Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #1
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question Calibre Converting Fine - But what if I Reset my Desktop Comuter?

Hi I have used Calibre for years and it has never let me down
I have over 3,000 books and couldn't manage without it.

I am thinking or reformatting my windows 10 pc, as it is slowing up, and I cant get a new one (done it with all other windows versions I have had, but a bit nervous about windows 10)

But I am all set up in calibre with Alf & Kindle conversion working well.

My problem is, if i wipe my pc..how do I get calibre back to converting with alf & the correct kindle for pc app again?

I did it years ago and cant remember now

Whats my best option?
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
simple.
1. backup the calibre library
2. back up the calibre config file ( appdata)

put those onto new PC, install calibre - all good.
I have done it several times, migrating to different hardware

this is also covered in much detail in many other threads, if you search
the backup-restore of config folder will preserve alf & all other plugin settings
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Thanks stumped
It will remember all my columns and coloured columns and even Alf?

And also let me install the earlier Kindle for PC version?

I have never had any problem with converting, must be one of the lucky ones....so would hate to spoil it.
1. backup the calibre library
2. back up the calibre config file ( appdata)…. Where do I find these?

Ps Is Windows 10 just as easy to reformat as Windows 7 was earlier?
I am older now.

Last edited by Jo69; 04-03-2020 at 05:38 AM.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Thanks stumped
It will remember all my columns and coloured columns and even Alf?

And also let me install the earlier Kindle for PC version?

I have never had any problem with converting, must be one of the lucky ones....so would hate to spoil it

Ps Is Windows 10 just as easy to reformat as Windows 7 was earlier?
I am older now.
colunms, alf... is all in the calibre config folder, in appdata/roaming
( in windows, appdata is a hidden folder so you may have to tweak folder options to see it ).
once you find it, copy it like any other folder and remember where it goes, so you can put it back into the same location

windows 10 is much easier and quicker than windows 7 to reformat
if its still working you can just go to settings and select reset my pc...
if not, you can download a free installer from microsoft, to a USB stick, and boot from that

Kindle for PC is separate from calibre, you will need an installer, for old version 1.17 ideally, then you disable updates as soon as you open it.
they are not too hard to find. ask again here if google cannot locate one for you
( you only need the old version if you want to make it easy to move books from K for PC into calibre )
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Columns are part EACH Library DB (along with any Library Specific data)
The config folder has all the Per USER Calibre Installation stuff (Alf, PI...)

If you use the Export/Import item on the Library Icon, it will grab ALL known Libraries and the User config. (you may need a good sized external drive as it has to hold all the folders)

You use IMPORT, NOT Add to restore into an empty Library (it replaces the targets). Install Calibre, THEN do the Import before anything else.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

to OP.
you can do it the #5 way, or the #2 way. just don't try mixing them

with either approach, you still have to separately deal with KINDLE for PC
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Hi I have used Calibre for years and it has never let me down
I have over 3,000 books and couldn't manage without it.

I am thinking or reformatting my windows 10 pc, as it is slowing up, and I cant get a new one (done it with all other windows versions I have had, but a bit nervous about windows 10)

But I am all set up in calibre with Alf & Kindle conversion working well.

My problem is, if i wipe my pc..how do I get calibre back to converting with alf & the correct kindle for pc app again?

I did it years ago and cant remember now

Whats my best option?
1. See the calibre FAQ How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

2, Do a clean install of windows with you computer disconnected from the internet---Highly recommend!!!!

Quote:
Windows 10 Home now forces you to sign in with a Microsoft account—unless you disconnect from the internet first. Microsoft has always wanted you to sign in with a Microsoft account, but now it’s going even further.

The option to sign in with a classic local Windows account was always rather hidden behind an “Offline Account” option. Now, we’ve confirmed that it’s vanished entirely from Windows 10’s setup process.
See:

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/con...ount-creation/

https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how...up-windows-10/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
2, Do a clean install of windows with you computer disconnected from the internet---Highly recommend!!!!

See:

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/con...ount-creation/

https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how...up-windows-10/

bernie
What's wrong with signing in with your MS account? I've done that on all my PCs and tablets for the last 10 years, at least. Never a problem. Why would I need a local account if I'm the only user?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

re #7- that should not affect using "reset my PC"
also, its generally a really bad idea to do the install offline - you want windows to get latest updates and apply them as part of the install, and you want it to configure your internet access. it can't do that if it can't see it. I will be amazed if there is no current workaround for the use microsoft account bit...
... says here https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/con...ount-creation/
you just accept use microsoft account , then do the " changed my mind bit" later...
You might click “Learn More” to find more information about the account creation process. If you do, Windows 10’s Setup says this is how you can avoid signing in with a Microsoft account:

If you’d prefer not to have a Microsoft account associated with your device, you can remove it. Finish going through Windows setup, then select the Start button and go to Settings > Accounts > Your info and select Sign in with a local account instead.

That’s right—if you don’t want a Microsoft account, Microsoft says you need to sign in with one anyway and then remove it later.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why would I need a local account if I'm the only user?
E.G. because you don't want to have to type a password every time you start your OWN PC IN YOUR BEDROOM

I can just press the power button, go get a coffee and when I return I am in my windows desktop - can you do that with a microsoft account ?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
E.G. because you don't want to have to type a password every time you start your OWN PC IN YOUR BEDROOM

I can just press the power button, go get a coffee and when I return I am in my windows desktop - can you do that with a microsoft account ?
Not if you shut down your PC every day, of course. But I keep mine asleep or hibernating most of the time and only shut them down when I leave home for several days, which is rare. You can disable signing in every time you're away from your device or your PC falls asleep (that's what I did with my older devices). My newest PC uses face recognition and that takes a second, perhaps, so no need to disable anything. One of my laptops used a fingerprint sign-in, but failed consistently to recognize me, so I disabled it. There are many different options with Windows 10 these days.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
What's wrong with signing in with your MS account? I've done that on all my PCs and tablets for the last 10 years, at least. Never a problem. Why would I need a local account if I'm the only user?
1 Security
2 Privacy
3 For when you have no internet.

Main reason your computer does not have to "phone home" in order to let you use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
re #7- that should not affect using "reset my PC"
also, its generally a really bad idea to do the install offline - you want windows to get latest updates and apply them as part of the install, and you want it to configure your internet access. it can't do that if it can't see it. I will be amazed if there is no current workaround for the use microsoft account bit...
... says here https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/con...ount-creation/
you just accept use microsoft account , then do the " changed my mind bit" later...
You might click “Learn More” to find more information about the account creation process. If you do, Windows 10’s Setup says this is how you can avoid signing in with a Microsoft account:

If you’d prefer not to have a Microsoft account associated with your device, you can remove it. Finish going through Windows setup, then select the Start button and go to Settings > Accounts > Your info and select Sign in with a local account instead.

That’s right—if you don’t want a Microsoft account, Microsoft says you need to sign in with one anyway and then remove it later.
No if you do the install without internet you get a "clean install" less bloatware--also lets you go in and do all the privacy settings while offline. I.g. TURN OFF Cortana, set up firewall, etc, etc.

Windows will do an update as soon as you connect to the internet.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 04-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
1 Security
2 Privacy
3 For when you have no internet.

Main reason your computer does not have to "phone home" in order to let you use it.

No if you do the install without internet you get a "clean install" less bloatware--also lets you go in and do all the privacy settings while offline. I.g. TURN OFF Cortana, set up firewall, etc, etc.

Windows will do an update as soon as you connect to the internet.

bernie
I've used my PC many times when I've had no internet. As to security and privacy, I imagine it would not be particularly harder for MS to spy on you with a local account, if they really wanted to. Unless you're using a VPN all the time you're online. I've turned most of the privacy settings off, but I don't really care or worry about such things. Let them spy on my boring life. So what?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

i would ask anyone advocating an offline w10 install " have they actually done one" ir did they just read about it on some random forum.

I think the only safe way to install windows is to download the installer direct from Microsoft, and then follow Microsoft's instructions, not those found on reddit or similar

and of course, windows will not activate, until/unless it gets on line
to repair windows,. there is a perfectly good built-in method. Look for "reset my PC "

and ( desperate attempt to get the thread back on topic) the best way to install/move/update calibre is to get the code from the official website only and to follow the author's instructions
Old 04-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
.. You can disable signing in every time you're away from your device or your PC falls asleep (that's what I did with my older devices). ...
i appreciate we are hijacking the thread somewhat , but FWIW, I have never been able to bypass having to sign in on the 1st screen when I use sleep/wake. Even though i have no password and have ticked all the appropriate boxes, when I wake from sleep I have to tap keyboard to wake it up, then waggle the mouse until the sign in box appears at centre of screen, then click it.
but if I restart or power cycle, it will go directly into windows, with no intervention
I still use sleep nearly all the time though, for overnight