Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the two area's that concern me are

1. Will amazon create a walled garden and lock out the full Android Market and make you use only their android app store. Can't imagine they would want a nook app on their Amazon tablet or a Netflix or a Hulu+ app.
I've wondered what their approval policy would be for competitors too. Some good news exists, though I remain wary.

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they disallowed sideloading on their tablets, the very thing they're pressuring ATT to allow in order to get their store on more devices. I don't know what google's rules are for the andriod market, which isn't itself as freely available (though the apks make the rounds anyway) as the OS itself is. If they don't block its install, I wonder if they'll be comfortable enough to go ahead and ship the tablets with the market installed, and if google will allow it.

Personally, I already use the amazon app store more than the android market. If it were fully matured, I'd use it exclusively, though I haven't installed the newest market upgrade to try it out yet.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
2. screen aspect ratio, If there are going to be pushing Amazon Video I do not want to watch shows and movies in 4:3 aspect ratio. I hope they use 16:9 widescreen.
No company would be dumb enough to use that obsolete 4:3 aspect ratio!
Oh wait, I think that there was at least one..
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
ohhh but it's but those huge black bars enhance on just how magical it is and somehow Apple just makes it work.

I think it's safe to assume that they would be using v2.4 or will it be v4.0(Ice Cream) ? That would be nice.

Last edited by boswd; 07-14-2011 at 05:47 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I've wondered what their approval policy would be for competitors too. Some good news exists, though I remain wary.

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they disallowed sideloading on their tablets, the very thing they're pressuring ATT to allow in order to get their store on more devices. I don't know what google's rules are for the andriod market, which isn't itself as freely available (though the apks make the rounds anyway) as the OS itself is. If they don't block its install, I wonder if they'll be comfortable enough to go ahead and ship the tablets with the market installed, and if google will allow it.

Personally, I already use the amazon app store more than the android market. If it were fully matured, I'd use it exclusively, though I haven't installed the newest market upgrade to try it out yet.

ahh nice find. That is good news, but until we see their #1 rival the nook, on there, I'll still have some doubt left.

but I think they would be crazy to block out the Android Market. There are alot of apps still not in there, especially Google Maps, You need that.
So it's a wait and see. I'm rooting for them if they don't wall it off.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
...very unsuccessful too.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've never once used the cameras on my Transformer and doubt I will. I'm more interested in what kind of processing power it might have, if it's just one more Tegra 2 device I'm not very interested. Hopefully by the time it's out we'll be looking at Tegra 3 quad core devices.
Same here. Never used any of the 2 cameras on any of my devices. The only use I see would be Skype, which I don't use. And even then, I wouldn't use Skype on a tablet but on a more portable smartphone.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Cameras just get you into trouble, ask Anthony Weiner. There you are innocently reading in a book. You try to do a dictionary look-up and the next thing you know you've sent a picture of your privates to somebody in your address book.

Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Same here. Never used any of the 2 cameras on any of my devices. The only use I see would be Skype, which I don't use. And even then, I wouldn't use Skype on a tablet but on a more portable smartphone.
IDK, skype or google talk video chat would be a nice feature to have on your tablet. I say at the very least a webcam.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've mentioned this before, but the very reason I decided to jump in and buy an iPad before the second generation came out is that I was afraid it would have a camera (and, of course, it turned out to have not one, but two). If the Kindle tablet has a camera, that will eliminate me as a potential buyer because I work at a place where cameras (including camera phones) are prohibited.

Plus, whenever anyone's asked me to take a picture, I've never felt the need to ask my wife if I could borrow her phone.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote