Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question Old?

My eDGe is feeling old next to all the thin lightweight fancy tablets.
What is one to do?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And Woot! is having a SAMSUNG Tent mega sale...
Advert
Old 05-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
My eDGe feels a bit elderly as well, but I am sitting here reading a book on one side of it, and playing games/browsing the internet on the other . . . every morning I'm at home. My svelte laptop takes too much space and doesn't have the eink, and my phone just isn't as pleasant an experience for either reading or gaming. So until the eink fades to nothing and I get totally frustrated with the barely-adequate browser I'll stick with my old friend!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
And Woot! is having a SAMSUNG Tent mega sale...
And I got one of these...

[Image exceeds guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-06-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
My EE may be old but it still does the job I got it for - reading service manuals and making notes as well as sending and receiving e-mails when I am out on the job.

At the moment I am looking for a good 10 to 13 inch e-ink device plus a similar size LCD unit with a wacom stylus. When I find them I will see about creating my own Edge with new hardware - we may even be able to integrate the the interaction between the two screens as it appears some of the e-ink units are using android as well.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
When I find them I will see about creating my own Edge with new hardware - we may even be able to integrate the the interaction between the two screens as it appears some of the e-ink units are using android as well.
That sounds like quite the project. It is too bad the edge was abandoned, surely the advancements in technology would have propelled it further.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I still use my PE a ton. I have a GNII I use a lot as well. I'm really tempted to get a new Surface Pro 3 or the 12.2" Galaxy Note Tab Pro (damn mouth full). But I dunno. I really love my eDGe and I keep trying other devices for reading and note taking and inevitably going back to the eDGe for anything beyond basic note taking. The PE is the perfect research/study partner for me.

The new Surface Pro 3 + the next Windows 8.x update may help supersede it, tho. They are adding a lot of nice stuff to Win 8 that'll help with the app tiling and what not.

But my PE with 2.2 that is heavily modified will probably still get a lot of use for another few years.

p.s.

My dad has a Note 8 like mentioned above and he absolutely loves it. It is a great device.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
p.s. My dad has a Note 8 like mentioned above and he absolutely loves it. It is a great device.
An interesting device; received 2 days ago.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you played with the multiwindow mode yet? It is really really handy. I use it all the time on my Galaxy Note II + a couple of other apps that offer floating windows and stuff. Makes multitasking a pretty good experience, if not perfect.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Have you played with the multiwindow mode yet?
Some, but unless rooted it is limited to those apps Samsung has decided can utilize it. I got a refurb with 90 day Samsung warranty, so rooting will wait until it expires...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
helf
Zealot

ah, yeah. Good plan waiting on the warranty.

You probably know already, but there's a really nice way to add tweaks to Android after rooting that doesn't involve flashing hacks to the rom anymore.

"XPosed Framework". I use it on my phone to add a TON of stuff. There's a multiwindow mod, too, that works beautifully and allows any app to be added.

The other app I use is called "Floating Apps" and it doesn't require root. It has a lot of functions that abuse the widget system and I love it - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.flappsfull
Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
janhall_us
Enthusiast
janhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle2, Pocket eDGe, (full-size) eDGe, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 10.1
Not too old yet...

I have a PE & EE that I put in a drawer when I bought a Nexus 7 (too small) and then a Galaxy Note 10.1. Although I love the Note, I just recently pulled my EE out of the drawer to use for reading technical manuals and doing research with screen shots and making notes. Nothing compares to the integration of the eDge and there's no comparison of reading manuals on the Note and reading manuals on the eink side of the EE. So, "old"? Depends on the job you want the eDge to do. I will be very sad when my EE dies.
janhall_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #13
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

Quote:
"XPosed Framework". I use it on my phone to add a TON of stuff. There's a multiwindow mod, too, that works beautifully and allows any app to be added.

The other app I use is called "Floating Apps" and it doesn't require root. It has a lot of functions that abuse the widget system and I love it - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.flappsfull
I have read some of the Xposed Framework on XDA. 80 days to go...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

Question Note 8 or EE/PE

Quote:
Originally Posted by janhall_us View Post
I have a PE & EE that I put in a drawer when I bought a Nexus 7 (too small) and then a Galaxy Note 10.1. Although I love the Note, I just recently pulled my EE out of the drawer to use for reading technical manuals and doing research with screen shots and making notes. Nothing compares to the integration of the eDge and there's no comparison of reading manuals on the Note and reading manuals on the eink side of the EE. So, "old"? Depends on the job you want the eDge to do. I will be very sad when my EE dies. Emphasis mine -gunner.
Yup I bought the EE (Red) when it was first introduced at a tidy some of $599! Then acquired another at a fraction of the cost when entourage decided to throw in the towel. I liked and still do the ability of viewing two screens of data. But seems by needs, likely wants, have changed.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
And I got one of these...

[Image exceeds guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
I had an eDge and I have the Note 8, 10 and 12.2 lol

You made a perfect choice. The Note is just perfect. I love mine.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ee pe, new age, samsung galaxy note, tablet