Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #31
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Thumbs up

I too am disappointed by the lack of pdf navigation features (table of contents and clickable links within the document), but I certainly won't be sending my DX back.

It's still the best e-ink device out there for the money for viewing pdfs in their native form with a screen big enough to make that feasible (pan & zoom is just too slow for me on e-ink, so a 10" screen is mandatory).

The only other option out there is the iRex DS1000, but quality problems (both software and hardware) that I keep reading about make me uncomfortable, plus it's more expensive. The Plastic Logic reader looks very promising, but it won't be out until next year.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by exreader View Post
oh, yeah, since Kdx uses the same engine as plastic logic... i haven't checked to see if .epub files are supported (quietly)... they COULD be, it's just a bit flip. i'm sure someone out there is going to figure out where the config file lives

pdf: yes
epub: no
rtf: no
txt: yes
azw: yes
.mobi: yes
.prc: yes
Remember, Mobipocket support is without DRM. I do doubt that ePub is under the hood. This is Amazon. If it's not something they sell, they really don't want to allow it. This is why (IMHO) PDF support is so lackluster. Amazon doesn't sell PDF, so they didn't want to give decent support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Bear View Post
I wonder what was Amazon's rush to get it out in June anyway? Why not August or September and get it right?
I'm guessing here based on the rumors about Sony. If the rumors are true about Sony, then Amazon released the DX to beat Sony to market with a larger screen device. And even if the rumors of Sony's forthcoming larger screen device in August are not true or the date is off, then I'll also guess Amazon released the DX now in case the rumors are true. But why release the DX with crippled PDF support when PDF is one of it's selling points?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm guessing here based on the rumors about Sony. If the rumors are true about Sony, then Amazon released the DX to beat Sony to market with a larger screen device. And even if the rumors of Sony's forthcoming larger screen device in August are not true or the date is off, then I'll also guess Amazon released the DX now in case the rumors are true. But why release the DX with crippled PDF support when PDF is one of it's selling points?
I doubt the recent rumor of a large Sony device had anything to do with it. We've known Amazon had a large screen Kindle coming since at least last October (whenever it was Tech Crunch predicted the Kindle 2... rmember the pink artist rendering).

If Amazon did rush the DX, I think it would have been in response to the Plastic Logic Reader. This Sony rumor seems to just be weeks old.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #35
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
This is Amazon. If it's not something they sell, they really don't want to allow it. This is why (IMHO) PDF support is so lackluster. Amazon doesn't sell PDF, so they didn't want to give decent support.
Quote:
But why release the DX with crippled PDF support when PDF is one of it's selling points?
Maybe it's just me, but you seem to be contradicting yourself.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #36
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's within one's price range, I think the iRex DR1000 is unquestionably the best eInk device on the market at present for PDF. It supports all the things that the DX lacks - table of contents, hyperlinks, dictionary lookup, markup, flexible zooming, etc.
With the DR1000 can you search in PDFs? Also is there a "go to page" feature or is it still the click on the bar at the bottom functionality to move through docs?
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #37
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
I did not own a Kindle before the DX but owned an iLiad Book Edition. I can confidently say that the Kindle is, in *most* respects, a more practical and more useful e-reading device than the iLiad BE. The biggest thing that bothered me about the iLiad was the lack of a sleep mode coupled with the horrendous battery life. That is certainly not a concern with the Kindle family of devices. I get access to the Amazon Kindle store right on the device while getting books on to the iLiad was a bit more work. I also greatly appreciate the larger screen as I can comfortably read most of my journal articles in portrait mode with the white spaces trimmed. I do miss the select-and-zoom mode from the iLiad and being able to write on the PDFs but not as much. The Kindle definitely feels like a much more solidly built device with a much better case than the iLiad BE.

In all, I am really happy and will be selling off my iLiad BE soon. I do hope that Amazon adds more features to the PDF reader in subsequent updates but even if they don't, I am quite satisfied and enjoying my purchase
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #38
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
My point with the mention of Sony releasing one that aside from the Kindle functionality, the PDF functionality being more or less pathetic, if Sony released a big screen reader that was cheaper I'd get it just for that and keep my K2.

The PDF viewer in the KDX is essentially a glorified picture viewer. And that is not at all how the marketed it. So if there was another option that was cheaper with better functionality on just this one issue than I'd be interested. I'd not ever get a Sony for an ebook reader (again) but for having a big screen PDF viewer I would.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Then it's a Sprint problem in your area, not an Kindle problem. Or, you're mistaken or deliberately misrepresenting the truth.
I'm not going to get into a flaming war over this...but I'm definately not misrepresenting the truth. Whether it is a Sprint problem or an Amazon problem is out of my ability to judge. The fact that Amazon exclusively chose Sprint over carriers like Verizon and AT&T which have much better coverage, especially in rural areas, doesn't help matters. At any rate, Amazon admitted that the first two K2s were bad since I should have a strong Sprint signal in the middle of a metroplex with over six million people and so they replaced them without any hassle.

And as a published Kindle author (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024NLL04), I certainly would not criticize Amazon or the K2 just for grins. I only point out the unfortunate short-comings and hope they can correct them.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #40
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not going to get into a flaming war over this...
Well I can't invalidate your experience. But I don't want people reading your "review" and coming away with the idea that the Kindle wireless, one of it's primary features that make it a reason to get over the Sony, doesn't really work. Your experience is EXTREMELY atypical, and should not be taken into consideration by most purchasers.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #41
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Well I can't invalidate your experience. But I don't want people reading your "review" and coming away with the idea that the Kindle wireless, one of it's primary features that make it a reason to get over the Sony, doesn't really work. Your experience is EXTREMELY atypical, and should not be taken into consideration by most purchasers.
Actually the fact that such atypical things can happen may be more valuable information than thousand happy reviews. It can warn users of potential risk before purchase.

If a patient is considering a surgery with 99% success rate, I think he/she has the right to know 1% failure rate instead of being kept ignorant of such atypical cases.

Last edited by soilwork; 06-14-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Typo
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #42
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Actually the fact that such atypical things can happen may be more valuable information than thousand happy reviews. It can warn users of potential risk before purchase.

If a patient is considering a surgery with 99% success rate, I think they have the right to know 1% failure rate instead of being kept ignorant of such atypical cases.
I agree...I would want to know about these things.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #43
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post

If a patient is considering a surgery with 99% success rate, I think he/she has the right to know 1% failure rate instead of being kept ignorant of such atypical cases.
Definitely!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #44
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It's not just knowing the 1% failure rate (though it's probably lower for the Kindle) but also knowing what it means in day to day life.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #45
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon
That is actually a concern of mine. I sent back a $150 air filter a couple of weeks ago as well as a text book and after that debacle that one individual had I'm nervous!
Can you elaborate on that or provide a link? Sounds like an interesting story.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote