Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Can the Kobo operating system be completely customized?

Is there a way to completely customize the Kobo's operating system? I know and I use the patches, but I would like greater freedom to do what I want with my Kobo.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I have in mind is something like Linux. It's completely customizable.
Advert
Old 06-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, your Kobo ereader is running Linux. Please note that there are severe hardware limitations and oddities.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
And Nickel is not open source, so it is impossible a complete customization.
Of course it is possible to write something to make work from zero Your Kobo, but I think it would be very difficult.

Last edited by ps67; 06-01-2020 at 01:07 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it's safe to say it's running a Linux kernel, a range of busybox implemented utilities and some other commands.

It's more of an embedded Linux environment as opposed to a full distribution.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
And Nickel is not open source, so it is impossible a complete customization.
Can it be reverse-engineered?
Old 06-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Depending on your point of view, it's been done before. You can do plenty.

See koreader, plato, xcsoar, ...

But if your goal is e.g. a reader that runs android and lets you install any app - you might be better off with a different device anyway.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
droopy
Guru

Hi frost,
thanks for your reply.
Actually, I llike the fact that I can't install just any Android app.
I don't want to turn my dedicated ereader to another smartphone. I just want to customize my reading experience.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hi frost,
thanks for your reply.
Actually, I llike the fact that I can't install just any Android app.
I don't want to turn my dedicated ereader to another smartphone. I just want to customize my reading experience.
What is it you want to do?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is it you want to do?
For one, when I save a word to my "My Words" vocabulary list, I'd like the entire sentence, or even the entire paragraph, saved into the vocabulary list.

Last edited by droopy; 06-12-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
II2II
II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
For one, when I save a word to my "My Words" vocabulary list, I'd like the entire sentence, or even the entire paragraph, saved into the vocabulary list.
Even though the operating system can be customized, the default reading software that you interact with cannot be customized using reasonable methods. (Granted, there are people who do those customizations anyway. We have those people to thank for the patches.) To make a long story short: if you are interested in a feature, you are far better off looking at one of the alternative open source reading applications then either contributing changes or making a polite feature request.
II2II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
droopy
Guru

Are you referring to KOreader?
Old 06-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
II2II
II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Are you referring to KOreader?
Yes, it is one of the alternative readers. Plato and pbchess (which includes CoolReader) are other options. As far as I can tell, none of these alternatives include the particular feature that you are asking for but they may be receptive to suggestions.
II2II is offline   Reply With Quote