Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
How Barnes & Noble Came Back From Near Dead

This is GREAT!
(from the NY Times this morning.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/o...bookstore.html

"
By Ezra Klein
Opinion Columnist

I remember when Barnes & Noble first opened in my hometown. Before that, we had a cramped Crown Books, and some lovely, but limited, libraries. Barnes & Noble was a revelation. There was something wondrous about a room with that many books, each of them a doorway to unknown worlds, ideas and lives. That’s still the feeling, for me, of walking into a great bookstore: limitlessness.
"

Marvelous!!!

Last edited by frahse; 01-30-2023 at 01:48 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:47 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
That's good news for sure! I've always liked browsing through B&N with a cup of coffee exploring books.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2023, 10:55 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
That's good news for sure! I've always liked browsing through B&N with a cup of coffee exploring books.
Amen.
BAM as well. And in olden days before they were eaten by B&N and BAM, all the smaller Mall bookstores.

Now days a nice Grocery or big Pharmacy might have a small section of books beside the magazines.

Even Dollar Tree has a few discounted books. And on occasion a Dollar General or a Family Dollar might have a rack.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Paywall.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
It came back from near dead by becoming a freaking toy store that sells books on the side. I am not sure that's a great thing.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2023, 12:38 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
This is GREAT!
(from the NY Times this morning.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/o...bookstore.html

"
By Ezra Klein
Opinion Columnist

I remember when Barnes & Noble first opened in my hometown. Before that, we had a cramped Crown Books, and some lovely, but limited, libraries. Barnes & Noble was a revelation. There was something wondrous about a room with that many books, each of them a doorway to unknown worlds, ideas and lives. That’s still the feeling, for me, of walking into a great bookstore: limitlessness.
"

Marvelous!!!
Why does that quote remind me of “You’ve got Mail”?
Did any of the Crown Books staff end up helping people to find books in B&N?. Or is B&N like Eason’s here in Limerick now, less than 1/2 is actual books. I remember even 20 years ago Easons was mostly books. I think 50 years ago in Belfast they were entirely books.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Gift link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/o...smid=share-url
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:05 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Another ode to the superiority of paper books. Bah.

No, I don't get a huge enjoyment out of paper books. I get exactly zero enjoyment out of paper books. I can't stand the smell, I hate the feeling. They're clumsy, heavy and uncomfortable. And you can't search them. Just no.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:32 PM   #9
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
And right now, I cannot get onto the Barnes & Noble website. It keeps coming back "Access Denied". But if I turn the wifi off on my phone, I can get onto the sight. Still trying to figure this out as it worked Saturday but hasn't since yesterday (Sunday).
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Website working here in Ireland, though I've not tried buying anything. That's on a niche browser with uMatrix to block unwanted scripts.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:29 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
It came back from near dead by becoming a freaking toy store that sells books on the side. I am not sure that's a great thing.
I'm going to call BS on this. When was the last time you went to your local B&N?

The giant B&N in my area has pulled their music and movie section and filled it with books. The upstairs seating area was removed to be filled with books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I am and always will be a biblophile, so I love bookstores still - but our local B&N closed long ago unfortunately. We have a Books-A-Million and a large used bookstore, but I do miss the B&N
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:09 AM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I'm skeptical. The B&N in my town is pretty sad. Half of the CD/DVD/Music section has been taken over by toys, but no one bothered to remove the big signs proclaiming "VINYL!" (Are plastic toys vinyl? That's not what that means.)

There's a small NOOK display, but the display models all have dead batteries.

The book shelves have been re-arranged into dead end alcoves and cul-de-sacs. Walking across the store was not straightforward. Like, I thought I would have to roll for wandering monsters. The fire marshal is going to have something to say about that floor plan.

And the rest rooms. Just... no.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:58 AM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I live in small town in Sweden where we don't have any bookstore at all, but fortunately a very good library. "Fortunately" because even though I hate reading paper books I love being around them!
When visiting USA now and then (2008-2016) I have been in a handful or so different BN stores and they have all been so nice. I've especially liked the mix of books an relaxation areas. Maybe that's not unique for BN, but it was new to me and if they can come back to that (if it has been gone?), good! (Of course I also loved the Nook displays back in the days, being a huge Nook fan back then!)

Last edited by Asawi; 01-31-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:26 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The closet B&N to me is a 25 mile drive. There used to be one at the local strip mall, but it's a Books-a-Million now, which I've gone to exactly once.

When B&N was there, it was dirty, expensive, and carried more games and toys than books. Their prices were always 30-70% higher than other sources. Staffing was always a problem, so there was always a line.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote