I take it I'm the only one who actually reads linked articles, then?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you sure that we won't be able to?
No, how can anybody be at this point?

Earlier in the thread it was claims that books will be "compatible with PCs, Macs, iPads, Nooks, Androids and 3M eReaders". No mention of other, dedicated reading devices, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's just an omission in the sales copy.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
No, how can anybody be at this point?
Does Overdrive work on Pocketbook? I haven't tried it myself, but by what they are saying, it looks like if Overdrive works, so will 3M.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #25
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Does Overdrive work on Pocketbook?
Sure, Overdrive uses mainly just standard (if DRM'ed) epubs these days. Any reader with ADE support can use them.

Quote:
I haven't tried it myself, but by what they are saying, it looks like if Overdrive works, so will 3M.
Well, let's wait and see.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Requiring a new, unique ereader would be a non-starter. Tablet computers only would be sad, too. It really has to work with the single best device for reading...the e-ink, dedicated readers people already own...or I don't think it's worth much.
Single best device for reading...That's not a K3. That's not a Kobo. So what could it be....Sony perhaps?

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-24-2011 at 10:41 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
From the press release:

"Patrons can read and check-out at home or on the go. eBooks are compatible with PCs, Macs, iPads, Nooks, Androids and 3M eReaders. Patrons can browse the digital bookshelf from anywhere or use Discovery Terminal download stations in the library."

I did misunderstand the role of the Terminal. But they are clearly not forcing anyone to buy a whole new device.

I take it I'm the only one who actually reads linked articles, then?
These eBooks are not compatible with ADE on my Sony reader. So that makes these eBooks useless to me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These eBooks are not compatible with ADE on my Sony reader. So that makes these eBooks useless to me.
See, now that is a much more rationally expressed objection.

I might add that the Kindle is my primary device and is excluded. However, in general I view increased competition as positive, despite the fact that it does not benefit me personally any time soon.

At this time, the licensing and DRM are not specified. If it works on the Nook, though, it is entirely plausible that it will work on a Sony device at some point. Depending, of course, on the level of library patron demand.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #29
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Imagine, just like a real book! In case you were unclear about the concept: one, if not the chief advantage of ebooks from a library is that I no longer need to go there in person, driving there, dealing with limited opening hours etc. Take that away and it loses much of its appeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
The chance that I'll drive to the library to check out an ebook is exactly zero.
Quote:
That's a non-starter. The day my library adopts any system that requires my physical presence to check out an ebook, is the day I start voting against their funding.

wow. this is not "requiring" anyone to do anything. the announcement already mentions various operating systems it will be available for etc. you don't have to drive to the library , you dont have to be physically in the library to check out an ebook. it says that right in the presser.

BUT it gives those options to the library in the form of a kiosk. The readers will be available to borrow. If someone is already there and they want to have a go at this ebook thing they see options right there to try. how is that bad?

as for why a library would go with this system? it seems many libraries already use 3m systems. having this dropped in and integrated from the get go with their existing systems seems like a good deal. especially if that particular library isnt already lending ebooks. its probably cheaper than Overdrive as well.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 05-24-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #30
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
See, now that is a much more rationally expressed objection.

At this time, the licensing and DRM are not specified.
link

Quote:
The ebooks available under the 3M system would follow the one book/one user model, and use the EPUB format as well as Adobe digital rights management (DRM), as OverDrive's ebooks do.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote