Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #46
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
<Burns>Eeexxceellent...</Burns>

Seriously. I've got soooo many PDF documents that simply cannot be scaled down or re-flowed. I'm very VERY VERY psyched that this is getting closer to production. It'd be nice if they had a version with no frills. Same large screen, reads a myriad of formats, and that's it. No WiFi, no EVDO, none of that. Just a reader. But...I'm pretty sure I'll get one anyway.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosentredere View Post
Exactly, a 9.7” screen is only slightly larger than A5, making it half the size of A4.
Which makes it perfect to view in landscape mode and 1/2 a page although it is large enough to do relatively well in portrait mode with most documents which is an advantage over the 8.1" iLiad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #48
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Jinkies.....
You see them in somber dark places with their eyes so red...

Those poor people... eink Jinkies...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #49
llwwss
llwwss doesn't litterllwwss doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
9.7'' screen is fascinating, it will be good for viewing especially PDF files.
But CPU is only 200Mhz.
Won't it be too slow for handling PDFs?
llwwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The CPU will be just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #51
Gladtobemom
Connoisseur
Gladtobemom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Palm Z72
I'm soooooo wanting one of those!

Now I view textbooks that I've photographed on my Fujitsu, but the battery life truly sucks!

I would easily pay $600 for a long battery life, light weight, and stylus to take notes!

Now, how long do I have to wait . . . I'm watching the clock . . .

I carry around about 40 textbooks and quite a few references that DH has turned into PDF books for me. This size would be such a help. And being able to take notes (annotate) is incredibly valuable.

Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #52
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
First, if Hanlin can ever get a version of their reader that supports a full touch screen (for note taking & web browsing) as well as Wi-Fi, it will sell to every college in the USA. We all use some online course system, mostly Blackboard, but sometimes WebCT. We all have Wi-Fi in our class rooms. We want our students to be able to log into Blackboad via Wi-Fi and take a quiz. The students want to be able to record a lecture, post it to a web folder, and listen to it later. They want to be able to take notes, or type an essay. They want to be able to check their eMail. They need to be able to access text books the instructor selects.

The battery must by able to take a day-from-hell (16-20 hours) and then not be charged (the user is too tired to remember) before the next day (10-12 hours.)

The market is probably 1 million units per year, if Hanlin can get it right. I'll make it required for a few hundred college freshmen a year, if they ever start selling one that does what we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power100 View Post
margin!
is there margin on your A4/letter printing?
Assume a 1" margin, all the way around an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. (8.5x11 is not quite A4, but it's close.) That's a 6.5" x 9" sheet. Use the pythagorean theorem. The diagonal = sqrt(6.5^2 + 9^2) = sqrt(123.25) = 11.1 inches. That's NOT 9.7 inches.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #53
Vaughamm
Vaughamm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin eReader V3
How many greyscale tones? 4,8,16?
Vaughamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #54
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Hanlin V9 vs. Netronix 9.7.....Decisions, decisions.....(I LOVE capitalism - even when I'm not typing...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #55
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Hanlin V9 vs. Netronix 9.7.....Decisions, decisions.....(I LOVE capitalism - even when I'm not typing...)
... Astak Mentor 9.7"...
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #56
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I'm all for an A4 device... what I can tell from the pictures, still no anti reflection screen? ouch
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #57
camarotx
camarotx began at the beginning.

Device: None YET
Features .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bag View Post
I went back to my hometown Tianjin from the US where I spent my New Year's holiday. I got a chance to visit Jinke and saw a sample of the Hanlin V9. My first impression: so pretty! Compared to my Sony PRS-505, it's definitely bigger. The V9 also adds new functions such as WiFi, CDMA/EVDO and handwriting that can help accessing e-books, newspapers, RSS and blogs through the Internet.

Supported file formats are the same as for the V3, including various open formats such as Epub and PPT. And language support covers almost every corner of the world.

For me, the most intriguing thing is the effect of the A4 screen, allowing without zooming to display A4-sized PDF file almost as clear as on paper; only the font size may look a little small. With zoom-in (half page will be displayed on one screen), the font in turn is bigger than the original font of the paper.

The V9 also has a stylus; it realizes the click function, and allows making notes while reading.

Otherwise, the software and hardware are about the same as for the V3.

All in all, I was positively shocked by the V9 -- I believe everyone who sees it will like to get one right away.

According to Jinke, PVI can not yet mass-produce 9.7-inch displays. The MP is delayed until at least June; also the controller designed by E Ink still has a bug. Epson is busy with designing a new controller; the ASIC can be available in next month. The price is not set yet, probably somewhere between $599 and $699.

Some live photos of the V9 are attached.
Okay this is starting to look like what I am looking for.

What I want is a digital planner, reader, notetaker all in one. I am a professional and spend 90% of my day in meetings taking notes or preparing for meetings reading white papers and preparing my comments. I would like to take all of this completely digital with one nice device. Yes there are PDA's ( too small to comfortably read or take notes on but nice as a digital planner ) Why can't I have it all in a nice slick device with an E Ink display for comfortable viewing that is large enough for comfortable reading and notetaking, with enough power to run a decent planner software that maybe can wifi sync with my outlook. No need for email not asking for that, although it would be nice ....
camarotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarotx View Post
Okay this is starting to look like what I am looking for.

What I want is a digital planner, reader, notetaker all in one. I am a professional and spend 90% of my day in meetings taking notes or preparing for meetings reading white papers and preparing my comments. I would like to take all of this completely digital with one nice device. Yes there are PDA's ( too small to comfortably read or take notes on but nice as a digital planner ) Why can't I have it all in a nice slick device with an E Ink display for comfortable viewing that is large enough for comfortable reading and notetaking, with enough power to run a decent planner software that maybe can wifi sync with my outlook. No need for email not asking for that, although it would be nice ....
Then what you really want is a iRex iLiad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #59
camarotx
camarotx began at the beginning.

Device: None YET
Maybe ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then what you really want is a iRex iLiad.
I have been seriously considering one, anyone hear if a new version is due out any time soon? I would rather have a V3 if one is on the horizon. Problem is I have read some posts that say it may not be as durable as I will be using this almost all day ... every day ... also from what I have seen the calendar, task list functionality available is poor at best with no sync capability? Thoughts ??
camarotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #60
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
so big
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote