Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Bought my Oasis 32 GB version 3 during the Amazon Black Friday week sale for about $80 off the standard price. I now have both 7" screen Oasis models.
Yea, just rub it in.

When I looked yesterday, availability was listed as mid Jan. I have a Kindle Oasis that I bought last Feb. as my "car" device (i.e. sits in my car console in case I forget to bring my iPad with me). Getting the 32 GB version with WiFi and no ads runs it up to $300, still the button is very handy with the device propped up against a salt shaker while eating lunch. I might just get it and gift last year's model to my sister so she can have access to my library.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #17
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Buttons are the main reason I bought my Oasis gen1. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to find another reader with buttons that I like...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #18
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't necessarily want button(s) on the reader, so I would rather a reader didn't have them. I would like a remote to turn the page.
It can be done. I've been meaning to pick up a bluetooth remote to turn pages on my Onyx. Then I can prop the e-reader up in bed and not have to hold it or move my hands to page turn.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have the second Oasis with page turn buttons. I wish it didn't have them. I like the wider bezel on one side, but never use the buttons while reading...can't stand the clicking.

For me it's just as easy to slightly roll my thumb to the edge of the screen to turn the page.

I've been using my 10th gen Paperwhite more than the Oasis, because the form factor is better for me. And the Oasis keeps locking up on a regular basis and needs reset to factory. I do mildly regret the purchase of the Oasis.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Snagged the latest Oasis while it was on sale and I have to say I'm very pleased. I especially like the buttons.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, I pulled my Oasis out of the car and son of a gun, it has buttons. I had totally forgotten. I wonder what the difference between last year's model and this year's model is.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #22
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I moved from an Oasis to an Onyx Poke Pro. I missed the page turn buttons, so got a remote.

If I had to choose between a remote and on device page turn buttons, I'd choose the remote. Ideally I'd have both.

With the remote, I now usually have my book in a stand which allows more comfortable reading than holding the e-reader.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
A remote??? That would be extremely awkward. E-reader in one hand and remote in the other ..... 😂😂😂
The remote is for those times you don't want to walk all the way across the room to turn the page on your reader
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, I pulled my Oasis out of the car and son of a gun, it has buttons. I had totally forgotten. I wonder what the difference between last year's model and this year's model is.
Frontlight color adjustment.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The comfort light. Otherwise they're pretty identical.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Buttons are the main reason I bought my Oasis gen1. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to find another reader with buttons that I like...
I'd say the Kobo Libra comes closest from the ergonomical viewpoint. I had the 1st gen Oasis, but sold it, because I want a larger screen nowadays.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #27
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The remote is for those times you don't want to walk all the way across the room to turn the page on your reader

I still don't get it. Some are saying they prop it up in bed. Can't they just reach out and push the button or touch the screen? Seems a silly and involved way to turn the pages to me. I figure the reader can't be that far away. Most people here seem to have bad vision like I do...lol
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post

I still don't get it. Some are saying they prop it up in bed. Can't they just reach out and push the button or touch the screen? Seems a silly and involved way to turn the pages to me. I figure the reader can't be that far away. Most people here seem to have bad vision like I do...lol
I suppose if their bedroom is cold and they don't want to reach a hand out from under the duvet, a remote might help; but would it work through the duvet?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'd say the Kobo Libra comes closest from the ergonomical viewpoint. I had the 1st gen Oasis, but sold it, because I want a larger screen nowadays.
What size was the Oasis 1? smaller than the Libra's 7 inches?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What size was the Oasis 1? smaller than the Libra's 7 inches?
6‘‘, yes.