Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #151
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Since, like, never!

I want the Aura....I don't think I can pass it off as a Mother's Day gift to myself, though. Next big holiday is Christmas.....sigh...
O sure you can. My little brothers birthday is April 25 (official release day) so I asked if I could by myself a present for his birthday instead of him and he said YES!!! So... I think buying your own Mother's day present is completely justified.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #152
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
It appears that I have a newer firmware (I must just be that special )

2.5.0 (c988b71a4d, 4/12/13)

I ordered mine directly from KOBO and it is an ONYX.

S
I really wish kobo would stop doing this, they obviously have a newer firmware but didn't change the version number so the device will not update on its own, would have to do a manual download of the newer firmware and install manually.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #153
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh, I always buy my own presents....that just seems like a lot. I did buy myself a bird + cage for about that amount once, for mother's day....but I was working and didn't have any kids at the time. Or maybe that was Valentine's Day. It was a long time ago.

If I sell a few things on ebay, I could pay for it that way. I'll have to get my ducks in gear. I suppose I could sell my Sony to cover some of the cost....but I don't know if I want to do that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #154
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I really wish kobo would stop doing this, they obviously have a newer firmware but didn't change the version number so the device will not update on its own, would have to do a manual download of the newer firmware and install manually.
+1

They've been doing this from day 1
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #155
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Quote:
It appears that I have a newer firmware (I must just be that special )

2.5.0 (c988b71a4d, 4/12/13)

I ordered mine directly from KOBO and it is an ONYX.

S
This firmware revision (c988b71a4d) actually pertains to the touch/glo/mini. That firmware update also contains code for the kobo aura aka dragon.

The 005513d0d1 revinfo is the current aura firmware on offer from kobo's servers.

Did you sideload a firmware or something? As the firmware update via the internet should not have given you that firmware revision.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #156
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
+1

They've been doing this from day 1
Maybe they're just trying some changes and want to see how it behaves on a larger scale before updating all the devices? If there is not more complaints with the slightly updated firmware, they will release a 2.5.1 version or something like that.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #157
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
This firmware revision (c988b71a4d) actually pertains to the touch/glo/mini. That firmware update also contains code for the kobo aura aka dragon.

The 005513d0d1 revinfo is the current aura firmware on offer from kobo's servers.

Did you sideload a firmware or something? As the firmware update via the internet should not have given you that firmware revision.
I didn't do any sideloading or anything, so I have no idea why I have the other firmware. Like I said, I must just be special

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #158
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Quote:
I didn't do any sideloading or anything, so I have no idea why I have the other firmware.
Try checking for a firmware update. I'm curious to see if it actually will offer it to you.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #159
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh, I always buy my own presents....that just seems like a lot. I did buy myself a bird + cage for about that amount once, for mother's day....but I was working and didn't have any kids at the time. Or maybe that was Valentine's Day. It was a long time ago.

Love it! I only have fur babies and they aren't going to buy me a mother's day gift, despite all I do for them. I'll call it my mother's day gift. Never got one of those before, and probably never will.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #160
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I think Mostly Math probably got one of the first batch, so maybe production switched to the latter firmware and that's why others have it. My guess is that until they change 2.5.0 to something else on the new firmware it won't update if it works like the Touch and Glo. I believe it has been stated before that if you go into the Touch or Glo and change the number to a higher version it will not download updates until that number is superseded. Wish I had posts to back that up.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #161
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Since when does NEED have anything to do with it ?

S
Good point!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #162
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't know about the devices, but I buy a lot of books at Kobo as they are a great source for UK books for US residents. I can get many UK detective novels from them that are not available at either Amazon (US) or Barnes and Noble (US). I've only run into one that was geographically locked out.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mostly Math, I'd like to see how small the line spacing can go in the Aura HD please.

Please install Charis SIL from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=9 and set the line spacing as small as possible. If need be, I can point you to an ePub that has no line spacing set in CSS.

Thank you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #164
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Try checking for a firmware update. I'm curious to see if it actually will offer it to you.
FW 2.5.1 just installed on my Aura HD (as well as my Mini and Glo)

No change in release notes but the menu now works on the icons on home page of Aura HD (long press to get open/dismiss menu items so you can get rid of something from homepage if you want to)

Last edited by jiminrussell; 04-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #165
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mostly Math, I'd like to see how small the line spacing can go in the Aura HD please.

Please install Charis SIL from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=9 and set the line spacing as small as possible. If need be, I can point you to an ePub that has no line spacing set in CSS.

Thank you.
Assuming there were no changes to the default settings, the default minimum linespacing for the kobo reader app is set to 1.3.

There is a configfile on the kobo where you can change that, but I'm not 100% sure it actually works, as it was "discovered" after I configured my calibre to set my prefered linespacing, and I didn't bother to experiment with it.

What definetly works is setting any linespacing in the epubs css themselves.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote