Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
New Aura One - setup?

I have not received my Aura One yet but I have read the manual. Do I need to set it up over Wi-Fi? What I mean is there an important reason to set it up or can I skip that step? Some sort of registration?

I apparently can do updates by downloading the firmware.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 02-17-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typos
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I have not received my Aura One yet but I have red the manual. Do I need to set it up over Wi-Fi? What I mean is the an important reason to set it up or can I skip that step? Some sort of registration?

I apparently can do updates by downloading the firmware.
--MH
You can use WiFi or the Kobo Desktop application on Mac or Windows to set up your new ereader. While you can play with the database to enter user information and bypass registration, I personally prefer to use a throwaway email address to register when I am testing on a device. So far, it seems that Kobo does little checking to see if an email address is valid -- ima.pseudonym@somewheres.org is not going to pass many tests. A couple of gmail/hotmail addresses have only received emails from Kobo about book offers, etc. with no spam suggesting any resale of the address.

Another reason for registering is that using an email address/password makes it easier to purchase ebooks from Kobo from your ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
kobook
kobook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While you can play with the database
How? What can be done with the database?
kobook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobook View Post
How? What can be done with the database?
You can do a search in this forum for information on modifying the database. Personally, my opinion is if you don't have some database skills, its not a good idea.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
kobook
kobook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, PW3
No risk, no fun. Time to learn.
kobook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Just a thought - wouldn't you need to register with Kobo to use the Overdrive feature on the KA1? It uses the Kobo bookstore to supply the loans.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkh View Post
Just a thought - wouldn't you need to register with Kobo to use the Overdrive feature on the KA1? It uses the Kobo bookstore to supply the loans.
That is where the faked email address comes in. Most of the people who seem to want to bypass registration entirely are only interested in sideloading ebooks. I suspect that they are trying to avoid leaving any more digital footprints than they absolutely need to.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobook View Post
No risk, no fun. Time to learn.
Good luck. May you live in interesting times.

Remember to backup the database so you can restore it when things go very wrong.