Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Annouss
Annouss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Any way to setup wifi (And/or Pocket account) for Kobo Aura from Calibre plz ?

Hi,

Some keys on the keyboard of my Kobo Aura do not work anymore.
The keys are on the same column : '8', 'i', 'k', '@' and '<-' in the french keyboard.
Same happens for the other languages for the corresponding column.

This is very problematic to enter the password for my wifi network.
So is there any way to setup the wifi for my Kobo Aura from Calibre for Mac ?

Thank you for your help.
Annouss.

Last edited by Annouss; 05-01-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Annouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry; no way at all.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annouss View Post
Hi,

The keys are on the same column : '8', 'i', 'k', '@' and '<-' in the french keyboard.

I had a similar problem with an old Dell laptop. The solution was to change the password. Which for a WiFi password means that it has to change on all the other devices as well.

Is this only in the keyboard? Or is that section of the screen always dead? And does it extend to the top of the screen?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
Annouss

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a similar problem with an old Dell laptop. The solution was to change the password. Which for a WiFi password means that it has to change on all the other devices as well.
Already done that. But had a problem to setup my Pocket Account. Even if I wanted to create another account, the '@' key is on the non-responding column.

Quote:
Is this only in the keyboard? Or is that section of the screen always dead? And does it extend to the top of the screen?
Difficult to know because it's quite narrow so even for turning the page, it works and no way to know if I hit the problematic section or not.
But it's the same section for every keyboard.

Another question: is it possible to setup the pocket account from Calibre ?

Annouss

PS: Sorry to the mods because I put this thread in the wrong forum
Old 05-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Annouss

Thx
Advert
Old 05-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Annouss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sorry; no way at all.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Already done that. But had a problem to setup my Pocket Account. Even if I wanted to create another account, the '@' key is on the non-responding column.

Difficult to know because it's quite narrow so even for turning the page, it works and no way to know if I hit the problematic section or not.
But it's the same section for every keyboard.
It sounds like the sensors are dead in that area. Have you considered opening it and checking the cables are attached properly?

[QUOTE
Another question: is it possible to setup the pocket account from Calibre ?
[/QUOTE]

The Pocket settings are stored in the config file. They look like:
Code:
[Pocket]
AccessToken=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx
LastSync=1449149021
UnsyncedUrls=@Invalid()
Username=username
The "AccessToken" looks to be a GUID. I assume it is generated by Pocket when you login. I have just tried with no value for this, and it prompted me to setup the account. I was hoping it would keep the user name, but it didn't.

I think you are stuck unless you have backup of the config file with this. Or, you can borrow someone else's device, login and copy the files. I don't know if that will work as the token might be device specific.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Please direct your questions to the Kobo forum, calibre is not and will never be a program designed to configure your $RandomDevice.

Just because a kobo expert is also a calibre expert and happens to have been here to see your question, does not mean this is where you should be having this discussion.

EDIT: It appears the thread has been moved to the Kobo forum.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-02-2016 at 02:25 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
You can set a network (including your password) by editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. This is however not completely trivial. You can also set networks with KSM 8. There is however a restriction of the possible characters used in the network name and in the password (only English letters and the numbers).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would be looking at fixing the touchscreen. With a narrow vertical strip being unresponsive. I would suspect something at the top or bottom of the affected area of the screen is blocking an IR beam - except that the 6" Aura uses a different (capacitance) touchscreen technology. With your Aura, David's long shot "poor connection" idea, is the only remaining action that the user might be able to use to effect a repair.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your help.
Annouss.
If you are not needing to input these special characters all the time, what I would do is , type these characters (e.g. the Wi-Fi password) you need in a txt file, then import to the kobo by calibre, then copy and paste when you need these characters. Not sure it is workable or not. But worth a try if there is no other ways yet.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
Annouss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
... copy and paste when you need these characters. Not sure it is workable or not. But worth a try if there is no other ways yet.
Thought of that but we can't copy/paste in Kobo Aura, can we ?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
Annouss

Quote:
I think you are stuck unless you have backup of the config file with this. Or, you can borrow someone else's device, login and copy the files. I don't know if that will work as the token might be device specific.
Yup, pretty much stuck.
Thans for helping anyway .
Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
Annouss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You can set a network (including your password) by editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. This is however not completely trivial. You can also set networks with KSM 8. There is however a restriction of the possible characters used in the network name and in the password (only English letters and the numbers).
I did not know this KSM piece. I will be giving it a try.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is possible to patch the firmware to change the keyboard, such as replacing some letters on the extended keypad.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote