Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Strange Overdrive Problem

I decided I wanted to check out some Harry Potter books. I have 4 libraries that I can access. The two Houston libraries didn't show any Harry Potter books which I thought was amazingly strange but it gets worse.

The Denver library showed all of the Harry Potter books so I put a hold on the first one (Sorcerer's Stone). After placing the hold it displayed the Rowling books again and the only book showing was her new non-Harry Potter book. I did another search from scratch on Rowling and no Harry Potter books showed up!

I went to my 4th library (Fort Bend) and searched on Rowling and all the Harry Potter books showed up and all were available for checkout. I checked out Sorcerer's Stone and downloaded it no problem. However, just like Denver, when it re-displayed the Rowling books only the non-Harry Potter book showed up. The same when I did a search from scratch.

What the heck is going on??
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I just checked four of my California libraries. They all show the series. Most of the books have wait lists.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I just checked my library and found no Harry Potter books. I know they've been there in the past.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wawasteele -- try and check one out or place a hold and see if the books show up after that --
Old 01-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I placed all 7 books on hold and I still see them when I search. This is at BPL (BOSTON).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just checked two libraries and they show all the Harry Potter books plus some oddments such as the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. I put 5 on hold at each library and they still showed in the search. I checked out Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Special Rehearsal Edition Script) from one and it showed in the next search as being wait listable.

The British Libraries Harry Potter: A Journey Through the History Of Magic shows as a OverDrive Read only. I suspect too many issues with people downloading an epub3 fixed layout ebook and not being able to view it properly.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-20-2018 at 09:48 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A quick check of my local library shows all of Potter in eBook and audio in English, German & French and also all of them as just eBooks in Italian, Chinese, & Spanish (Castilian). They all still show up fine after placing some on hold.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I decided I wanted to check out some Harry Potter books. I have 4 libraries that I can access. The two Houston libraries didn't show any Harry Potter books which I thought was amazingly strange but it gets worse.

The Denver library showed all of the Harry Potter books so I put a hold on the first one (Sorcerer's Stone). After placing the hold it displayed the Rowling books again and the only book showing was her new non-Harry Potter book. I did another search from scratch on Rowling and no Harry Potter books showed up!

I went to my 4th library (Fort Bend) and searched on Rowling and all the Harry Potter books showed up and all were available for checkout. I checked out Sorcerer's Stone and downloaded it no problem. However, just like Denver, when it re-displayed the Rowling books only the non-Harry Potter book showed up. The same when I did a search from scratch.

What the heck is going on??
I checked Denver overdrive (not signed in), and I see a bunch of Harry Potter books.

I also checked BPL (Brooklyn), and they have a bunch of the books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Larla
Addict

OK -- my problem was filter settings. I had General Adult & Mature Adult only set for filter settings. I think one time I was searching for Shakespeare and got back a bunch of books designed for kids so I changed the filters to adults only.

Once I changed it to All Audiences then Boom -- all the Harry Potter books appeared. Even Young Adult filtered out Harry Potter.

Not sure why on 2 of the libraries it showed all of the books initially and then switched to the filtered view.

Thanks to everybody for checking --and apologies for my mistake.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I checked Denver overdrive (not signed in), and I see a bunch of Harry Potter books.

I also checked BPL (Brooklyn), and they have a bunch of the books.
BPL is BOSTON, not Brooklyn.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BPL is BOSTON, not Brooklyn.
No, I was checking the B(rooklyn)PL.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
OK -- my problem was filter settings. I had General Adult & Mature Adult only set for filter settings. I think one time I was searching for Shakespeare and got back a bunch of books designed for kids so I changed the filters to adults only.

Once I changed it to All Audiences then Boom -- all the Harry Potter books appeared. Even Young Adult filtered out Harry Potter.

Not sure why on 2 of the libraries it showed all of the books initially and then switched to the filtered view.

Thanks to everybody for checking --and apologies for my mistake.
That's probably why I didn't see any either. I also usually have my settings on Adult.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Wawasteele -- try and check one out or place a hold and see if the books show up after that --
Sorry, I've been away a few days and just now saw this. I see, however, that the problem seems to be solved.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote