Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The vote should be up within a half day or so; until then the nominations will remain open.

The other book I was deciding between for my last nomination was The Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn which is an historical classic about Brian Boru, the Irish king who united the entire isle during a barbaric but golden era in the 10th century and helped fend off the Vikings (my description here liberally takes from the Goodreads description). There is a lot of legend and hefty doses of fiction but it is based on the real man.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Well that settles it! I couldn't decide between three for my last nomination, and one of them was Frank Delaney's Ireland so now that one's out of consideration at least.
I wanted to nominate Ireland. One of my English friends recommended it. However, it’s quite long and also seemed to have limited availability in ebook format globally. So, I decided to stick with the author choice and select one of his other books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The length was also what was giving me pause on it. Tipperary looks just as interesting though.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are complete and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has EIGHT votes to use.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
The Mabinogion was on my tablet waiting to be read in the near future, Frank Delaney's Ireland novels were already in my sights for reading sometime soon and ...Huckleberry Finn I have been trying to get back to (for the third or forth time ) so they are easy picks for me. Kintu looks interesting and well regarded so:

2 - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
2 - Tipperary
2 - The Mabinogion
2 - Kinto
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will start with these votes.

Tipperary - 1
I Heard the Owl Call My Name - 1
Kintu - 1
The Mabinogion - 1
The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich - 1
Old 11-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It's a great selection and as usual I'll be happy with any of them winning. The range of years is really diverse, but it's interesting that two were written two years apart (2005 & 2007), two one year apart (1967 & 1968), and two the same year (1884). Anyway, my votes are one each for:

-The Mabinogion
-Tipperary
-I Heard the Owl Call My Name
-Kintu
-At the Sign of the Cat and Racket
-Ramona
-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
-The Painted Drum
Old 11-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #23
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'll toss in for

Momaday
Erdich
Makumbi
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'll toss in for

Momaday
Erdich
Makumbi
Do you want to give one or two votes to each of these?
Old 11-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Do you want to give one or two votes to each of these?
Two. Sorry, I forget we do numbers.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:28 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

No problem!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is complete and the winner is Kintu!

I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Sound good! I just borrowed the book from the library. I think in this case I might read the introduction first in order to understand more about Uganda.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:10 AM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

This is a bit longer one so I’m going to try to get cracking on it soon. On quick glance it seems there is no audiobook so, after so many months of listening to our selections on audio, this may be the second month in a row I’m reading the ebook instead.