Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
DropDeadAlex
DropDeadAlex began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, PW3
K5 Touch Prevent

Hi Everyone.

I would like to know if there's a way to prevent the functions associated to touch the screen. I mean: when I am reading, is more comfortable to put my thumb in the middle of the screen to hold the my ppw1. But if I do it, the dictionary, the next page, or whatever is called.

I just wanna to hold the ppw1 with my thumb in the screen without it do something unwanted.

Someone knows something like this?
DropDeadAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Buy a used PW1 with a broken touch screen?

Find a soft cotton glove - cut thumb off of glove, wear on the middle-of-screen thumb.
(yes, really, not a joke)
You may have to experiment with the thickness of the glove as a thumb cover.

Last edited by knc1; 10-26-2014 at 09:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As knc1 said.

The Kindle PW1/2 use capacitive touchscreens, you would not be the only MobileRead member to use a glove to prevent activating the touch sensor.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
DropDeadAlex

Thanks. Nice tip, guys

But no one thought about to put an "double click" function in the KUAL or something like this? Something like to active a function that demands you to tap a double click to press the "buttons".

Like the "prevent screen saver" in the KUAL menu. Actually the double click would be much more useful than this.

...not intending to be rude
Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropDeadAlex View Post
Like the "prevent screen saver" in the KUAL menu. Actually the double click would be much more useful than this.
I came up with a solution for Kindle Touch once.
Maybe someone could adjust it to work with double click on PW.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
a way to implement double click could be, only register the 'even' number of touch.
so, if it's the first touch, do nothing.
if the second touch, accept it.
start the loop again.

i guess you would want to make a timeout too, so the 2nd touch has to happen within .5 seconds from the 1st.

surely there must be a way to hook in to the touch screen and do that - for the people in the know who want to do this.
good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
I came up with a solution for Kindle Touch once.
Maybe someone could adjust it to work with double click on PW.
i remember seeing this beore, nice idea, although i don't have a use for it personally.
it should be very possible for someone to put the ideas i wrote above, into your code, if that would be ok

-edit. i just realized, doing it so simply like i said, you could press anywhere initially, and have the 2nd press at a completely different part of the screen, and it would reigster.
it would be best to have some leeway, the 2nd click is only recognized if it is +-5px of the first.

i wrote some basic, unworking, out of context code. i started working with baf's program, although having never worked with X11, never complied anything for kindle, etc etc, i'm not in a position to test it out so it's not really worth my time to do anymore since i won't be able to see what is right and wrong.
if anyone else wants to carry on from what i did then:

Spoiler:

Code:
//////
bool IgnoreTouch = true; //will the touch be ignored or not
bool isSecondTouch = false; //is this the second touch? -- is this NOT the first touch in 0.5 seconds?

int doubleClickDuration = 500;
int previousX = 0; // xpos of first click
int previousY = 0; // ypos of first click
//////

clickTime = xev.xkey.time;
timeDiff = (long) xev.xkey.time - (long) clickTime;

//check if this could be a double click -  see if the time difference between this touch and the previous is 0.5 seconds or less
if(timeDiff <= doubleClickDuration){
	isSecondTouch = true;
} else {
	isSecondTouch = false;
}

if(isSecondTouch){
	//if 2nd touch is +- 1px away from 1st
 	if( (xev.xbutton.x >= previousX - 1)  && (xev.xbutton.x <= previousX + 1) ){

if( (xev.xbutton.y >= previousY - 1)  && (xev.xbutton.y <= previousY + 1) ){

IgnoreTouch = false;

}
	}
}

//if this is a first touch, save the position so that we can check against it in the second touch
//because the touches need to be in the same place
if(!isSecondTouch){
	previousX = xev.xbutton.x;
	previousY = xev.xbutton.y;
}

Last edited by zxczxc; 10-27-2014 at 10:02 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
DropDeadAlex

ow man...

What I need to do this? Are there Some Develope Kit? Some tutorial/ firsts steps in the kindle programation...