Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #151
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
myself ...I have no problem with using calibre.. to fix the covers I just open tweak epub option and edit the opf file or replace the image.. I was just responding to the comment, where it was said .." just convert all your books with calibre" and I was pointing out that is not a great answer for everyone..

Calibre is a great tool, but just running the "convert" epub to epub as an answer to the cover issue can create problems for SOME (please note I said some not all) purchased books..

I find just editing the odf file very easy and does not create any problem elsewhere in the book you might miss in a casual glance.
The thing is, that post was posted a while ago and now that the updated calibre works for most covers, those posts are moot.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #152
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
hmmm not really, my post was a response to a post made on the same day, and doing a epub to epub convert is still not the perfect answer
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #153
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Oh sorry. I thought it was people that didn't have the updated Calibre that were converting epub to epub. Now with the update, I haven't seen that making a difference.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #154
only one haze
only one haze began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
hello, first post here. been lurking a few days now. We got my wife's NC last Saturday. Love it! One question about using Calibre. When you guys sideload the books from Calibre to the NC are you moving the whole book folder containing the epub, image and opf file? I have just been moving the actual epub file and have had no problem with covers at all. Granted this has only been about 8 books so far but they go off without a hitch. Just curious....

EDIT..and I have not been transferring through Calibre. Open the book in Calibre, make sure it checks out ok. Close Calibre, connect NC copy files from computer to NC.

Last edited by only one haze; 03-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
only one haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #155
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
Did the most recent Calibre update break something? I've had very few problems getting the covers to show up but the two I added today just won't show up.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #156
lawlevin
lawlevin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I usually transfer my book using Calibre. When the nook is hooked up to the computer there is an icon for "send to device". That is how I have been doing it for the past couple of months. I used to transfer them manually but this just seems to make it easier, quicker, and seamless.
lawlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #157
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
This thread seems to be getting very long.

Maybe someone can help with my understanding of book covers and when and where they will show.

Unrooted nook and no book covers show on the main page when I turn on my NC. All I get is the user guide and quick start guide.I haven't made any purchases from B&N. By the way anyone know how to delete these, I have looked in all folders when hooked up to my PC and cannot find the files.

I have set up a shelf and books that get moved there show the cover.

One thing that bugs me is not being able to get my shelf on the opening screen, I have to go to library and press my shelves and then the edit my shelves takes up as much room as my shelf does.

Has anyone got sideloaded books to appear in the opening screen and if so what folder are they being loaded to on the NC.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #158
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I do not believe that sideloaded books will show on the "opening screen". Only books purchased or downloaded from B&N will show here. All sideloaded books you can see in your My Files directory after going to your library.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #159
Spyderman
Spyderman began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
I have had mixed results, some sideloaded books show with covers, others don't. Don't know why, nor can I discern a pattern regarding WHERE Nook stores the graphics.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #160
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
From the creator KOVIDGOYAL

The NC has a bug which causes it to not display covers if the id of the cover element in the manifest has any value other than cover.

calibre explicitly works around this bug when outputting EPUB.

Found here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130230

So the first thing to do if cover not loaded is just convert your epub to epub and the problem will most likely be solved.

Maybe this info should be in the first post of the Sticky
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:35 AM   #161
hamptonk
hamptonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hamptonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hamptonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOK
I think the solution to having covers show up in the nook is edit the <meta data> section in the opf file.... add the line
<meta name="cover" content="cover-image" />

If it's already there, it seems to matter that name comes before content above... when they were reversed, i got no cover on the bookshelf....
so rearrange them in the proper order.

NOTE:
the content="cover-image" refers down to the id in the manifest:
<item id="cover-image" href="images/my_cover_file.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />

If you will go to calibre and do the "tweak epub" and add the <meta name> thing and then rebuild, and then send to your device, that should make the covers work. It also makes the covers show up in stanza on my iphone.

if this does the trick, it would be nice if calibre would do this automatically...
hamptonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #162
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptonk View Post
I think the solution to having covers show up in the nook is edit the <meta data> section in the opf file.... add the line
<meta name="cover" content="cover-image" />

If it's already there, it seems to matter that name comes before content above... when they were reversed, i got no cover on the bookshelf....
so rearrange them in the proper order.

NOTE:
the content="cover-image" refers down to the id in the manifest:
<item id="cover-image" href="images/my_cover_file.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />

If you will go to calibre and do the "tweak epub" and add the <meta name> thing and then rebuild, and then send to your device, that should make the covers work. It also makes the covers show up in stanza on my iphone.

if this does the trick, it would be nice if calibre would do this automatically...
Thanks for taking the time to post. Welcome.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #163
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I do not believe that sideloaded books will show on the "opening screen". Only books purchased or downloaded from B&N will show here. All sideloaded books you can see in your My Files directory after going to your library.
Sideloaded books can be made to show on the opening (home) screens if you download them to My Files/Books. A long press on the book pops up an option to show it on the home screen.

I think this is new in update 1.2
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #164
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I think this is new in update 1.2
I think many of us are shocked B&N made this possible. That had to be the biggest gripe folks had.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #165
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I think many of us are shocked B&N made this possible. That had to be the biggest gripe folks had.
I agree! I thought that they would not allow it - no matter how much people griped - simply to control an incentive to purchase their B&N content. I am very happy with the added home screen feature since the majority of my books are sideloaded.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote