Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #361
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Caudex has been updated to version 1.06. This version includes fixes to the PANOSE profile and TTF names that prevented the previous version 1.05 from working properly with the KePub reader.
Thank you for the info. I gather that the maintainer applied your corrections, but did he correct the high hyphen thing? If not, I'll keep your "Caudey" adjusted version.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:49 AM   #362
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Caudex has been updated to version 1.06. This version includes fixes to the PANOSE profile and TTF names that prevented the previous version 1.05 from working properly with the KePub reader.
Thanks!
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 AM   #363
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Thank you for the info. I gather that the maintainer applied your corrections, but did he correct the high hyphen thing? If not, I'll keep your "Caudey" adjusted version.
Caudex 1.06 has the corrections for the problems that made the KePub reader select the wrong font styles, and also a minor adjustment to the kerning that made the space too small after a word ending with a single right quote (most noticable in books with British-style punctuation.)

But the high hyphen isn't really a fault with the font, so it wasn't changed. I've edited my post #346 to add an alternative version based on Caudex 1.06 but with the hyphen-minus replaced by a hyphen.

The real problem is that the hyhen-minus is a character that is supposed to be usable as both a hyphen and a minus sign, but in practice the height of these two characters are not always compatible (minus should match plus, while hyphen should match en-dash, em-dash, etc.) so I think the font just has to choose between making the minus sign too low or the hyphen too high. The real solution would be for publishers to avoid using hyphen-minus as a hyphen, but I doubt that will ever happen.

From my own point of view it is better to make hyphen-minus to be a hyphen, because the books I read have thousands of hyhens (when including automatic hyphens added to break lines) and often no minus signs at all.

One new thing I discovered is that the automatic hyphens added by the KePub reader are hyphen, while the ones added by the ePub reader are hyphen-minus. That means that in a font like this where the hyphen-minus is a minus sign, the automatic hyphens in KePub will look different to the hard hyphens used by the publisher, but in the ePub reader they will look the same. With the alt-hyphen font they will look the same in both KePub and ePub.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #364
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One new thing I discovered is that the automatic hyphens added by the KePub reader are hyphen, while the ones added by the ePub reader are hyphen-minus. That means that in a font like this where the hyphen-minus is a minus sign, the automatic hyphens in KePub will look different to the hard hyphens used by the publisher, but in the ePub reader they will look the same. With the alt-hyphen font they will look the same in both KePub and ePub.
Interesting, so it sounds like in theory the ACCESS (kepub) engine is more typographically correct than the RMSDK (epub) engine?

OpenType fonts can support "alternate" characters within the font - for example numerals might come in monospaced and proportional versions - and I wonder if that's a good way to include your adjusted hyphen? Adobe documents how to access these alternates in some CSS engines at https://helpx.adobe.com/typekit/usin...ntax.html#salt but whether these work in ACCESS/RMSDK is another question.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #365
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Caudex 1.07 update

Caudex has been updated to version 1.07. This version has a new hyphen-minus glyph that sits at the same height as a hyphen but with spacing like a minus sign. This seems like a good compromise.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #366
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question fonts and line spacing

I've just started to read Denise Bosler's "Mastering Type", which I of course set to Default font, and I liked it. I saw from the files that it is Charis SIL, which I abandoned some time ago because when I selected it, it generated wide line spacing.

I compared my ttf files to those in Bosler's book, and they have the exact same weight in ko (much bigger than all the other fonts I have), so I assume they are identical.

Why do they act differently? Is there some (simple) way to correct that behavior for all books? I read only kepubs, F/W 3.15.0.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #367
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Could you send the font files? I will check the differences.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #368
anacreon
Guru

font files

Here are the files.
Thank you, anacreon
Attached Files
File Type: zip fonts.zip (2.82 MB, 651 views)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #369
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The files are same. Completely same. Your must have fixed line spacings in the CSS.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #370
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
The files are same. Completely same. Your must have fixed line spacings in the CSS.
Thank you for confirming the files are identical. As for the CSS, I have line height at 1.2, but that is for ALL books, and it is only with Charis SIL that there is the wide line spacing. I had eliminated it from my lists, on both Aura H2O and Glo HD, but I was surprised that the native Charis SIL on Bosler's "Mastering Type" didn't have the same effect.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #371
GERGE
Guru

http://scripts.sil.org/ttw/fonts2go.cgi

You can download Charis with custom line spacing from here.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #372
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
http://scripts.sil.org/ttw/fonts2go.cgi

You can download Charis with custom line spacing from here.
Perfect! Now in the book produced with Charis SIL, the thin line spacing produces the same result as the original, BUT I can thicken/thin the font itself thanks to Geoff's tweak, AND I can use Charis in any book.

Thank you very much.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #373
chrisridd
Guru

I was trying out Bookerly and Ember on my Kobo yesterday* and encountered the known issues with the PANOSE weights and letterforms being "wrong" and confusing the ACCESS engine.

I ended up just deleting the entire PANOSE settings using fontforge - which made ACCESS happy - but wondered if anyone has worked out what the ACCESS engine is actually looking for in these fields? The values in the fonts did look reasonable although I'm not a typographer.

(* copyright Amazon, I'm not sharing them or information about where to get them from.)
Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #374
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
To be honest, while I'm no expert, I'm leaning towards the conclusion that Qt is the main issue with font problems. Qt + non-system fonts = pain.

Some here may remember last year I created a script to modify font files for our Kobos. Over the summer, I worked at slapping a GUI on top, and after a while after playing with wxPython and Tkinter, I settled on learning the basics of PyQt.

Well, I have a mostly working GUI, however there is one problem...

I wanted to be able to offer a preview of what the font changes look like, however I still have not managed to get it working. To put it simply, Qt font handling is downright weird, especially once you start adding the various styles for one font.

I bring this up, because I'm pretty sure that Nickel uses Qt (please correct me if I'm wrong!), and I would in no way be surprised if ACCESS also uses Qt (on the Kobo at least - I assume the underlying engine is not tied to any specific UI toolkit)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #375
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I bring this up, because I'm pretty sure that Nickel uses Qt (please correct me if I'm wrong!), and I would in no way be surprised if ACCESS also uses Qt (on the Kobo at least - I assume the underlying engine is not tied to any specific UI toolkit)
libnickel.so.1.0.0 depends on a lot of libQt5:
  • libssl.so.1.0.0
  • libcrypto.so.1.0.0
  • libQtSolutions_IOCompressor-2.3.so.1
  • libzip.so.1
  • libxml2.so.2
  • libxslt.so.1
  • liblz4.so.1
  • librmsdk.so.1
  • libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5
  • libQt5MultimediaWidgets.so.5
  • libQt5Svg.so.5
  • libQt5PrintSupport.so.5
  • libQt5Multimedia.so.5
  • libQt5WebKit.so.5
  • libQt5Widgets.so.5
  • libQt5Concurrent.so.5
  • libQt5Sensors.so.5
  • libQt5Xml.so.5
  • libQt5Sql.so.5
  • libQt5DBus.so.5
  • libQt5Script.so.5
  • libQt5Network.so.5
  • libQt5Gui.so.5
  • libQt5Core.so.5
  • libpng16.so.16
  • libjpeg.so.62
  • libicuuc.so.46
  • libicudata.so.46
  • libicui18n.so.46
  • libdbus-1.so.3
  • libdl.so.2
  • librt.so.1
  • libz.so.1
  • libpthread.so.0
  • libstdc++.so.6
  • libm.so.6
  • libgcc_s.so.1
  • libc.so.6
  • ld-linux-armhf.so.3

Nothing else font-ish stands out - except librmsdk? - so I think your assumption is good.