Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2022, 07:02 PM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm familiar. I don't think my Amazon Basics pajama pants would count as a 'device'
Ever watched "The Wrong Pair of Trousers" starring Wallace and Grommet?

Beware penguins interfering with your pyjamas.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But I don't think demand for those products is growing very robustly except with geekier folks.
Ironically, most of the "geekier folks" I'm acquainted with (sysops/IT people/programmers) avoid smart devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TechEnthusiastsVsProgrammers.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	197687

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-12-2022 at 08:33 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2022, 09:14 PM   #33
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ironically, most of the "geekier folks" I'm acquainted with (sysops/IT people/programmers) avoid smart devices.

Attachment 197687
that "2004 printer" was a bit over hyperbolic
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
My experience has been the opposite. And I AM sysops/IT people/programmers. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:39 PM   #35
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I worked in IT before retirement. I don't shun smart devices. But I do analyse at them on an individual basis before purchasing.

For example, internet controlled front door locks or internet controlled overhead garage door opener. I can say nyet to those without even researching. Can you say "gaping security hole"? Internet controlled thermostat. Hmmm, I'm wondering why I would ever want to control or even check on my house temperature remotely. Nein. WiFi connected toilet. Might be good for a party prank sometime, but otherwise ... non.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2022, 10:45 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I think I qualify in the sysop/IT person group as well. Other than using a hardware firewall and checking it's log files for unexpected in and outbound traffic, I am quite willing to use the newest technology. More precisely, my wife wants to be able to check everything on her phone and happy wife, happy life. <wry grin>

OTOH, I will admit that I have found "smart devices" with outbound traffic to unexpected ports and IP addresses. Then there a couple of devices that were attempting to maintain a permanent connection to an external IP address. Does a thermostat really need a 24/7 connection so it can respond immediately to any requested changes compared to it's replacement that checks once per minute?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:33 AM   #37
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Worse are reports of smart thermostats turning off the heat when the smartphone that’s connected to them is discovered via Wi-Fi to be in a state several states away, and turning off the heat as a result. Sure it’s nice if everyone in the household is with that smartphone but it’s rather annoying for those who aren’t, and who come home to a freezing house.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:16 AM   #38
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a cheap video camera that some people questioned it's connections to external IP addresses. I didn't verify this myself, but after I had loaded the companies beta firmware to add RSTP capabilities I put the thing on a separate VLAN all by itself and blocked everything with the firewall, except for one incoming connection, on one incoming port, from the one computer (on a different VLAN) that I wanted to observe the RTSP video stream from. So that camera could not initiate ANY outgoing connections to anything, and could not receive ANY incoming connections except from that one computer, on that one port, I had designated and opened the firewall hole for.

In this instance I didn't trust the camera 100% (based on unverified internet reports), so I just firewalled it into oblivion. It must have thought it was stranded on a deserted island somewhere. But that worked for my purposes. This camera was easy to put into a secure box. The typical smart device is a little tougher, but you usually can take a few steps to mitigate your concerns if you think that is warranted, and you're willing to do your research and put in a little work.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:55 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm familiar. I don't think my Amazon Basics pajama pants would count as a 'device'
You're correct. There are lots of things branded Amazon Basics that aren't devices.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:23 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I had a cheap video camera that some people questioned it's connections to external IP addresses.
You aren't being paranoid. Issues have been unauthorised viewing and also bot net operators simply using them as more fire power, because not only is connection insecure but the OS FW insecure too.
Internet of Things (IoT) is a disaster:
Security (3rd party access & used to profile house use)
Privacy (supplying company spying for Ad info and Amazon gives Ring files to Police without warrant!)
Bricking. Devices that can only be configured via supplier's server and either it's offline, or your internet is lost or supplier closes service.
I would not use anything that needs the Internet to work day to day other than Web Browser and email.

Tesco supermarket had an own brand tablet. It connects to Internet on a Factory reset and after they stopped selling them they turned off the server. Thereafter any tablet factory reset was bricked. Tesco denied they switched off the servers (2016?) and said the ver1 and Ver2 were EOL anyway. As of 2022 you need to root and install hacked FW on the Hudl.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-13-2022 at 06:29 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:48 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I worked in IT before retirement. I don't shun smart devices. But I do analyse at them on an individual basis before purchasing.

For example, internet controlled front door locks or internet controlled overhead garage door opener. I can say nyet to those without even researching. Can you say "gaping security hole"? Internet controlled thermostat. Hmmm, I'm wondering why I would ever want to control or even check on my house temperature remotely. Nein. WiFi connected toilet. Might be good for a party prank sometime, but otherwise ... non.
I have been using a Wi-Fi thermostat, in my store since 2010. It is great to be able to set it to the temp I want when I get up and be comfortable when I get to work. During the summers we can have lows in the upper 80's. It replaced a programmable thermostat that was less than reliable. I also have two HVAC systems in my house, and both are controlled by Wi-F thermostats. Before we close the store, I turn them on, and we are comfortable when we get home. The same goes for taking trips. They were also useful when my wife had her hip replaced and she could set the temperature without having to walk down the halls. I installed one in my mother's house too. She has macular degeneration, and she can set the temperature using Alexa. So yes, some of us do find them useful.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
When I tell my home automation server that I'm "Away", the thermostat goes down and key lights go into a randomized pattern for the evening. My aging freezer will send me an unencrypted text if it gets too warm for too long. I've also built my own smart garage door opening device that integrates with Alexa (they automatically close if left open late at night), but since my garage is separate from my home, I consider the convenience to far out weight any security concerns. But I don't think that much about the security aspects of smart devices/home automation in the first place. I consider my home to be just as easy to break into by determined thieves as it was pre smart devices. And the casual thief probably won't be toting the gear needed to hack my automation stuff anyway.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-13-2022 at 09:57 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon Basics is Amazon branding stuff made by other companies.
Right. No different tactic from other 'house brands'.
Kenmore, Silvertone were Sear brands, mostly made by others, some with specific tweaks.
I worked in a VCR repair shop. I can't count how many brand labels came in that were basically (the mechanical pieces were almost 100% interchangeable) the RCA VCR. Sears, Radio Shack and many more.
The Epson MX80 printer wore a number of Corporate colors and badges: IBM, HP, TI ...
A big name brand is going to watchdog the quality because their good name is on the line.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Attachment 197687
Bingo!

I grew up in Snow/Winter storm country. My folks had more than a weeks Off Grid supplies (lots more, but things got real boring).
I've been lucky for years, without interruptions of more than a day. I know folk that went weeks (or never, lost everything) during the same event
Which is also why my Media collection is physical.Things fail. Companies fail or go dark (outages).
I get to enjoy my entertainment, even when on Generator or battery.
I also have my entire Network and Cable Modem on UPS. (You should see the speed I get, when the neighborhood is stuck in the dark.)
So many people have given up on providing their own redundancy in the name of convenience. When Major disasters happen, it can be a long time on your own. Starbucks may be closed, but I can boil water in the fireplace and pour it over the grounds in the funnel from my coffee maker. (FWIW I was known at my last job as 'the guy who made coffee' (in a put the grounds in the filter and push BREW. That is right 2018 and half the folk could not even make a pot of coffee )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #45
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache
I have been using a Wi-Fi thermostat, in my store since 2010.
It makes more sense when you maintain/control multiple locations. I had not considered that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
I consider my home to be just as easy to break into by determined thieves as it was pre smart devices.
You do have a point there. Why mess with hacking a smart device to break in when a rock thrown through a window will suffice?

I guess what I really don't like about many smart devices is that they rely not only on the internet, but on some third party server owned by some corporation. I don't like it, but I realize it is the only way for some devices. The devices I mentioned earlier - Alexa devices - certainly are going to require more intelligence/processing than what's contained in that little plastic thingy you place in your home. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer when they initially supply a free web access account, that they later convert to a pay account. Can you say "RING doorbell"? Initially it's free, but pretty soon you have to start paying a monthly fee. You are totally dependent on a third party server in the cloud. If the internet goes down, or the manufacture goes out of business, there's nothing you can do. Your money was flushed down the toilet. There is no local control of the device.

[ edit: I just re-read what I typed below. It was meant to be an example of what I consider a "good" smart device. But it almost sounds like an advertisement as I re-read it. Not my original intent. But it's still a good example of what I think a smart device should be. ]

A good example of the kind of smart devices I prefer is my lawn sprinkler controller. You can create an account with the manufacture to control it remotely. But you don't have to. The thing hosts it's own complete webserver and implements all functions locally. So you can log into it's full interface directly from your LAN, with no outside internet connection being required. The manufacturer offers remote connectivity "from anywhere" via an smartphone app that can connect through their servers as a middleman to your device at home. But you can implement that same functionality yourself with a home-hosted VPN. Their smart phone app normally connects to their servers, but you can direct it to connect to any IP address you want - including directly over your home VPN. Many smart sprinkler controllers will default back to a "standard" watering schedule if they lose internet connectivity. The one I have operates completely locally, so it keeps running on it's custom programmed schedule whether internet is present or not. It has the ability to adjust watering day, times and durations based on weather forecasts (which it downloads from the internet). But if the internet goes away, you just lose those weather-based tweaks and it doesn't make any adjustments to you normally programmed schedule and runs it "as is". Personally, I don't use any of the internet-based weather tweaks except for the "freeze warning", which will shut down the system so you don't end up with frozen sprinkler lines. But since a weather forecast of "90% chance of rain" doesn't mean that it is guaranteed to rain, I use a physical rain sensor in my backyard hooked up to the controller that it uses to decide watering schedules depending on if it's raining or not. If push comes to shove, and your router goes down so your smart phone can't talk to the sprinkler controller, you can always plug your laptop into it (it has an ethernet jack). If that fails, you can program and control it via buttons and an LCD display on the front.

This sprinkler controller is what I call a good "smart" design. You CAN use the internet to facilitate things, but you don't have to. If the manufacturer goes out of business tomorrow my controller will still work to it's full capacity. It's a pretty smart little bugger, and it was only something like $49 in the end (because my city has huge rebates on your water bill if you install a smart sprinkler controller - my rebate was $150 IIRC!) This excellent controller came out being cheaper than a standard dumb controller because of the city rebate (I knew that when I bought it, which is why I bought it). Plus, it's got 16 zones - twice as many as I need (I bought the larger zone model for future expansion). You can use the extra zones to hook up lighting or some other 24vac thing if you want to. You can even tell it what to do verbally via Alexa, Siri or Google Assistant, although I haven't bothered to try and set that up yet.

https://rainmachine.com for anyone interested. I have the Pro-16 model.

Last edited by haertig; 11-13-2022 at 01:19 PM.