Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Font Ligature Issues

Hey, everybody!

I've been working on rather an ambitious project over these last months, having wanted to do up as an ebook a 16th century "magical" text, while at the same time creating a brand-new font (based on that original source document) to go along with it.

Being an old-style font like that (blackletter) -- not to mention an old-style book, too -- it's full of the long "s" character throughout, and the font needed a whole bunch of extra ligatures to go along with that. I've got all the usual "regular" ligatures (liga), plus an additional bunch of "discretionary" ligs.

The weird thing is that when I test the font (that I've made myself) in my font program, all the ligature lookups come out just fine, and work just like they're supposed to -- but then, when I embed the font into my ebook and view it, only the "liga" ones render and display automatically, none of the "dlig" ones are showing up.

I have no idea why! I've edited fonts in the past, and created new discretionary ligs myself, and got them to work just fine in my ebooks -- it's beyond me why they're not working now (especially since they all work fine when I test those ligature lookups out in my font program).

Any ideas? Here's the code I'm using in my CSS -- which I learned how to do in these forums, and which seem to have worked just fine no problem. Is there perhaps an issue I'm not aware of in there?...

Code:
@font-face {
	font-family: "Caps";
	font-style: normal;
	src: url("../Fonts/Wickednesse.ttf") format("truetype");
	-webkit-hyphens:none;
	-epub-hyphens:none;
	-moz-hyphens:none;
	hyphens:none;
	-moz-font-feature-settings: "hist=1, liga=1, dlig=1";
	-ms-font-feature-settings: "hist", "liga", "dlig";
	-webkit-font-feature-settings: "hist", "liga", "dlig";
	-o-font-feature-settings: "hist", "liga", "dlig";
	font-feature-settings: "hist", "liga", "dlig";
}
One thing I did already try what changing the "format" in the above code from "truetype" to "opentype," since my font is a TT font that includes OT features. That seemed to make no difference -- either way, my "regular" ligs (liga) show up no prob, while the "discretionary" ones (dlig) don't.

Any help is much appreciated!
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess nobody knows the answer to my question, but in my font I changed all my discretionary ligature lookups to standard lig lookups, and now everything works okay. That's rather weird, I could've sworn that other discretionary ligs that I'd created myself in other fonts did show up just fine -- but perhaps I'm mistaken about that.

In any case, is this others' experience, too -- that only standard ligs show up as they're supposed to in ebooks, but not discretionary ones?
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Readers based on Adobe RMSDK, (at least up to RMSDK 10 / ADE 3) only use ligature substitutions from 'liga', and ignore 'dlig', 'hlig', etc.

Putting all ligatures in 'liga' as you have done is the only solution I think.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Ah, okay -- great, thanks! It's nice to have confirmation that I'm not losing my marbles.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Readers based on Adobe RMSDK, (at least up to RMSDK 10 / ADE 3) only use ligature substitutions from 'liga', and ignore 'dlig', 'hlig', etc.

Putting all ligatures in 'liga' as you have done is the only solution I think.
That would be the best solution for backwards compatibility.

@Psymon: I found out by chance that the latest RMSDK 12.5.0 based ADE versions, e.g. ADE 4.5.4, support at least some OpenType features (I only tested, hlig, dlig, onum and smcp), in epub3 books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenTyp.png
Views:	263
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	154915  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Libertine_OT_epub3.epub (554.3 KB, 192 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now if only we could get RMDSK 12.5.0 without the new DRM. Does any Reader use RMDSK 12.5.0?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I found out by chance that the latest RMSDK 12.5.0 based ADE versions, e.g. ADE 4.5.4, support at least some OpenType features (I only tested, hlig, dlig, onum and smcp), in epub3 books.
Oh, that's odd, because it's in ADE that I test my books first, and where I noticed that all my dlig lookups weren't working, only the liga ones (didn't have any hlig or anything else).

In any case, changing all my lookups to standard ones instead of discretionary did the trick -- although I'm not really enough of an expert (by any means) with type design to know if there's any negative repercussions of doing so.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Oh, that's odd, because it's in ADE that I test my books first, and where I noticed that all my dlig lookups weren't working, only the liga ones (didn't have any hlig or anything else).

In any case, changing all my lookups to standard ones instead of discretionary did the trick -- although I'm not really enough of an expert (by any means) with type design to know if there's any negative repercussions of doing so.
I tested Doitsu's ePub with ADE 2.0.1, some version ADE 3.x as used in Bluefire Reader for Windows), & my Kobo Aura H2O with the latest firmware. None of them worked to show the OpenType features. Seems we need the newest version for that. The problem is that most programs/app/Readers using RMDSK (ADE) are not using the latest version and thus, the OpenType features won't work in more cases than they will work.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tested Doitsu's ePub with ADE 2.0.1, some version ADE 3.x as used in Bluefire Reader for Windows), & my Kobo Aura H2O with the latest firmware. None of them worked to show the OpenType features. Seems we need the newest version for that. The problem is that most programs/app/Readers using RMDSK (ADE) are not using the latest version and thus, the OpenType features won't work in more cases than they will work.
Thanks for checking that out (re testing and stuff) -- hope you didn't go to all that trouble just for little ol' me! Nice to have confirmation, though, even if it's not the result one was hoping for.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for checking that out (re testing and stuff) -- hope you didn't go to all that trouble just for little ol' me! Nice to have confirmation, though, even if it's not the result one was hoping for.
I did it to for you and me. I wanted to see what worked. I was hoping I would be able to use the small caps in Charis SIL (my version CareInk) so I could very easily go from fake small caps to real small caps with just a simple CSS change.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-11-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The dlig lookups only work with epub3 books and only with ADE 4.5.4 or higher. (ADE has two different rendering engines.)

Quote:
I tested Doitsu's ePub with ADE 2.0.1, some version ADE 3.x as used in Bluefire Reader for Windows) [...]
As I clearly stated in my post, the test epub only works with the ADE 4.5.4 for Windows and ADE for Android. If you download and install either program, you'll get the same results.

Please re-test my test file with ADE 4.5.4 for Windows/Android.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Please re-test my test file with ADE 4.5.4 for Windows/Android.
I cannot do that as it means installing ADE 4.5.4 and since I want nothing to do with the new DRM, it's a no go.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I cannot do that as it means installing ADE 4.5.4 and since I want nothing to do with the new DRM, it's a no go.
You can safely install several different ADE versions side by side. BTW, Blue Fire Reader for Android (and iOS) uses an outdated RMSDK engine. For comparison testing you might want to install the official ADE for Android version, which is always more up-to-date than the Bluefire version.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
I did it to for you and me. I wanted to see what worked.
Well, thank you once again for that effort!

Quote:
The dlig lookups only work with epub3 books and only with ADE 4.5.4 or higher. (ADE has two different rendering engines.)
Oh, that explains why my EPUB2 tests didn't work. Aha.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can safely install several different ADE versions side by side. BTW, Blue Fire Reader for Android (and iOS) uses an outdated RMSDK engine. For comparison testing you might want to install the official ADE for Android version, which is always more up-to-date than the Bluefire version.
I mostly wanted to test my H2O given that it recently had a new firmware released for it. I tested both whatever version RMDSK and whatever version Access and neither worked with the OT features. I'm curious if koreader would work.