Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
oldvaxguy2
oldvaxguy2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hello, New person to the forums.

Where would you go to download an Unpopulated (template) HTML file for creating a book for the Kindle?
I would like to have a cover, Table of contents and chapters. Thank-you in advance.

the OLD vax guy
oldvaxguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Welcome, oldvaxguy - from another grumpy old git !
(Who hasn't a clue what you're talking about , but I'm sure one of our vastly knowledgable members will, and can help you .)

Does your moniker mean you have a romantic attraction for a certain make of household electical appliances ?

This is - to a certain, fairly elastic and broadminded extent - a family show, after all .....

Enjoy yerself
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
That's great. I was about to ask the same question. :d Please help us.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Too young really... being of a clean and open mind (and a tad older), I think he means the VAX computer family originally developed in 1977 by DEC
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvaxguy2 View Post
Where would you go to download an Unpopulated (template) HTML file for creating a book for the Kindle?
I would like to have a cover, Table of contents and chapters. Thank-you in advance.

the OLD vax guy
I think Sigil will do what you want, you can make a table of content and many other things (I don't know much, I've only used it once).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Welcome new guy.
I'm no expert on these things but I don't think that such a template exists. Fortunately for the kindle you don't really need to mess around with HTML. Get the Smashwords style guide, format your .doc following the guidlines and when you upload it to Amazon you should get a pretty good result after the conversion.
Alternatively you can get the Mobipocket Creator and it will take your .doc, turn it into an HTML document and allow you to edit it that way.
Unfortunately there is no simple plug and play "here's my words, make them a book," program but adding internal links for your .toc and inserting your cover art is easy and well explained in the style guide I alluded to earlier.
Unless of course I'm wrong, it's been a while since I published anything and someone may have streamlined things since then.
Either way, good luck to you!
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
oldvaxguy2
oldvaxguy2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
First Thank-you William F I will follow you recommendations. As for the other youngsters on here I was alluding to the DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) family of computers know as VAX's. A fairly robust computer that would run forever with out crashing.
oldvaxguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi Old Vax Guy! I have fond memories of playing 'rogue' on a Vax.

My best advice is to go to the "Epub" forum and you will find a bunch of advice on making books in the epub format. There is a good editor called "Sigil" and a good tool that will manage these books called "Calibre".

HOWEVER: the kindle will not read .epub files. So Calibre (I believe) will convert them to .mobi which is what the Kindle likes.

With the competing reader formats - there is no 1 software solution to do what you want. So many people have standardized on the .epub format for editing/creating documents, then converting them to PDF, MOBI, etc. for their particular reader.

It IS a bit chaotic - but it is better than having 1 company dominate the industry with it's DRM infested concept of what is 'better' for us.

EDIT:

Below is a interesting article on ebook formatting you might like.

http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-...ok-formatting/

Last edited by FatDog; 02-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Angry Mmmph.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Too young really... being of a clean and open mind (and a tad older), I think he means the VAX computer family originally developed in 1977 by DEC
Young ?

That's the funniest thing said to me this week........

As for this computer thing, well, there's no fun in that

I prefer the vacuum cleaner arrangement.

Although if it's a lasting personal relationship you're after, I think the Henry (or Henrietta, naturally) is the better bet ...............

Err....Not that I would know with absolute certainty, of course......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote