Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Albyr
Enthusiast
Albyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
DR800S has arrived - what now?

My DR800S arrived this morning. Other than putting books onto it, what else should I do? Are there any must-have programs I should install? (Not that I've no idea how to install them BTW.)

Basically, which DR800S beginner threads on mobileread should I be reading?
Albyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
JRG
JRG began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Given your interest in reading 8.5x11 PDF documents, you might check out GregorRichard's TechPDF:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81219

That might give you easier viewing of your screenplays.
JRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Congratulations!
Don't know if they are shipping with the new firmware, but you can get it from here

It adds a lot of functionality and makes the unit much more useful.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Don't know if they are shipping with the new firmware.
I would assume not, since it's still beta.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Albyr
Enthusiast

It's been charging for hours now (couple of hours at work, plus four hours at home) and the orange light is still orange, not green. I've been turning on occasionally to check progress and the battery keeps saying "99% available". Is this normal? Does the battery require a few 'cycles' to get to normal behaviour? I've turned it on a few times, looked at a couple of pages at work running on battery. Should I leave it charging? Or just start using properly?
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are both known issues.
  1. There's a bug in the firmware that can prevent it from turning green. It only effects the LED, not the charging itself.
  2. It takes a couple charge/discharge cycles before the battery meter is fully calibrated. That may be why it's saying 99% instead of 100%.

It sounds to me like you're good to go and can start using it.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Albyr
Enthusiast

Is there any way to sort "books" into directories? I've made subdirectories underneath the "Books" directory in the memory, but everything just appears in one long list. I'd like to separate books from screenplays from comics from papers. Is this possible?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Albyr
Enthusiast

And is there a way to skip to a particular page in a PDF? I don't want to have to click the button a hundred times to get to page 100!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albyr View Post
Is there any way to sort "books" into directories? I've made subdirectories underneath the "Books" directory in the memory, but everything just appears in one long list. I'd like to separate books from screenplays from comics from papers. Is this possible?
Yes. Search for "folder hack" in this forum. (*)
Just adding a single line to DR.ini and you've got folder view (the "flat structure" still remains available, you can have both).

(*) For example, the hack is described somewhere in the middle of my thread "unboxing DR 800"
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

FYI, the beta firmware supports a new advanced option to turn on folder support, so that you don't need to do the "hack" previously mentioned.

Regarding your other question, the beta firmware also has a new "goto page" feature that does exactly what you're asking about.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

As a followup to my previous post, the beta software doesn't seem to have any major bugs in it. It's been very stable for me (and most others from what I can tell on here). I would highly recommend trying it out, since it adds a LOT of functionality to the device (especially about things you're specifically asking for).

You can easily revert back to the original firmware if you decide to.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Go ahead and flash the new firmware. Except for some minor problems with battery life you will be glad you did.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
zacitana
a happy reader
zacitana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR800S :))
I didn't want to open a new thread but I have the same question(s) as Albyr - I want to install (or whatever you do with it) the beta firmware on my new DR800S (it's finally here! ), just don't know how (I'm a complete n00b regarding gadgets and firmware, don't know the first thing about it) - help is much appreciated
zacitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacitana View Post
... I want to install (or whatever you do with it) the beta firmware on my new DR800S ..., just don't know how (I'm a complete n00b regarding gadgets and firmware, don't know the first thing about it) - help is much appreciated
This IREX blog post has step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the 2.0 beta firmware update: http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/...dr800s-and-sg-2-0-software-available/ . Be sure to download the correct zip file for your device, either dr800s or dr800sg.
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
zacitana
a happy reader
zacitana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR800S :))
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm35 View Post
This IREX blog post has step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the 2.0 beta firmware update: http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/...dr800s-and-sg-2-0-software-available/ . Be sure to download the correct zip file for your device, either dr800s or dr800sg.
ok, I did it, it works beautifully, thank you very much

(may I at this point express how delighted I am with DR800? )

I'm about to install the FBReader, are there any other useful applications that could be recommended?
zacitana is offline   Reply With Quote