Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #211
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I wasn't - no need to look further. That is; I am not reading the book of the month, but I were going to read it, if it was selected. Clear?
No, but I'm slow, so don't worry about it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #212
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
... I think those who aren't probably wouldn't have read the books anyway. ...
I didn't vote for last month's selection, but I read it, and I would have read this month's selection. I just think that splitting things up defeats the purpose of the club.

I'm not mad at anyone, I just don't see the purpose of participating this month the way things were handled. I love you all, I think pilotbob does an otherwise stellar job (I just disagree with this particular decision), and I'll see you all next month!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #213
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
A number of posters have been talking about talking about Darwin. I'm interested too, so I started a thread.

This is not a mutiny. I think pilotbob is doing a fine job, and I expect to participate in at least one of the club discussions.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #214
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
I secretly wished "On the Origin of Species" could have won, so I think I'm going to read that instead, now the voting petered out like this (*) Anyone care to join me? (I remember there were a few who were interested) I really want to read it anyway, but I needed a push.

(*) Lene, how would you translate "en fuser" from danish?
I'm not sure... but if you try and put it in a sentence I'll try... Danish sentence...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #215
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
A number of posters have been talking about talking about Darwin. I'm interested too, so I started a thread.

This is not a mutiny. I think pilotbob is doing a fine job, and I expect to participate in at least one of the club discussions.

Not a mutiny, just Evolution, right?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #216
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
I secretly wished "On the Origin of Species" could have won, so I think I'm going to read that instead, now the voting petered out like this (*) Anyone care to join me? (I remember there were a few who were interested) I really want to read it anyway, but I needed a push.

(*) Lene, how would you translate "en fuser" from danish?
'A fizzer'
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #217
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Got into White City last night and for those of you hesitating, echoing LilacJiv, it is very, very good.

History, architecture and to my mind Larson is really good w/character definition.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #218
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Already know my nomination for next month - Jeremy Clarkson anyone?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #219
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
LOL . Totally agree, but do our American friends know who Jeremy Clarkson is, do you think?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #220
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LOL . Totally agree, but do our American friends know who Jeremy Clarkson is, do you think?

No idea....

Oh that guy!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #221
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well he's probably commented on them often enough and there were those two Top Gear trips stateside, the ones where they were chased out of Alabama and picked up a cow as road kill
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #222
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
What's the topic for next month?
(I know who Jeremy Clarkson is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bvUIbKlkk )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #223
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
What's the topic for next month?
(I know who Jeremy Clarkson is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bvUIbKlkk )
Next month is humour I think.

Can't stand Clarkson myself.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #224
kennyc

Isn't there a monthly topic list somewhere? I did a brief scan, but didn't find it...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #225
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Isn't there a monthly topic list somewhere? I did a brief scan, but didn't find it...
Look at the last message here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/gro...iscussionid=15

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote