Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
mmefford
mmefford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Psychological Thriller WHOLE WORLD BLIND

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike Mefford and I’d like to introduce my novel, WHOLE WORLD BLIND.

When Dr. Jack Carson fell asleep at the wheel and lost his son in a tragic accident, his life crumbled around him. Struggling to put the broken pieces back together, Carson faces death again three years later when he finds a body at the mental hospital where he’s a psychiatrist. A note on the body says the killing will only end with Carson’s murder.
Alex Tanner, the beautiful and intelligent detective assigned to his case, gives Carson reason for optimism. But the killer, who blames Carson for his mother’s suicide, is watching and waiting, whispering despair from the shadows. A childhood spent with a sadistic father has left the antagonist with a calculated and awful purpose. He doesn’t just want to kill Carson; he wants to create an existence so miserable the psychiatrist will understand the true genesis of evil. The central question that drove me to finish the novel was this: Could my protagonist swim through a river of darkness and come out clean on the other side, or would the darkness prove indelible?
WHOLE WORLD BLIND takes place over a two week period at the state mental hospital in Columbia, South Carolina, and within a series of hidden tunnels that network beneath the city. I strived to capture the gripping pace of INTENSITY by Dean Koontz and the gritty psychological interchange of THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS by Thomas Harris. Further inspiration came from my years as a psychiatry resident at the state mental hospital of South Carolina. During those years, I worked closely with murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and various other sociopaths. Fortunately, it was the dark and rarely traveled road that led to this story.

Kindle link: http://www.amazon.com/Whole-World-Bl...6692656&sr=8-2

Smashwords link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/6805

www.thebookjournal.com review: http://thebookjournal.com/2010/02/wh...ael-b-mefford/

Thanks for taking a look. I just found this forum and look forward to exploring more.

Take care and good reading,

Mike Mefford

www.wholeworldblind.com
mmefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Mike.

Enjoy the forums, and don't forget to visit our writers corner. We have many talented writers here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Mike! We are a worldwide forum, and we love to support MR authors who actively participate in our forums (especially, those authors who publish in multiple formats without DRM and geographic restrictions)!

Have fun exploring the forums and just ask if you want to know or learn something.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Welcome, Mike.

Checked out your website on Whole World Blind and purchased the Kindle version.
Thanks.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Hi Mike

I should have said Hello this morning, but I was in a hurry to get your book... I'm 3/4 way through it... It was very hard to put down, so I could make some dinner...

Welcome to MR
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Welcome Mike, your book sounds great! I'm going to check it out.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
mmefford

Thank you so much for taking a look at the book and extending a warm welcome. I wish I would have found this site earlier.

Take care,

Mike
Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Welcome Mike! Your book sounds great. We love great writers here! And we especially love great readers here too! Although, find me a reader who isn't great.
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This book was a fantastic read... Thanks Mike... I only put it down for a few hours to get some much needed sleep... Are you planning a sequel?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
mmefford

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had hoped for WHOLE WORLD BLIND to be the beginning of a series with Jack Carson as my lead guy, much like Alex Delaware or Alex Cross.
I'm currently in the final draft stages of a fantasy novel. I'd thought about alternating back and forth between psychological thrillers and fantasy. It's hard to stay with the psych. thrillers all the time because of the dark nature of those books. Fantasy offers a nice change of pace. But I have to admit, I'm curious about what Dr. Carson might get up to in the future.
Thanks again,

Mike
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard

Hi Mike

I'm not much into Fantasy, but I'll wait and see, what Dr Carson gets up to... He certainly got some guts, even if he doesn't know it...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
My TBR list is so long I tend now to download a sample from Smashwords before buying to ensure a book is 'my type' - the samples for this are not working at Smashwords.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
mmefford

Hi Columbus,

I rechecked WHOLE WORLD BLIND on Smashwords and it's definitely enabled for free sampling of 50% of the book. I'd have to guess the issue is with Smashwords. Hopefully, it will get resolved soon. Thanks for taking a look.

Mike
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Welcome, Mike.
yOU ARE LUCKY TO BE HERE !
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
mmefford